2020 Berlingo Van Rear Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

2020 Berlingo Van Rear Brakes

Post by Doo »

Mate owns a new Lingo van and it was making a noise. He came to me after going to a local fast fit for tyres & asking them to check the brakes.

Nah mate, brakes are mint! :shock:

When I stripped it, the disc was very obviously scored to death and the pad was so bad, the metal was 2mm less than the equivalent other :!: :?:

I forbade him to drive it, gave him and his young son a lift home & collected new discs & pads next morning.

Now I wasn't sure what to do about the motorised parking brake, but as it happens, I'm a fan of PARKSIDE tools and have a fair collection. Some have 12v batteries, the bigger stuff has 20V 2amp & 4 amp batteries..... Can you see where this is going?

I parked, selected reverse and deactivated parking brake by opening the door before switching off and holding the button at "release" which caused a lot of squawking from the dash :lol:

I made a short loom, connected to a 12v battery, unplugged the motor and looked at the pins. One was marked with the number 1 so I assumed (correctly as it happens) this was the + and plugged in. The resulting whirr told me the motor was rewinding and I waited untill it stopped and spun. I built up the assembly with the re-lubed pins & sliding parts, plugged the motor in and repeated on the other side.

I got in the van, pressed the pedal a few times, turned on the ignition, started the engine and engaged the parking brake. All squawking done and brake working beautifully.

Saved him a fortune. So if anyone worried about doing their electric parking brake, dont! Worry that is. Just make sure the key is out and the brake is off before commencing the operation to replace the rear brake pads & discs. Apart from the motor, they are otherwise as easy as they ever were 8-)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 2020 Berlingo Van Rear Brakes

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Doo wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 15:53 Saved him a fortune. So if anyone worried about doing their electric parking brake, dont! Worry that is. Just make sure the key is out and the brake is off before commencing the operation to replace the rear brake pads & discs. Apart from the motor, they are otherwise as easy as they ever were 8-)
Or send them to you to do the work!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Re: 2020 Berlingo Van Rear Brakes

Post by Doo »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 17:10
Doo wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 15:53 Saved him a fortune. So if anyone worried about doing their electric parking brake, dont! Worry that is. Just make sure the key is out and the brake is off before commencing the operation to replace the rear brake pads & discs. Apart from the motor, they are otherwise as easy as they ever were 8-)
Or send them to you to do the work!
Ha ha, no bother :-D But only if you're planning the NC500 and stop in Inverness 8-)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?