Start stop on the Peugeot 3008 not working

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Start stop on the Peugeot 3008 not working

Post by RichardW »

What he said^^

Ours (2017 C4 Picasso) hasn't worked for a year or more - presumably it thinks the battery is not good enough. However, since it started the car (diesel) at -10 after it had stood for a week without even thinking about it, it seems just fine to me, so it's not getting replaced any time soon!!
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The S&S on our 308 last worked on June 6th 2019, This last hurrah was after a 300 mile trip from Folkestone to Wirral. Checking with Diagbox shows the battery capacity is below the minimum required and yet the battery has never failed to turn the engine over.

I bought a battery for my daughters car last week. It's the same spec as in the 308 and so I borrowed it for a few days. Sure enough, the day after fitting the S&S kicked in barely a mile from our house.

They are so fussy about batteries!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I had mine working after a battery warranty test on Monday - battery showed 98% after the charge, surface charge removal / overnight rest. Came out at 98% and worked. 5 days later, guess what - not working again, so I'm just not bothering with it. With Citroen having financial issues again I suspect the current penny pinching exercise to blame as they are no longer suppling my model with the Ultra-Capacitor or Reversible Alternator - just standard kit and an EFB battery!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There are many people who dislike the S&S on their car and ask if it can be disabled somehow. I think the best non-damaging advice that we could give is to find a battery that fails the test and fit it.

I'm happy to offer mine to anyone who wants a swap!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
tontonjon
My Cars: Deep Purple Mk2 Cactus manual and Emerald Blue Mk2 Cactus automatic
Used to own 1970 DSuper and 2003 C5

Post by tontonjon »

Both our 2019 Cacti have lost their stop/start recently. My garagiste says even a small drop in battery charge will do it, which often happens about two years in - and don't expect the battery to last 5 years!

I have switched mine off now. There's no point in having it as the car never stops for more than a few seconds in normal use, so the wear and tear is probably more expensive than the petrol used, and the pollution burst of the restart probably cancels out all that is saved whilst it is stopped. It's a nice idea, but probably more of a way to drive down official pollution figures so the car meets the latest standards than anything truly useful. Yes, I'm a bit of a sceptic (and a bit envious of those who bought the earlier Cactus 1.2 stop/start models who pay no raod tax as a result!).

Will try again when the weather warms up a bit - but I'm not hopeful!
SlimJim
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 15 plate

Post by SlimJim »

No I totally agree. I’m just concern the battery seems to be drained for some reason. It’s got an age battery that holds 760 and a reading of 470 is a little alarming because we use it everyday to do atleast 30 miles a day
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I find the start stop idea so completely unnecessary that I can't even be bothered to explain why!! :!: :!: :evil:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
SlimJim

Post by SlimJim »

Can anyone recommend a brand of alternator that would work on the Peugeot 3008 or do they all do the same thing ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You must have the correct type Jim depending on the model and tech fitted (reversible alternator or standard) and it needs to be the correct class to provide the right charging current and maintaining charge if the former type for the battery type fitted.

Marc
tontonjon

Post by tontonjon »

My Cactus stop-start is intermittant too. It sometimes works all the time, and sometimes not at all; sometimes straight after startup then stops working whilst driving, or not to begin with but does after a short run.

The system is fine if it cuts out for a couple of minutes at lights, but it's really no good for slow moving queues up to roundabouts or normal driving on the A303(!). I'm sure that it actually uses more fuel than just leaving the engine running. Instead of stop-start it would be better to have a hybrid system that used electric in slow traffic. Stop-start is the wrong answer to the problem.

I think that many would agree that, with limited usefulness, the wear and tear on the engine, the massive cost of the battery when it needs replacing and that since about three years ago there has been no reduction in road tax for cars with stop-start systems, they're a bit of a white elephant.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

As the old schooler that I am I see the system as an elaborate complex solution to a problem that wasn't really there!! As an aid to greenness the ratio of nasties produced when stationary to those produced when on the move must be so low as to make it have minimal effect on the overall performance. Another classic case of jobs for the boys engineering in my view!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It saves disabling it on mine - as it never worked for more than a day. Despite a dealer charging it up on their kit - it lasted 2 Stop Start cycles on the way home and then packed in again. If I'm stuck in traffic (very rare here) or at longer-timed roadworks, I'll just switch the engine off manually.

Marc
tontonjon

Post by tontonjon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:58 As the old schooler that I am I see the system as an elaborate complex solution to a problem that wasn't really there!! As an aid to greenness the ratio of nasties produced when stationary to those produced when on the move must be so low as to make it have minimal effect on the overall performance. Another classic case of jobs for the boys engineering in my view!!
The idea is to stop fumes when the car isn't moving; but it's the wrong answer to the problem, as it is only worth having if the engine is off for a reasonable amount of time. Electric motors on the wheels would be more useful.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

tontonjon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:48

"The system is fine if it cuts out for a couple of minutes at lights, but it's really no good for slow moving queues up to roundabouts or normal driving on the A303(!). I'm sure that it actually uses more fuel than just leaving the engine running. Instead of stop-start it would be better to have a hybrid system that used electric in slow traffic. Stop-start is the wrong answer to the problem."
one of the precise reasons we opted for our 3008 Hybrid4 although, as we discovered, it succumbed to low service battery faults until a new Exide Premium was installed. Low service battery voltage threw up a raft of red herrings in the fault code dept. The battery I took out was the original factory one but it has worked ok in our caravan after it was pulse repaired and recharged so, yes, these cars are fussy about available battery power.
Last edited by myglaren on 23 Aug 2021, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote tags
SlimJim

Post by SlimJim »

All, I discovered that the car required a new battery and a new alternator belt. The belt should be changed every 5 years.

Since then it's been performing really well (basically a new car)