SMEG+/CD Player/Diagbox help needed

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

xu9j4
My Cars: 132C2.000, 126 A1.076/E, XU9J4, X14XE, Z18XE, AWC, DV6C

SMEG+/CD Player/Diagbox help needed

Post by xu9j4 »

Dear Firends,

After the hardware challenge viewtopic.php?t=67940 it is time to face the problem no 2.
I connected PU-3915A CD player to SMEG+ in my 2014 C4 Picasso. The connection is faultless, my Diagbox does communicate with the CD. Unfortunately, trying to use "Installing of the external cd player" button is ineffective. The software cries for the authentication server.
My question is: is it possible to install it with the use of any "amateur" Diagbox version (mine is 7.83) or is it impossible at all out of the Citroen garage?

Thank you in advance for any ideas (unless you advise me using the jukebox or USB :lol: )

Greg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: SMEG+/CD Player/Diagbox help needed

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't know if this will help, but I managed to get my C5 (facelift) with a Telematics system to accept a CD multichanger. I think it was via the BSi option (after running a Global test), Customer Options, CD Changer (but I an NOT certain of this). This was using DiagBox v7.15.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

xu9j4 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 18:53 Dear Firends,

After the hardware challenge viewtopic.php?t=67940 it is time to face the problem no 2.
I connected PU-3915A CD player to SMEG+ in my 2014 C4 Picasso. The connection is faultless, my Diagbox does communicate with the CD. Unfortunately, trying to use "Installing of the external cd player" button is ineffective. The software cries for the authentication server.
My question is: is it possible to install it with the use of any "amateur" Diagbox version (mine is 7.83) or is it impossible at all out of the Citroen garage?

Thank you in advance for any ideas (unless you advise me using the jukebox or USB :lol: )

Greg
Greg - on later vehicles, certain functions are locked out and require a Dealer technician log in - which won't really work on a clone without very likely deactivating your unit.

Apart from ex-dealer Actias, all the Actias being sold are clones. There are very few genuine Actia interfaces on the market because they are generally leased by the franchised network for a period of years and then replaced when necessary with the older units being returned (they are leased).

It is possible that when you get this message and cancel the request (authentication / log in) that your VCI has been deactivated. I suggest you copy your licence file back just in case.

Depending on your exact vehicle (I will need the VIN to check), there may only of been a singe CD option on some versions of the Picassos. This may be why the unit is not communicating with a CD Changer as it may not be recognised via the data network. So that could be another reason.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

James and Marc - thank you.

The CD player I have is not a multi CD changer. It comes from a Picasso. I know there were at least 2 of them in 2nd gen C4 Picassos (also in Peugeot 2008 and 208): PU-3915A (like mine) and PU-3397A (older). They look the same, the difference is in the software version etc.:
PU-3397A PU-3915A
PSA REF NO. 98057372ZD 98105176ZD-01
SW VER. 6.30 6.32
HW 039-3745-00 039-3745-00
CD DRIVE VER. GS1N GS1R
PROTOTYPE STAGE D10 D11
Is PU-3915A is too new for my 2014 car?
To be clear: Diagbox is able to communicate with the CD drive, you can send "eject" command and watch the disc move out.

Thank you,

Greg
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In fact it's the other way round, as I suspected, your C4 Picasso was never supplied with a CD Changer nor was there an option offered for it - only the single slot CD Player.

So if anything, the unit you have is from an older Picasso. Your SMEG unit may not be capable of interfacing with a CD Changer. Many CD changers were discontinued with the advent of later telematics systems and digital storage / streaming capabilities.

You may be able to send an eject command to the CD (as you would with a single slot CD that was available on your car), but other functionality may not be available.

As you can see, only the single CD system was available against your specific Picasso from your VIN - item 38.
Greg CD.PNG

Marc
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

Marc

Thank you for your help.

Just to be clear:
1. My question concerns the CD player, not a changer.
2. You are right - a CD player is an optional accessory for C4 Picasso II and is the only CD on the list (no changer avaliable).
3. My C4 Picasso II has never been equipped with a CD player.
4. PU-3915A I have is a second-hand CD player, taken out of a crashed C4 Picasso II (ca. 2015-2016).
5. The connections are ok. The CD player's ECU is seen by Diagbox, you can read the "Date of manufacture", serial number etc.
6. When atempting to "DELIVERY/ACCESSORY/EXTERNAL CD PLAYER/INSTALLING OF THE EXTERNAL CD PLAYER" my Diagbox says: "Access to the authentication server is not possible..."

So the question is if it is possible to activate a dedicated 2nd hand accessory with the equipment all we :wink: have (meaning Diagbox).
And/or - is PU-3915A compatible with my SMEG+ or I need an older PU-3397A?
I realize the issue is definitely rare.

Thank you

Greg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Greg - Sorry - that was James going on about his CD changer that threw me off! :roll: :-D

Right, so installing single CD.

I think if you have already tried to activate this under the 'Configuration of Customer Options' menu then there's not much else I can suggest.

The only observation I would make is that you are using V7.83. It is well known that any version of Diagbox 7 greater than 7.62 starts to limit telecoding functionality as they move over to internet configuration.

If I were you, try downgrading back to 7.62 which was released in 13/01/2015 (so more than covers your vehicle which was built in April 2014).

Marc
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

Marc

Thank you for your suggestion. I have never thought to downgrade Diagbox. I will try.

Drive carefully :)

Greg
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

I am giving up.
I tried with 7.62. The communication with both CD's ECU and SMEG+ is faultless but it is impossible to convince them to cooperate with each other :cry:

Thanks again.

Greg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Greg. It can be a pain as you are finding out. The configuration options can be accessed via the configuration in the main menu (Customer Options) or directly from the BSI.

So if you want, you could attempt to configure the BSI directly, but do be very careful about changing anything else not related.

1) You would need to run a Global Diagnostic
2) When completed, at the top of the listed ECUs the BSI should be the first one on the list.
3) Select this and confirm
4) You should then get into another menu and you are looking for the Configuration section, but specifically - Manual Configuration.
5) You may have to change the mode of the BSI first - if so remember to change it back to the previous mode after you have finished.

There are 2 sections where the CD value is stored so you will need to locate both of them and set the options in both areas:

CD changer - From Absent to Present
Presence of the CD changer - From No to Yes

Find the correct entry from the from down options, press the GREEN tick mark and then you will have the options displayed - change the entry as needed according to the options above, then press the COG wheel button, which should apply the change. Once you see the change applied, back out of this menu and proceed to find the next entry - but there may be many screens - often with similar entries - but make sure you go through all the pages to find the 2 CD references.

When you have completed the changes, back out of the menus and change the BSI mode back to what it was, when you first started.

End your session properly - don't disconnect the VCI until your properly end the Diagbox session. Allow it to close down, then you can remove the VCI. Turn the ignition off and leave the car for 5 minutes with all the doors closed to allow the BSI to shut down.

Then start the car and see if that has fixed it.

I hope this helps.

Marc
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

Mark

I tried twice: before and after reading your lastest post. :wink:
Before:
I downgraded further to 7.57. The only difference was in the wording of the message from Diagbox. It said "CONNECTIVITY UNAVALIABLE" and then "Programming failed Error (code 415)" instead of "Access to the authentication server is not possible. Please try later..." seen in 7.62.
I also tried to change directly SMEG+ parameters in the REPAIR menu called SMEG_PLUS Write (Configuration with displaying of the parameters /Manual configuration). My attempts to change the value of CD Player parameter from Absent to Present caused the same reaction as in "DELIVERY/ACCESSORY/EXTERNAL CD PLAYER/INSTALLING OF THE EXTERNAL CD PLAYER". No server - no joy.
After:
In BSI2010 configuration there was nothing to change. Even with the CD Player disconnected the default state of CD changer was Present. Both in "BSI2010 Write:eCUs present" (CD changer - Present) and in "BSI2010 Write:driving comfort" (Presence of a CD changer - Yes). Maybe this setting is simply a general BSI setting the more that there is no CD Changer dedicated to cars equipped with SMEG+ (as far as I know :?: ).
The CD Player is seen as a separate ECU and listed as "External CD player" in the Global test.

Thank you again.

Greg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Greg, well 10/10 for persistence on this matter!

I can only surmise that the ECU may well be locked in 'secure mode'. In this mode, a connection to PSA servers (requiring a technician's log in) with an authenticated VCI is probably required. We saw the same things happening on later vehicles as a lot of the configuration is moving over to Internet-configured mode. This varies from vehicle to vehicle but is becoming more the normal thing now.

If this is the case, it will be that you need to get to the dealer and ask them to enable it for you unfortunately.

Marc
xu9j4

Post by xu9j4 »

Hi Marc

Yes, I ended up at the dealer's.
Thank you for all.

Greg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Greg and thanks for the update - this will help others with the same outcome after upgrading their system.

Marc
Cascabulho
My Cars: DS3
Peugeot 307
Peugeot 2008 (P24E)
C3 (B618)

Post by Cascabulho »

Hello,

I have faced the same problem.

It is a SMEG IV2+ unit with NAV, and when i update all the calculators before i have activated the CD Reader on SMEG.
I have activated on the BSI in two places the CD Reader too.
I installed the 15 amp fuse to on SMEG, it doesn't have it from factory.

But with all this i have the icon of CD on gray color (unavailable).

Did i miss any step on activation?

It's on DS3, it doesn't have the option of activate the CD Reader on super equipment, but on BSI and SMEG have the options to set on present.

Regards.
CM.