Steering column - please can someone check?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danlat1415
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 1.6 HDi (semi auto Deisel)

Steering column - please can someone check?

Post by danlat1415 »

I'm currently diagnosing a click/knock noise from my suspension.

I have a Citroen C4 Picasso (2014), but this may be applicable to all, or similar models.

Whilst testing various things, I checked my steering wheel column which is all secure in place with the retaining screws, nothing is loose;
However, when I grab the steering column at the bottom end where it goes through the floor behind the pedals - there is very slight movement (about 1mm) in the lower end of the column itself that goes through the rubber floor section, like the movement is on the underside.
Because steering moves and the floor section is rubber, I don't know if this very slight movement is normal or not.

Please could someone do me a massive favour?
Anyone with a C4 Picasso (B78) or Grand Picasso, grab the steering column lower section just above the rubber floor section and try hard to give it a shake and see if there is any movement/dull knock from underneath.

I'd then be able to see if this is normal movement, or if the steering rack is worn.

I have tested it in a different car (Nissan Juke), but it's completely different floorplan and steering column and the other car's column was rock solid.
So I wanted to check with someone with the same car to see if it's just mine and a symptom of an issue, or if it's completely normal for the vehicle.

Thank you to anyone who tries it for me.