BX front struts- yet another cure...

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

Did it on the xant in the way described and no Lhm seemed to be drawn in to the pipe ? (marked jar) would injecting it in to the end of the tube with a syringe type thing be better?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If I'm reading this correctly, the pipes are removed, the suspension lowered, the pipes are then placed in a jar of LHM and then the suspension is put in the heighest setting.
The principle being that the piston will work like a big suction pump.
Then you reset at the lowest setting and refir the vent pipes.
Is that the story??
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's it Alan. You'll only need 100 mL of fluid. If everything is clean, the excess is forced back to the reservoir via filters so you can replace the vent pipe as soon as the car is fully raised.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Will try it on my BX this weekend, as I need to verify my "procedure" is up to facts.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Did it today. The Xantia has only one vent hose and its at the back of the strut. The 2 vent hoses are for BX. I put half liter of LHM in a clean dry clear water bottle to almost full which isn't necessary. The Xantia strut takes in very little LHM, if any. LHM drips out from the vent hose when it is opened. The old way of lubricating the strut by taking out the cover is easier and less messy. Hopefully it does lubricant the insides of the strut with this new method. Thanks for the tip.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Sounds like one thing is missing from the description, Tom - the old Haynes line "with the help of an assistant". Will be interesting to try this when I replace the broken vent pipe I found this week, once I find the spare pipe assembly that's somewhere in the back of the TZi.
I realised on looking at the strut on full height that while I've tried the greasing before now, I've completely failed to grasp the principle, and greased up the outer part of the strut that wasn't moving. Dohhh!!!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Did it on my own, David. Both pipes jam into an aspirin bottle, Fill that and it all just hangs there as you raise the suspension...