Hi from Finland!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Oddball Matt
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Re: Hi from Finland!

Post by Oddball Matt »

that pic is too low resolution to zoom in but even from that pic I`m pretty sure the tensioner spring of the adjuster clip is the exact same on both sides, I`ve gone through three sets now and in every single one of them, the originals included, the tensioner springs ( the one I circled in green) were NOT handed, yes the longer end should go behind the shoe opposed to the pictures I provided BUT when I ordered the preload screw/auto adjuster assys to my local parts shop the tensioner spring circled in green on both sides were the exact same in their pouches so I`m forced to fit one so the opening of the top hook is facing front and the other side facing back.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Ok, as I looked at them it seemed to me that the hooks at each end were offset by 90" so one would go left and one right!
Looking at the one you circled the top hook lays across the picture while the bottom one lays into the picture. Thus the hooks are at right angles to each other! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Oddball Matt

Post by Oddball Matt »

fucc me you may be onto it there... now that I think of it that might be the thing I overlooked... they are indeed 90 degrees offset so that could explain it... thanks mate I knew it was sth so trivial I couldn`t point it out myself but cannot figure out what ELSE could it be...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Try swapping them round and let us know how you get on!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Oddball Matt

Post by Oddball Matt »

I have one of the old springs I had on the shelf next to my computer in my hand right now, it is in fact offset 90 degrees so the only possible conclusion is I have indeed mixed the sides which explains why the clips keep popping off! Thank you so much I have no problem admitting I was wrong as I suspected from the get go I just couldn`t figure out why!!! This has been a thorn in my side for a long time as I hate drum brakes with a passion!!! It HAS to be this, thanks again!
Oddball Matt

Post by Oddball Matt »

Well this mystery finally solved itself when I picked up new adjusters and spring kits from my parts shop today... in the bag with the adjuster screw thingies and the adjuster clips, are two black retainer rings that I`m assuming need to go onto the pin on the brake shoe to hold the adjuster clips in place. Neither the shoes that were on the car when I bought it, nor the new adjuster screws I bought before these ones had those so I didn`t know to miss them. Such a small oversight but blatantly obvious now that I see them...
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

Sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees, it happens to everyone! Hopefully you'll get her sorted.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.