comple loss of LHM grrrrr

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia 521
My Cars: Citroen Xantia Forte 90bhp
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

comple loss of LHM grrrrr

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hi lads hope all are still staying safe.
My first cry for help better known as first topic.

1, The car: Citroen Xanta Hdi 1.9, forte diesel 90Bhp....2001 Y reg...in red.
2, All the cars on my side of the street are parked with Two wheels on the pavement.
3, Veiwed from the front of the my Xantia the two wheels on the pavement.....are of the nearside of the Xantia.....I.E veiwed from the front the right side of Xantia is
higher.......than offside.
4. The difference in high is six inches apx.

5 I noticed a marked/noticable amount of fluid that soaked into the road........now the odd bit, the location was at the nearside front wheel SO the wheel on
the pavement.
6, for the aviodance of doubt any fluid now known as LHM did not go from nearside to the offside.
7, I started the Xantia the big stop light came......and steerng could not work as normal....far from it!
I did not try the brakes!
8, I removed the LHM reservoir tank........no LHM in it!.....apart from the middle part of the reservoir tank, where the fillters go into it.

9, I took off the near side front wheel I noticed a fair amount of LHM....enough for me to use up a couple of rags.
10, I saw a very rusted pipe at least on pipe although there may be two.
11, the postion of the pipe/s is at the twelve o'clock postion and is sercurced to the body of the Xantia....I.E dead center of wheel arch.

Question is what should I do now....in order of common sence???

Me being normal please help I really do adore Xantia's haveing had two over a period of twenty years....I need the Communities help.

I am for covid-19 definded as ' A clinically extremely vulnerable person'.....COPD
as such I cant even enjoy driving my Xantia its a very dark period.

We have no real Garages that are relaxed working on Xantia here at Melton Mowbray east midlands.
Thank you in advace, please keep staying safe.
Cheer Steve
Dear Board

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: comple loss of LHM grrrrr

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you could post up a picture or two of the offending pipes it would certainly help those who are knowledgeable about Xantias. To post up a picture click on "Full Editor & Preview", then click on the "Attachments" tab, then click on the "Add files" button and add each of the photos you want to show.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hiya
thanks for replying so quickly.....I will try that(thats gonna be fun) I really should get on top of uploading photo's but a big thank you for steps to do so.
Out of intrest I went outside (its raining and dark) anyway, just to try some thing I gingerly tryied the brakes.....there is still the feel that they are working, you know
the resistance when applying pressure to the pedal.
But no PAS steering....maybe that narrows down reasons of LHM loss??
Steve
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

We need some photos, Steve.
Sounds like a high-pressure pipe or joint may have opened up, although could be something else.
The system is designed to put safety first in the event of hydraulic pressure loss, and keep the brake circuit working as long as possible.
Chris
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

I am very sorry for delay in checking in.

I have been having trouble on the photo front.

I have been busy on the challange ahead. on Saturday May 8.

The two piipes are close together,( one in front of the other) both pipes are postioned behind the near side wheel (about a 30% down from the wheel arch) behind a
removeable bracket that holds in place flexible rubber hoses/pipes one is the handbrake.
The very rusted pipe(now know as X) when looked at head on.With the wheel off.

The pipe (X) goes left too(now known as Y) TO the Hydraulic Pump, steering system......this is black in colour+belted pulley

The pipe (x) when look ahead on, goes too the right, deep into the heart of the engine. I followed it to around the steering area(behind a heat shield,thin tin like in nature).now known as (Z)
So in short the pipe(x) starts at Hydraulic Pump(y). It makes it way to the steering area(Z) 'I saw it secured' there. at points from Y to Z all is tight and clean. the pipe along looks fine.

The challange is under the N/S/F wheel arch.easy to get to pipe(X)
(X) under the wheel arch for apx 25-50 mm is very corroded, there are damp pactches around plastic surround(I guess this is to stop water ect getting into the body of the vechile) I cant remeber the correct name!. also as stated above the vechile is parked on the pavement both near side wheels front and rear are higher than the offside wheels however all signs of leakage are under the front N/S/F wheel.

I am sorry if I have gone on for far to long, Chris bless you, as I think your on the right lines and for your reply.
Thank you (James) I think its 'Hell raiser' for your reply.

After searching for the route of X.......' 'I ache in the places where I used to play' leonard cohen line, from, Tower Of Song lyrics.

Look lads I need help on this.....I dont want a Xantia scrapping for a little rust and I dont think French Car Forum members and guest do neither.

Steve
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

In the absence of your pictures, do the pipes in this topic look familiar? viewtopic.php?t=66577
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Dear xantia-v6........god bless ya and a big heart felt Thank you!
You have sent the exact photos.........of the problem......call me soopy but I cant thank you enough.
for the avoidance of doubt...the photo showing the nearest pipe(X) to the securing bracket holding the rubber flexiable hoses.....its the nearest pipe
please excuse bad spelling
cheers friend.
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hi lads......well now the photos have been made available if you would follow the link Kindly sent by Xantia_V6 (Forum Admin Team) Top man.
The photo showning the location in the wheel arch, are very nearly the match, the (semi) corroded pipe on my Xantia is a little to the left But is the nearest one
(pipe).

So at the moment the Xantia is part parked on the sidewalk (n/s/f and rear, at a angle, No steering!, not tested in real time Brakes!, very little if any 'magic carpet'!.
outside the narrow road.

Me with Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD) , age related, access to plenty of tools, but access to challange is very limted.

Are these pipe, well one long one to be for sale anywhere? or be made?
What price if available would it be?
Any nearby(Leicestershire) garages or persons able to remove and re-fit better one?
Temp fix maybe?
I'm seeking good advice please.......we all want the same thing

Bless you all
please you all stay safe(Covid is not going away)

Kindest Regards
Steve
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

photo's
piccy
piccy
photo
photo
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hi Lads
rather hope the photographs will help.
If we could make progress on questions that would be Great news and helpful.....I understand forum members are pressed for time too.
Kindest regards
Steve
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Re: Help if you can?? futher advice

Post by Xantia 521 »

Post by Xantia 521 » 02 Jun 2021, 23:48
Hi lads, sorry for the delay.....Big Thank you and grateful for your help Steve & Chris.
Its looking like I will do a combination of both methoods.

I have cleaned all Corrosion reaching beyond a possible leak,its all looking to the naked eye very good, i.e nothing noticable.
This post/item is part of the post, headlined as 'grrrr lhm leak' take a peak of it if you find time....as to repeat the details would a duplication, however something is
bothering me.

So question is.....'by reversing on full lock up the six in curb', could this be causeing truma to the PAS??...as stated on the first post both n/s wheels are on the pavement.....the leaking is directly under the near side wheel......I just get the feeling parking this way may be part of the problem

If you ever feel fed up with answering the same questions....please be assured I for one are very grateful and does not go unoticed.
Stay safe be careful out there
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 06 Jun 2021, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with previous related topic
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Re: Help if you can?? futher advice

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is a pressure relief valve in the steering, so you cannot damage the hydraulic components with your parking technique. I think that it is unrelated.

The low pressure LHM return hoses on these cars are often perished, and can cause an intermittent leak.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Leaks from high-pressure (HP) lines are rare (usually the result of corroded or damaged pipes), and the HP joints almost never give trouble. An HP leak can result in fluid spraying out over a large area.

Low-pressure leaks (from plastic or metal return pipes) are usually just a weep/drip, as pressure is low, and most return lines - with the exception of the power steering - are only having to deal with small volumes of fluid.

For the 3.5mm polythene/nylon return lines, these usually make connection with steel ones or hydraulic components with thick rubber elbows/tee's/couplers. With age, as Mike says, these can split or fail. They're easily replaced, when the leak is identified.
Chris
Xantia 521
Citroen Xantia 2.0i SX

Post by Xantia 521 »

Hi all, big thanx to 'xantia_v6' and Chris.
The help is very much appreciated.
I am pushing my luck....is there any chance of photo, or maybe point me in the right area to look too focus on?

I really dont understand why the LHM was/is directly under the front near side wheel....both wheels on the pavement i.e 6 inches higher.
Look thanx lads.

Heres a couple of one lines....'I asked a mechanic for a book on how to fix automatic gearboxes…
But he only has manuals'.

I like the uniform mechanics wear…
Overall

Take care lads....stay safe
Cheers Steve
Dear Board

Groucho Marx
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Ok just a silly thought having read and re read this thread.
Is it possible that the n/s front strut return pipe is split, may have been leaking for a few days but by parking on the angle as described, both n/s wheels on the pavement 6" higher than the o/s that a split could self syphon the LHM out of the tank ?
As the LHM tank is on the n/s of the engine bay 6" height difference would tip the contents of the LHM tank towards the return pipes ?

Colin