Suspension rattle / click

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danlat1415
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 1.6 HDi (semi auto Deisel)

Suspension rattle / click

Post by danlat1415 »

Hi,
I've got a Citroen C4 Picasso (2014) and my front suspension has a very slight rattle/knocking when going over bumps and turning.

When I am stationary, I can turn the steering full lock left and full lock right and I can feel a very slight knock in the steering wheel.

I have recorded in the wheel area to check for any play/movement in parts.
I can't see anything, but there is a 'click' kind of noise.
I don't know if that's a normal noise and unrelated to the knock.

See videos;

There are 'wet' marks on some of the parts, but that's because I used WD40 to help get the drop links off and it dropped on some other parts.

I've already taken it to a garage who had a quick drive and check over it and said they couldn't see anything - but I can definitely feel and hear it, so I'm not convinced they checked much.

The car has done approx 65,000 and has recently had the drop links changed which didn't fix the issue, although both sides did need changing.

I plan on getting the struts, springs and top mounts changed soon anyway and I've got most of the parts - just waiting on the struts on back order.

Can anyone tell what the problem maybe from your experience?

Like I say, the car has done 65,000 miles and the only things replaced since new are the tyres and drop links. All other parts are stock - so it could be any of the bushings or parts.
Moog
Donor 2023
My Cars: Own a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v 2001

Re: Suspension rattle / click

Post by Moog »

Hi,

Not sure I'll help much but on my Xsara Picasso I had the same clunks at front a few years ago.

Replaced the drop-links and knackered track-rod ends and it was still there.

Took my car to a friendly MOT man in his lunchtime who levered everything with giant crowbars - something he said they're not allowed to do on the MOT. He couldn't find anything loose.

In the end, out of desperation, I changed the wishbones. That solved it, so must have been a tiny amount of play somewhere that just transmitted noise throughout but wasn't noticeable.

I've had the clonky steering noise too - again it passed the MOT with no advisories at a decent garage and the MOT guy said nothing was loose that he could find.

I've bought new ARB bushes and brackets in a kit and will change those at the weekend to see if that helps. The drop links have started clunking again after 25k miles so I've bought a better brand to fit at the same time.

I have heard that these Citroens like mine can be a bit clonky anyway. Don't know if that's true but at least I've covered all the safety things and know it's ok even if I never solve the clonk.

Good luck - I know how annoying it can be!
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Thanks for replying.
I'm hoping it's the suspension strut mounts which I'm due to change in the next month. I've already replaced the drop links, which were both bad. I could twist the link by hand with the car jacked up.

I have all the parts for full new strut/spring change, but the struts are on back order and not due until start of June.
I've also got tie rod ends which I'll replace at the same time and get a wheel alignment done.

I'll be able to check the inner tie rods for any play when I change the outer ones.

I'm hoping this will resolve it, but it's a starting point if not.

Next would be inner track rods or control arms.

Nothing is more annoying than a mysterious knock or noise on the car that you can't identify until you take parts off to test them.
As everything is stock on my car, replacing things isn't really a waste because they'd need replacing anyway.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do make sure you get the parts from a reputable supplier, and you use parts with a good name.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Yes definitely.
All my strut/spring parts are from Citroen direct apart from the struts which are Bilstein and on back order. Never had an issue with Bilstein and Citroen price was crazy.

My tie rod ends are Moog, from Euro Car Parts.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Euro Car Parts are not considered here to be a reputable supplier (they have the earned nickname of Euro Crap Parts).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

I agree, they are same where I am.
I always check the make first

Citroen wanted £98 each for the tie rod ends.
Moog are a reasonable make and were £22 each.
k_hickey
My Cars: Citroen c4 grand picasso 66Reg

Mysterious rattle

Post by k_hickey »

OK so I've had a mysterious rattle on my car for over a month now and no one know what it is. 4 mechanics have looked at it. Had the roll bar links changed didn't change anything. It's a citroen c4 grand picasso 2016 and wondering if anyone has had anything similar. It doesn't rattle all the time but seems to be worse when my foots off the accelerator and Cruising while going over small bumps in the road. Seem like it's coming from the front off side and it's a metal hitting metal sound. Been inspected underneath nothing loose but it's driving me mental now.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's a subframe extension piece that runs from the front subframe to the front cross member - the rear end has a flexible mounting that can wear over time.

Previous discussion:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... p?p=696611

viewtopic.php?p=618036
Richard W
k_hickey
My Cars: Citroen c4 grand picasso 66Reg

Post by k_hickey »

Thanks. Il have a look out is it something easy to find underneath? Are their 2 of these?
seefourpio
My Cars: 2015 C4 Grand Picasso (Exclusive) 1.6 BlueHDi

Post by seefourpio »

Hi,

Earlier this year I purchased a 65 plate Grand Picasso (20k miles) and it seems to have the same knocking problem with the steering as the original poster.

I took the car to several garages who couldn’t find the problem, but after searching forums I got a mechanic to check the extended (front) subframe mounts. One of these was loose and knocking and so they were both replaced. This improved the problem but did not fix it completely. So, the rear sub-frame mounts/bushes were also replaced and this appeared to remedy it.

Unfortunately, a couple months later and the knocking problem is returning again!!!
Could the subframe be knocking into something – or could something on the sub-frame be causing it?

I’ve noticed that when steering slightly, the subframe seems to rise up near the rear mounts – is this normal? Like with the original poster, the knocking occurs when steering slightly.

DMT15
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso MKII 1.6 E-HDi 2014
Citroen C4 Picasso MKI 1.6 HDI 2008
Citroen C4 Picasso MKI 1.6 HDI 2007
Peugeot Partner 1.9D 2008

Post by DMT15 »

Hi danlat1415,

I'm having the exact same issue with my Citroen C4 Picasso 2014, I experience a slight knock/vibration in the steering wheel when going over bumps and also when turning. All parts on the car are original and haven't been replaced, the car has 65,000 miles. I've checked the control arm bushes, inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, subframe bushes, steering links, and steering column for play. Everything is fine. The anti roll bar bushes don't seem in great condition visually but I've checked it out for play after disconnecting the links and there is none.

I know that you replaced your links, and were going to replace the struts, springs, and strut top mounts on your car. Has this fixed the problem or was it something else? I highly appreciate your help as it will save me a lot of time and trouble with diagnosing this annoying issue.

Happy New Year!
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Thanks for your message.
I ended up replacing the whole strut assembly on both sides and the control arms too, as the bushes were worn. When disconnecting the struct, the wheel hub could be jiggles from front to rear of car, and you could see the control arm bushes with excessive play, so at £45 each I just replaced them both.

I replaced the full strut assembly as it was easier for me to build a new set off the car, then it was a quick job of straight off and replace.
All of that fully resolved my knocking issues.
I know for definite that the top strut mounts were worn and needed replacing at least.

If replacing the struts/mounts there access from underneath the windscreen and you need to take out the windscreen motor on each side.
A tip for fitting them back in, make sure they go back in their locating clicks correctly.
I made the mistake of putting one side back and it was slightly out of the clip, so the windscreen wiper motor was not flush with the windscreen and the first time the wipers came of it smashed the windscreen, with the wiper arm gouging into the windscreen...
PaulC5
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2007 C5 2.2 hdi estate
2019 Peugeot 308 SW 1.5 hdi
2016 Cactus 1.6 hdi
Previous ones 2004 C5 2.2 hdi, 2008/2011/2015 C4s all 1.6 hdi, 2003 C3 1.4 petrol, 2010 C3 1.4 vti petrol, 2005 Xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi

Post by PaulC5 »

I do not know if the Picasso uses the same front struts as the C4 but I had to replace them on our 2015 C4 when about 4 years old and about 25k miles. It was knocking at the front left and due to wear in the strut the chrome shaft could move sideways a bit. It was the Citroen parts dept who said there had been a bad batch of struts so it was a common problem. I could not detect the movement until the strut was off the car and there was a lot of play making the metallic knock as I moved the shaft sideways. I replaced both sides so the struts were the same since I was told they had been improved.