Is this CV boot knackered?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mexico14
Donor 2023
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 bluehdi

Is this CV boot knackered?

Post by Mexico14 »

It has grease on the outside - I'm thinking it shouldn't? Would this be covered under a citroen extended warranty?
IMG_20220512_103005.jpg
IMG_20220512_103005.jpg
IMG_20220512_103043.jpg
IMG_20220512_103103.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Is this CV boot knackered?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So this is an extract from the warranty booklet - although the drive shafts are not mentioned (nor the boots) you would have to call them to see if the the CV boots are covered. You should have a warranty contact number in your booklet that you can call to clarify whether they are or not.

EXCLUDED ITEMS
• Batteries (Please note Electric Vehicle Batteries are covered under the manufacturer warranty up to 8 years old or 100,000 miles).
• Ancillary drive belts
• Brake and clutch frictional material
• Bulbs and fuses
• LED lamps are covered providing at least 50% of the lighting has failed
• Exhaust systems and diesel particulate filters (catalytic converters are covered against internal failure only and not accidental damage, corrosion or damage resulting from the use of incorrect fuel).
• Wheels and tyres
• Wheel alignment or any adjustments unless required as part of a component failure covered by the warranty.
• Wiper blades
• Water ingress including damage to covered components caused by water
• All serviceable items
• Recharging of the air conditioning unit (unless required as part of a valid repair)
• Electrical software update or reprogramming unless required due to the failure of a covered part.

Trim and bodywork including:
(a) Interior and exterior trim (including door hinges and check straps)
(b) Glass (heater elements are covered)
(c) Seat covers and cushions
(d) Weather strips and body seals
(e) Paintwork

WHAT YOUR CITROËN EXTENDED & RENEWAL WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
• Excessive or unreasonable diagnostic time or any diagnostic time which doesn’t result in a valid claim (Reasonable diagnostic costs for valid claims will be covered).
• The gradual reduction in operating performance (wear and tear consistent with the age and mileage of the covered vehicle).
• All adjustments and alignments.
• Any loss, damage or failure which occurs while the vehicle is outside the geographical territories detailed in this handbook.
• Mechanical failure caused by faults which, in the opinion of a qualified engineer appointed by Citroën Warranty Administration, existed before the warranty commenced.
• Vehicles where the speedometer/odometer is altered, disconnected or interfered with in any way, unless it is faulty.
• Faulty speedometers/odometers may be repaired or replaced, but only with our prior authorisation.
• Service/maintenance operations.
• Component failure resulting from accident damage, misuse or neglect.
• Items which do not form part of the manufacturer’s original specification for the vehicle.
• Faults resulting from the use of fuel which is either contaminated or inappropriate for the vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
TZDunnit
My Cars: 1990 BX TZD Turbo
1974 D Super 5
2015 Peugeot Boxer Van

Post by TZDunnit »

If its showing signs of loosing grease then yes it's knackered and an mot failure.
I expect it would be classed as wear and tear unless your warranty states otherwise.
90 Bx TZD Turbo ven red 294k
74 D Super 5 Black.??? K
65 Boxer van workhorse 438k
Volvo v50 d
Nissan Juke
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I see no visible splits and no sign of grease leaking (it flies out and covers everything in its path) That CV boot will pass an MOT and is serviceable.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.