Cv boot change on 2009 c5 with hydropneumatic suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robertgriffiths575
My Cars: Citroen c5 exclusive hdi auto

Cv boot change on 2009 c5 with hydropneumatic suspension

Post by Robertgriffiths575 »

Just looking for some tips or advice on the replacement of a cv boot on my c5 auto with hydropneumatic suspension. My grandfather is helping me and we have done the job on many cars just being cautious in advance on this one. My grandfather said he hasn't seen anything like this one before what with the hydropneumatic suspension thrown in the mix. There appears to be more than just bottom ball joint and possibly track rod end to pull the hub forward off the shaft.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: Cv boot change on 2009 c5 with hydropneumatic suspension

Post by Sloppysod »

Basically the syspension is not really that different from normal cars, its just the 'spring' that's different.
However, make sure the car is well supported before you start and ideally have the side your working on high to minimise gerabox oil loss as refilling the gearbox is another job on its own!.Also have you looked at the split boots, the ones you glue toegther, rather than try to split the hub & CV joint.

Does it need replacing or has it just popped off the outer joint? They do tend to do this and the best fix I have found is to use the steel bands as the groves in the outer joint casing are not that deep.
Good luck
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Cv boot change on 2009 c5 with hydropneumatic suspension

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If he has the AM6 gearbox he doesn't have to worry about losing the oil, the shafts can be removed without any oil loss.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.