2012 Peugeot 508 GT 2.2 HDI, BSM fault

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Skinned Knuckles
New User
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 508 GT (200bhp) Auto

01 BM 525d
99 BM 740i
97 BM 528i

2012 Peugeot 508 GT 2.2 HDI, BSM fault

Post by Skinned Knuckles »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and the French car.
I have a lot to learn with these cars, so I hope you guys can help me out.

About the car...
I bought my 2012 508 GT 2.2 Auto a few days ago. I believe the BSM is bad. As soon as you wake the car up, it has a loud fast clicking noise coming from the BSM module.
This is where it gets interesting. When the engines not running, I'm now getting a message saying "economy mode" on the nav display. Also my headlights are not working, the LED drl and rear lights work just fine. It's just my dipped beam and high beam/flashers as these both run on the Bi-Xenon system. The Xenons do flicker between both sides on a fist attempt to turn them on, after that, nothing! Both headlight and flasher do show up on the gauge cluster when engaged....

So it sounds like I may have a bad BSM. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who does repairs.
I do have other issues, not related to the BSM, I'll leave that for another post.

Cheers guys.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2012 Peugeot 508 GT 2.2 HDI, BSM fault

Post by Peter.N. »

The 'Economy Mode' syndrome seems to be common with a lot of cars, both my C5's do it, I have never been able to listen to the radio stationary for more than a few minutes or not at all if the engine hasn't been running. Its to do with battery voltage, I suspect something is out of tolerance. I fitted a new battery to one car, it made a small difference but it has now reverted to its former ways.

Can't help you with your other problems I'm afraid.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

From experience this clicking sound and and flickering of the xenons can be down to a bad car battery.

I had a similar issue with a MK II C5 with xenons - car started and drove perfectly as my daily driver, then one day leaving work, I got in and on starting the ignition it went haywire, clicking and the xenons flickering and other madness.

Turns out the battery was knackered, despite showing no previous signs of failure.

Popped a new one in and end of problems. So just because it may start perfectly one minute, it doesn't mean the battery is in good health. If it's anything 5 years old or over then it probably needs a replacement on these cars. Some batteries can work fine right up until the last breath and then they are toast. recharging may work for a while, but as they age the capacity reduces and so it won't hold a charge for very long and after a few starts, it's enough to drain it again. Of course there is more demand in colder months and this is usually the time when we see lots of issues that are tell tale signs the battery is dying.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nocturnal
My Cars: 2012 Citroen C5 VTR+ NAV 120kW 163bhp Diesel

Post by nocturnal »

Peter.N. wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 10:37 The 'Economy Mode' syndrome seems to be common with a lot of cars, both my C5's do it, I have never been able to listen to the radio stationary for more than a few minutes or not at all if the engine hasn't been running. Its to do with battery voltage, I suspect something is out of tolerance. I fitted a new battery to one car, it made a small difference but it has now reverted to its former ways.

Can't help you with your other problems I'm afraid.

Peter
Yes I fitted a new battery to my C5 2.0 HDi 163bhp last week and economy mode was back within days. I actually don't even think there was anything wrong with the existing battery.

Also since changing batteries the radio and sat nav often switches on and off up to 4 times before staying on after starting the engine.

I'm assuming the cars did not act like this when they were new.