207 1.6 gt can anyone help please

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bazamancity
My Cars: peugeot 306 gti-6
peugeot 207 gt

207 1.6 gt can anyone help please

Post by bazamancity »

hi i have a peugoet 207 gt 1.6 hdi. 2008
it has a severe starting problem.
it will refuse to start from cold and it will start from warm "when it feels like it"
it will start straight away with easy start.
when it does not start its like its just cranking over not even trying to start like its out of fuel. then say on the third try of cranking i will get a splutter of it trying to start then the forth turn it will start. but it will not from cold.
when started the car runs perfect ideling performance mpg all very good. but as soon as i turn it off then try to start again it will just crank. on the rare ocacation it will start even when not pressing the accelarator when hot.
its done 89000 miles. i have tested if it beeps when leaving the key in and it does. battery is good.
im was told it was the glow plugs but doing some reading i have seen that this engine does not use them until minus temps. i cannot understand how a car can run so well then does not start?? its driving me mad.
any help very much appriciated thankyou
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Re: 207 1.6 gt can anyone help please

Post by quintet »

Does your engine have a primer button/bulb? as i recall some have them some don't, if it has got one does it make any difference when priming the engine before attempting to start it? the fault kinda sounds like the engine might be pulling in air, or at least getting air mixed in with the fuel. Although they are generally reliable i have known fuel filters to give issues, even genuine ones but that doesn't mean theres anything wrong with yours and be aware if you do change it can be a pig to get the car restarted so bear it in mind if you do change it you may introduce an additional starting problem!! Whenever used to change these filters i always filled the filter housing with diesel before fitting it onto the vehicle and prime it where possible, a good car will start on the fuel in the pipes/injectors but it'll quickly run out of fuel if the filter isn't sufficiently filled & the revs aren't kept at a suitable rpm.

If your not sure about changing the filter to see if it'll work wait to see if anyone else posts any ideas on here, my knowledge is not what it used to be.
Music keeps me going.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You really need to get this on live data & see what the fuel pressure is doing on cranking.
And as already asked does it have a hand primer?
bazamancity
My Cars: peugeot 306 gti-6
peugeot 207 gt

Post by bazamancity »

sorry for the late reply. yes has a hand primer. i have searched all over the fuel lines for a air leak. when i use the hand primer i can hear fuel whoosing arond but it also sounds like its expelling air when i pump. i have changed the fuel filter air filter. took out fuel sensor and fuel regulator checked operation the needle was moving fine. checked camshaft sensor and cranksensor and wiring. there is also a ringing coming from the cambelt/fuel pump area. there is also some juddering and engine shaking is the best i can describe it when cranking. theres also can be like a bang from the engine which is leaving me to believe faulty injectors. i have pressed the bulb more than i care to remember but it will go semi hard lol but after a few minutes go back soft. ha sorry. any more ideas or help very nuch appriciated. also it will not start at all on its own now now hot or cold. but runs absolutly perfect never cuts out perfect ideling and the power and boost are great. 50+ mpg no smoke which makes me scrach my head even more