DS7 rear tyres

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnJ
My Cars: DS7 E-tense

DS7 rear tyres

Post by JohnJ »

Hi folks, I am after a bit of help. I just bought in February a DS7 E-tense 69 plate with 3500 miles on the clock. It has now done 5500 miles and the back tyres are bald on the other sides one has the metal showing through. Last week while driving in heavy rain and surface water it was like driving on ice the car was all over the place even in 4x4 mode I was down to 35 mph on the motorway. It looks like both wheels are pointing slightly outwards which would cause the tyres to wear excessively. It is due to go into the DS garage to have two recalls checked which I am told are a rear drive shaft issue and water in rear lights. Any info / advice would be much appreciated as the garage I have bought it from are telling me this is standard wear and tear.

Regards
John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS7 rear tyres

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Expect big bills on rear tyres. These are well known to skip all over the place at the rear. They'll look at the water content in the rear lights to determine if they will replace them (based on a sliding scale of water!).

Some more here on rear tyre wear:

viewtopic.php?t=67447

Here's the recall info regarding the rear tyre wear:
DS7 Crossback e-Tense (2019 – 2021)
Published on 28. 01. 2022
Problem description:

There is a risk of premature wearing of the rear tyres (inner edge of the wheel) that can lead to a sudden loss of tyre pressure, which may increase the risk of an accident.

The DS7 Crossback e-Tense vehicles affected by this recall were fitted with T&N 205/55 R19 97V tyres with a class A-label and manufactured between 19 February 2019 and 18 May 2021.

DS Automobiles recall code: HWK
Affected models: DS7 Crossback e-Tense
Vehicle numbers (worldwide): 3,188

Source: Rapex Alert 1/2022 A12/00011/22
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Iansel
My Cars: DS7, VW ID.3, Triumph TR3,
Gone - BMW 123, Megans , Grand Scenics, Xantia, Renault 21, Peugeot 405

Post by Iansel »

check the thread 'Rear Suspension noise DS7' many have had a similar problem with Rear Swing Arms. (mine were replaced under warranty/recall)
JohnJ

Post by JohnJ »

Cheers folks, some really good info re the rear tyres and wheels. I’ll se what the DS garage says next week. Just hope it’s not raining when I drive it to the garage!
Iansel

Post by Iansel »

Are you really still driving around with what sounds like seriously illegal and dangerous tyres?
JohnJ

Post by JohnJ »

No car is off the road, the garage I bought it from which still has warranty have said it’s normal wear & tear. This can’t be tight after 5000 miles
PS the car has only done just 5500 miles in total this can’t be right on the original tyres?
Iansel

Post by Iansel »

I'm at 24000 on original tyres and still 5k left.
JohnJ

Post by JohnJ »

No car is off the road, the garage I bought it from which still has warranty have said it’s normal wear & tear. This can’t be tight after 5000 miles
PS the car has only done just 5500 miles in total this can’t be right on the original tyres?
Iansel

Post by Iansel »

Regarding water in rear lights this is also a well documented problem and is also subject to a recall. Mine is getting a new rear passenger side light fitting next week free of charge. List price is about £450 fitted. Caused by a poor sealing gasket at the rear of the light unit which needs replacement as well as the light unit itself. water in the unit causes degradation of the reflector which become dull.
super8
Donor 2024
My Cars: DS7 Crossback 1.6 PureTech
Citroen DS5 2.0 HDI
Mini Cooper 1.6
Ford Kuga 1.5d
Citroen C4 picasso 1.8
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

Post by super8 »

Hi Guys,

I got new tires for the back as they wore out faster than the front ones. After driving 4k km, I saw the outer part of the back tires lost 2mm of tread. When I changed the tires, I also aligned all four wheels. Could this be a problem with the suspension? I have never seen rear tyries wear so quick, in other my cars they last few years,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is usually the front that wear first, were all the steering is done that wears them out more quickly, but it's known that the rears can suffer from 'skipping' across the road on these models.

The only thing I can see recorded for issues is shaking of the bodywork and steering wheel that requires new front hub carriers and driveshafts depending on the outcome of tests to check the radial force.

Marc
super8
Donor 2024
Citroen DS5 2.0 HDI
Mini Cooper 1.6
Ford Kuga 1.5d
Citroen C4 picasso 1.8
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

Post by super8 »

I was wondering earlier why the rear tires wore out so quickly. After replacing them a month ago (for Turanza 6), I checked, and as I mentioned before, it's 2mm in a month, which seems quite a lot. I'll go to the local garage and see what they say. Thanks for the advice. Any further suggestions are welcome.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Only that from personal experience, I removed the Bridgestone Turanza tyres from my Aircross not long after getting it. The worst tyres I've ever had. The car was handling horribly and the rubber was all cracked and deteriorating at the side walls. Absolutely no grip (even with the Grip Control system I have), I complained to Bridgestone were going to take them back, but I told them, I've already binned them and replaced them with Michelin CrossClimates.

That was 4 years ago and I've just changed the fronts now, so well pleased with the performance. I've today just had 2 x Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3, but had these put on the rear axle and the Crossclimates from the rear to the front. I'm trying to see how these two all season 3 mountain peak tyres compare, but as the Goodyears claim a higher tread life, I'm going to see how well these do and replace the other Crossclimates now on the front in about 8 months or so.

I've also heard similar nightmares on the Turanza from some French owners about these tyres.

Marc
super8
Donor 2024
Citroen DS5 2.0 HDI
Mini Cooper 1.6
Ford Kuga 1.5d
Citroen C4 picasso 1.8
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

Post by super8 »

They are really decent, with good handling, etc. However, what is suspicious is why they wear out so quickly. I have an old set of Pirellis that also wore out quickly. The fronts, are 2 years old, still have 4mm. I always do alignments twice a year. I will pop up to the garage and see what they say.
Or maybe it's as you said above,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also do be aware that some tracking / alignment equipment can cause problems!

This also happened to me using ATS years ago with their all singing all dancing 'laser' tracking system. First of all the monkeys didn't know how to track a Hydractive vehicle properly (so the Citroen technician came over to show them). But that wasn't the end of the matter. I had the alignment done after having 2 new tyres fitted at the front.

2 months later I noticed that the front wasn't quite right with handling and when I checked the front tyres after somebody told me they were in a bad way, they were near to shredding!
Needless to say I was not happy, got on the phone to ATS and told them. Went back there, and their tracking machine was covered up and out of order. They had issues from other customers too it seemed as they seemed to know this had been the cause. I had my tyres replaced FOC. The machine was out of order for some months whilst they awaited calibration from the company. What annoyed me was that they should of contacted customers that had tracking undertaken in the same time period and advised them to get it re-tracked elsewhere at their expense IMO.

So needless to say I never went there again. It's not the first time I've heard of these things causing more problems than they solve if they are not regularly checked. I got a refund for the tracking and went elsewhere to get it done again once they replaced the tyres.

Marc