Tyres for a 3008

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SlimJim
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 15 plate

Tyres for a 3008

Post by SlimJim »

Hi

Just curious to learn if anyone feels a brand that is best suited for a Peugeot 3008 15 plate. I’m sure it doesn’t really matter, but wonder if this has ever come up

Cheers
Aa
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Tyres for a 3008

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can’t speak for the 3008, but our new Aircross SUV has Bridgestone Turanza’s on and they will be coming off at first opportunity. They are the worst tyres I have ever had.

Citroen must of taken leave of their senses fitting these. The car has no grip whatsoever, slipping and sliding all over the gravel roads here.

I shall be fitting all season, like Michelin Cross Climate + or Goodyear All Season (their name eludes me for now).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

hi. I have both winter and summer tyres for our 3008. The 16" tyres are definitely more comfortable. I use Continental 17" ones for summer use and they are more direct/taut but are harsher over poor surfaces
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

our winter tyres are Cross Climate clones from Germany on the front and Kumho extreme wet weather on the rear as our car is a hybrid with AWD. The Kumhos have outlasted 2 sets of winter grips and still have a decent tread depth left and have worked well with the 85/15 split of power. The 17" Continentals are Eco Contacts and I don't rate them well.
SlimJim

Post by SlimJim »

Thanks all. I’m considering the Hankook tyres. I was going to go for all seasons but at a price of £50 more per tyre and the fact I only do 5000 miles a year, I didn’t think it was worth it . Am in right ?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have had Hankook tyres on a company van, and in the wet they are not great.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

SlimJim wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 00:08 Thanks all. I’m considering the Hankook tyres. I was going to go for all seasons but at a price of £50 more per tyre and the fact I only do 5000 miles a year, I didn’t think it was worth it . Am in right ?
Me too - wear very quickly from past experience.

All seasons are perfect if you don't want the hassle of changing from summer to winter tyres as they have summer certification too in most cases. It also depends where you live and what your road conditions are like in the winter. For ice and snow, you can't beat the cross climates. They are a superb tyre - extremely quiet, low noise (69 Db), excellent wet grip. But if you have South of France climate - then little point unless you want to go off road.

Marc
SlimJim

Post by SlimJim »

Hi

What’s the make of the tyre ? Just seem to be throwing money at this car now lol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Cross Climates are made by Michelin (£171.10 fitted at ASDA Tyres) There's £10 quid of 2-3 tyres fitted or £20 with 4 a code (Tyres10 or Tyres20) at present:

Or £155 home delivered.

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/michelin/cr ... ossclimate+

The Vector 4Season Tyres are made by Goodyear. ASDA are fitting these for £155 each (same offer as above.

These just came up while I was looking for your 235/45R18 98Y tyres. The larger tyres are going to be more expensive of course, having the 18" wheels.

Marc
4cvg
My Cars: 1958 Renault 4CV (modified)
1966 Renault R8 (modified)
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

I am new to the forum so I realise that something has probably already been fitted. Still, tyres are an evergreen topic. I have three general suggestions & then two shortlists in this size (on my criteria).

The first general suggestion is that it's more useful to speak of a tyre model, not a brand. Manufacturers' ranges of tyres vary widely on performance parameters depending on the manufacturer's priorities for the various models. For instance, not all Bridgestones, or even all Turanzas, are equal on various parameters.

The second general suggestion is that, of more use than anecdotal reports is a spread of magazine tests. Browsing the following site is the easiest way of accessing them.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/

Regardless of vehicle, I suggest that what are of most importance to prioritise are wet grip (laterally & under braking) & benign limit behaviour. One doesn't have to drive fast habitually in order to appreciate these qualities, especially if faced with an emergency swerve &/or brake.

235/45-18 is a size blessed with a very good shortlist of tyres that perform well in the wet. As summer tyres, I suggest:

Continental PremiumContact 6
Michelin PilotSport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

All are crisply responsive tyres (especially the PC6); less crisp & more comfort orientated are:

Bridgestone Turanza T005
Michelin Primacy 4

For "all season" tyres, I suggest two:

Michelin Cross Climate +
Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen. 2

(The former is closer to the summer tyre end of the "all seasons" spectrum. )

cheers! Peter
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I have replaced my Continentals with Michelin Primacy 3s. I hate them! I honestly thought I had a failing wheel bearing they are so noisy in comparison especially in EV mode where there is no engine noise. I can't wait to get my winter grips back on. I have started to look at replacements that are not Michelin or Continental.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One other factor is missing and that is type of roads you will use them on!

Not everyone has peanut butter-smooth tarmac roads. 80% of the rural roads where I am are stone chip, unevenly worn (heavy traffic / poor country road maintenance) with large drain dips and raised patches from temporary repairs. My tyre noise is therefore very noisy regardless of the ratings listed on the tyres. Whenever we rarely find a bit of road with tarmac - it is amazingly quiet.

So for someone like me, I need long tread life and grip in all conditions, so summer tyres are now out for me. I also won't touch Continental eco contact tyres - they wore through in under 4 months and Goodyear Eagle F1s looked nice, but wore very poorly too.

I have a list of tyre models that I won't ever use again and found that after getting totally fed up of 'premium' names with nothing premium about them except the price, that I went for years using budget to mid-budget tyres and these just always lasted longer but were a third of the price.

I've only gone back to Michelin CrossClimate / Plus on the Aircross now as I had them before on several vehicles and was really impressed - and need these with the traction system I have to get the most out of it.

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Have you considered these All Weather tyres?
Opera Snapshot_2021-08-16_095317_www.ebay.co.uk.png
We have used them and they worked well.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've no need of them at present, having just got rid of the 4 nearly new Turanza T005s after the cracking rubber issue, so the 4 CrossClimate + are all nice and new. I'll see how these go based on use at our location / mileage and see how they do. I've clocked the mileage and I'm hoping they will last at least a few years at least - but time will tell as the SUV dynamics are a bit different to the previous 3 C5s.

I forgot to mention we also had the CrossClimate originals on the C3 before she was recently sold and they were as new in the couple of years since we fitted them.

I think when it comes to replacing them, I'll see what's out there at the time and will certainly include the Goodyear Vectors along with the CrossClimate Plus and any others that have come onto the market, looking at reviews.

I'm not very keen on 'professional' reviews from the likes of YouTubers and places like Tyrereviews.com, but more interested in the owner reviews (and only those after some decent time of having them on the car). I don't believe you can objectively base a professional tyre review on a few minutes of driving in various scenarios whilst testing multiple tyre models in the same sessions.

They need testing in real world conditions and ownership. So I look at the mileage covered and the other stats from long-term owners on those reviews. Of course tyre sizes and vehicles can also make a huge difference, so I avoid looking at reviews from wheels 18" and over and stick to 17" wheels and where possible the reviews of the same tyre size / vehicle, which is not very easy!

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Do you find the inner tread wears out quicker on the fronts - if so set your front track to the maximum toe in allowed and this will help reduce this effect. It marginally affects the steering feel but it is a reasonable compromise to reduce tyre scuff wear I think.