Berlingo Multispace 1.6 E-hdi Jobs Done

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Berlingo Multispace 1.6 E-hdi Jobs Done

Post by Doo »

Wife didn't want to drive the Lingo because it is big & boxy, wanted parking sensors. So I set about installing them front & rear.

Wheel arch liners off, bumpers off, etc.. No holes to drill at back as convenient holes already there with rubber bungs.

Front was a different story though. Double skinned bulkhead with a gap of around 20+cm. So I drilled from the inside, then measured roughly where I should drill from under the bonnet. How do I get 4 wires from the front sensors through both holes? I got a length of plastic plumbing pipe (15mm dia) cut it so it was a bit longer, melted one end to widen it so it wouldn't fall into the hole, then split it down it's entire length and put the wires inside. I wrapped tape around the plugs to make them fit and poked the lot through. Feeding them to the rear was fun as they weren't long enough to go where I wanted them. However, there is a small door on the roof lining (I assume for some kind of dog guard or bulkhead) which the sensor ecu fitted so in it went. All working.

Tow bar next, well the wiring kit. Same Idea, fed it up behind the bumper into the car via the rubber bung. Wired both sockets (I'm old school, but I have an adaptor for 13 pin) through relays and wired it all to the car. I had to feed another two wires through the bulkhead. One for a + feed to the relays and another heavier + feed to the leisure battery in the back that feeds my inverter. All wired through appropriate fuses and relays.

Then oil & filters. Whoever thought an under tray held on with bolts and super useless captive nuts needs their nuts captive :evil: Still, judicious use of my mini grinder sorted that out. It's currently off as I had another job to do...

Yesterday was the timing belt and water pump kit. More useless captive nuts were ground to atoms so I could get all the plastics out. Job done, spun the engine round with the torque wrench and a few extensions. All good, timing marks still spot on so turned the key and.... She fired right up 8-)

New discs and pads next week then get control of the rust before it kills everything. And thinking of ways to fix the spare wheel carrier :roll:

All in a days work #-o
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.6 E-hdi Jobs Done

Post by RichardW »

Good jobs done there!
Doo wrote: 16 May 2021, 15:29 Then oil & filters. Whoever thought an under tray held on with bolts and super useless captive nuts needs their nuts captive :evil: Still, judicious use of my mini grinder sorted that out. It's currently off as I had another job to do...
Indeed, totally daft! I've just had the tray off our C4 Picasso, which is only 3.5 years old and one of the ELEVEN bolts that was holding the tray on pulled the clip out. I was able to recover it and get it working, all bolts now copperslipped!! I did the oil on my Sister's C4 when it was about 8 years old - couldn't shift the front 3 bolts at all, ended up sawing the tray in half, then screwing it back together with some aluminium plates :roll:
Richard W
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Re: Berlingo Multispace 1.6 E-hdi Jobs Done

Post by Doo »

I found an issue with my aftermarket relays... Or so I thought!

The digital lights worked fine (LED's) but when I plugged into the caravan, nothing lit up!

Hmm... Turned out the spare battery in the boot (for the inverter) wasn't charging either?!

Checked the fuse, appeared to have blown! So when I went to change it, I noticed I had left the switch on for the changeover relay (to charge the battery in the boot) as it was lit...

Wait a mo! I messed with it and noted some grot. Bah! It was just a dirty connection. Undid the nuts, removed the fuse & cleaned all metal parts with sand paper then did the same to the connection point on the battery + where there are several large fuses. Back over to the caravan and plugged in. Switched on the lights and away the went :-) Indicators beeping merrily.

Happy days.

Seems this is a bit of a lottery with under bonnet fuses where they are protected (??) by a loose cover over the battery + terminal.

So if your Citroen Berlingo plays up, check the fuses for grotty connections first.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?