2004 Peugeot 406 engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Shaohao
New User
My Cars: Peugeot 406

2004 Peugeot 406 engine replacement

Post by Shaohao »

Hello!
I have a 2004 Peugeot 406 with a 2.0 HDi engine with a destroyed body and I found at the auction a Peugeot 406 with 1.8 engine and gas installation from 2003. The problem is that in the latter one has a faulty head gasket. So I have two questions. First: what are the approximate cost of head reconditioning and gasket replacement? Second: is it possible to change the engine from 2.0 HDi to 1.8? Thank you in advance for your help. Unfortunately, I am a total noob in the subject.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 2004 Peugeot 406 engine replacement

Post by wheeler »

It’s certainly possible but would be a LOT of work. Certainly not just a straight swap of the engine. You would need to also change the ECU (and BSI/CPH), engine wiring harness, exhaust as a bare minimum. Potentially also gearbox, gear cables, driveshafts, fuel pipes, fuel tank. Thats just off the top of my head. If you are doing all the work yourself it may be viable, if you are paying a garage to do the work then it would likely cost several times what the car is worth.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes I concur. There are a lot of electronics involved with the Hdi engine and they are all over the place. I had to write my first 406 off due to water ingress as it was cheaper to buy another one than repair it, its still sitting at the top of the field after 10 years and has been robbed of many parts in the meantime.

In my opinion they are probably the best car that Peugeot ever made, I ran the 406 Hdi estates for 10 years and they were very reliable, comfortable, nice to drive and economical and had the best headlights that I have ever had. Even the first one had done well over 200k miles before it failed.

Peter
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Peter.N. wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 12:01 In my opinion they are probably the best car that Peugeot ever made, I ran the 406 Hdi estates for 10 years and they were very reliable, comfortable, nice to drive and economical and had the best headlights that I have ever had. Even the first one had done well over 200k miles before it failed.
Peter
I agree, the 406 was the last of the REAL Peugeots. We still have a 1999 406GLX, had it for years, its as comfortable and drives as well as my Mercedes.

As for Shaohao`s original question, I agree with Wheeler. Anything is possible if you have the time, the expertise, the facilities and the money. It would be a massive task, not worth the effort in my opinion..
Sell the two cars for spares and find a perfect 406HDi.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I was an electronics engineer for 50 years and I wouldn't take it on. My expertise was with valves and analogue.

Peter