DS5 H4 Hybrid - Loud thud from rear when regenerative braking

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BnD1212
My Cars: Citroen DS5 H4 Hybrid

DS5 H4 Hybrid - Loud thud from rear when regenerative braking

Post by BnD1212 »

I have a 2012 DS5 h4 Hybrid 2.0L TDI. We have had the car a couple of months and it starts and drives well, but over the last few weeks it has developed what can only be described as a 'Loud Thud' coming from the rear when you let of the throttle and the car goes into 'regenerative mode'. It also feels sometimes that the car is being pushed on by the battery charge side when you apply the brake. It does not happen every time, but when it does it sounds quite severe. I am looking for some advise on just what it may be.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: DS5 H4 Hybrid - Loud thud from rear when regenerative braking

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. I cannot offer you any advice, other than to wait until somebody who has DS5 knowledge chips in.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Hi and Welcome. The Hyrbrid4 system has a different feel under Regen depending on the level of charge in the Traction Battery and the feel is just like there is no brake effect when you lift off - ie, it feels like it is sailing on when you expect retardation. Check the charge level and if it is high to full you might not get Regen Braking. Disconcerting at first but perfectly normal, you just need to plan braking normally. Regen is not there all the time so you will have to adjust and learn this trait.
The thud is not normal and could be a driveshaft or damaged suspension. I strongly urge you to get it checked as soon as possible.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Are you using Auto setting or Sport setting?
BnD1212
My Cars: Citroen DS5 H4 Hybrid

Post by BnD1212 »

Hi Dormouse,
Thanks for your input. As far as the Regen side goes, i believe that is working as it should. I am definitely feeling the 'Braking / Regen' affect when lifting off. My main concern is the 'thud' coming from what sounds to be the rear axle area. The strange thing is it doesn't occur every time.
The car is driven mostly in the Auto setting
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Hi again. The car is much smoother, refined and quieter in Auto but can be "clunky" in Sport/ Manual. In Auto, Regen and battery usage balance out and you rarely get a full Traction battery. It does happen sometimes and you get caught out at roundabouts or junctions with the sailing on effect. In Sport or 4x4 you are more likely to fully charge the Traction battery quicker as that is how it is set up and more often so the lack of Regen braking occurs more frequently.
The rear suspension and motor cradle are well made and give a good ride with noise/vibration suppression, so any thuds from the rear are very out of character and need examined.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

A loose exhaust can give a solid thud occasionally. Worth a check.