Headlights for RH Drive 2016 DS5 for Europe

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Headlights for RH Drive 2016 DS5 for Europe

Post by wheeler »

It really depends on what you have fitted just now. If you were quoted a ridiculous price for LHD replacements it may be that you have HID's.
If thats the case it may well be possible to downgrade them to (much cheaper) halogen lamps. Im not familiar with the DS5 but its certainly possible with a mk1 C5 as I have done this conversion, the halogen lamps fitted & plugged straight in, Just had to reprogram the BHI to tell it that it has halogens.

EDIT: just saw page 2 of the topic & you do have HID's.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not exactly, for the reason that there are 3 separate headlamp units and each was fitted according to the build date of the model / facelift. There were revisions on some lamp units from certain build dates, but within the same design of each.

Any DS5 built (not registered) before February 2015 will have one of the older 2 lamp styles (Halogen or Xenon Discharge & Halogen). From February 2015 on they had the latest and last style headlamp. Having said that, this method is not accurate due to the possibility of 'late registered' vehicles that may have the previous style headlamps of course....

So sticking with the actual part numbers as there are no revisions and only one set each for LHD and RHD vehicles is the best way. I do expect these to be rare given the poor sales in 2017 of just 5738 units sold in Europe. The models were dropped along with DS4 in 2018, with them mostly selling from existing back stocks.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elaine
My Cars: Currently own a righthand drive DS5

Post by elaine »

wheeler wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 14:40 It really depends on what you have fitted just now. If you were quoted a ridiculous price for LHD replacements it may be that you have HID's.
If thats the case it may well be possible to downgrade them to (much cheaper) halogen lamps. Im not familiar with the DS5 but its certainly possible with a mk1 C5 as I have done this conversion, the halogen lamps fitted & plugged straight in, Just had to reprogram the BHI to tell it that it has halogens.

EDIT: just saw page 2 of the topic & you do have HID's.
Hi thanks for your input. This sounds like a positive solution if it is possible. Forgive my ignorance but could you state in layman's terms what HIDs are. Marc (Give me Break) has been very helpful and has told me the p/no I need and has said I have Xenons with LEDs. Is the same thing as HIDs? Sorry, I'm not technical (being a woman doesn't help of course, and the OH is pretty useless too!). Marc, if you have a minute, what are your thoughts on the downgrade option? Although it all sends very technical. As always, appreciate all your help. Elaine
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

HID & Xenon are the same thing.
As i said im not familiar with the DS5 but on the mk1 C5 its a straight swap.
I think what marc may be saying is that based on your build date your model of car was only available with xenons with no halogen option?
On the C5 it was available as both so easily interchangeable .
elaine

Post by elaine »

wheeler wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:29 HID & Xenon are the same thing.
I think what marc may be saying is that based on your build date your model of car was only available with xenons with no halogen option?
Thanks a lot, that makes sense, as Marc is saying there is only 1 type of light that is going to fit our car (unfortunately).
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Have you tried these people Elaine? :)
https://europeanheadlights.com
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

wheeler wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:29 HID & Xenon are the same thing.
No, not quite - On Elaine's model (the third incarnation) her headlamp has Both a Directional Xenon Projector Lamp and also LED lighting in the headlamp.

Previous models had only halogen, then second version had Xenons with a halogen lamp (like the MK II C5 with directional lighting), and lastly, they later had Xenon directional with LED lights too. This is the reason why they have different components due to the design and the LED drivers - plus the software and BSI are configured to operate these types of lights differently.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I think that semantically HID is Xenon as the D stands for discharge - the mechanism by which the light is produced. LED lamps are High Intensity but not discharge type.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

To avoid any confusion
DS5 MK I Light = Halogen only
DS5 MK II Light = (HID/Directional/Xenons/Discharge) + Halogen
DS5 MK III Light = (HID/Directional/Xenons/Discharge) + LEDs

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 14:32 Have you tried these people Elaine? :)
https://europeanheadlights.com
Yes, came back saying their suppliers don't stock the p/no I need unfortunately.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’m sorry to say that it is highly unlikely you will be able to get an aftermarket copy of the originals Elaine. They did not sell enough models to make it viable and of course the vehicle has been discontinued since 2018 whilst they were selling from stock.

Your only bet is to wait for a set of LHD ones to come on the circuit from a car being broken or take the plunge and get a new set. You could always sell your RHD ones afterwards to recover some of the expense, as there may be somebody looking for a set of RHD units.... or of course sell the car and buy something else.

If you are prepared to wait then message the various breaker yards and Bartebben to advise them and they should contact you when available. However this also means that once they know there is a demand it could reflect on the price....

Marc
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thanks Marc. I have emailed a lot of breakers nationally in France, but no one has come back. Also Bartebben said they might be able to help, but after I gave them VIN no, they haven't come back. Our biggest problem is we don't have a valid MOT so can't really drive the car! And we definitely can't afford the prices quoted. After posting on a FB French expat's page, many people say the MOT centres will pass car with deflector stickers, however, our friend here is saying unlikely our car will pass because of the 3 lights in the unit i.e. how can you fit the deflectors? Having said that DS's FAQs on website states Xenon have flat beam so shouldn't dazzle oncoming traffic, but to be on safe side add deflectors! So, going round in circles on that one too. Someone else (mechanic) mentioned many Xenon headlamps have a lever inside the unit of the nearside headlight to adjust the nearside headlamp, have you heard of that? You have been so helpful, if you get to my area in France, I need to buy you a beer! Elaine
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Headlamp deflectors aren't permitted. Did you actually have the car tested for the CT and it fail on the beam? Insurance companies will insure the car on UK plates for a short period of time with restrictions i.e. You can only drive it in mainland France. Take it for a CT with no defectors and if it fails you can drive it legally for two months on a 'Contre Visite'. This will, if nothing else, give you some breathing room to try and track some lights down. If you get a shift on you maybe be able to French register the car on the failure notice. I'm not 100% on this but I do know you can change ownership of a 2nd hand French registered car on a failure notice as long as the paperwork is submitted quickly. With the age of your car you may be liable for import duty. More info can be gathered on the https://ants.gouv.fr/ website which is where you register it on line.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thanks for info, I see you live in France. The car is already registered here, it is just due its first CT here. I've had numerous responses off of people living in my area who have had their cars pass using the deflectors. I don't think we would have a problem trying with the deflectors, the problem is not sure how we could get them to work with our style of headlamp. But like I said before, DS website states to use them on XENON lights, so going round in circles.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

elaine wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 11:22 Thanks Marc. I have emailed a lot of breakers nationally in France, but no one has come back. Also Bartebben said they might be able to help, but after I gave them VIN no, they haven't come back. Our biggest problem is we don't have a valid MOT so can't really drive the car! And we definitely can't afford the prices quoted. After posting on a FB French expat's page, many people say the MOT centres will pass car with deflector stickers, however, our friend here is saying unlikely our car will pass because of the 3 lights in the unit i.e. how can you fit the deflectors? Having said that DS's FAQs on website states Xenon have flat beam so shouldn't dazzle oncoming traffic, but to be on safe side add deflectors! So, going round in circles on that one too. Someone else (mechanic) mentioned many Xenon headlamps have a lever inside the unit of the nearside headlight to adjust the nearside headlamp, have you heard of that? You have been so helpful, if you get to my area in France, I need to buy you a beer! Elaine
Hi Elaine - no 2 systems are the same and these headlamps are directional. As such they have height correctors that measure the body height of the vehicle and inform the ECU that then informs the automatic electronic headlamp adjustment unit of how much to correct the lamp. There is no manual adjustment lever on these - I think it is a case of people not understanding the systems employed on this specific headlamp.

I have just confirmed this from a DS dealer in Exeter for you. A long term stay requires the headlamp replacement which is the law I understand - any masks are just for temporary visitation and wouldn't be permitted for a test. The technician also confirmed there is NO adjustment available - that's why there are separate versions for LHD and RHD. Furthermore this type of headlamp, even with the LEDs and Directional Xenons, the lamps will still 'kick up' the beam, so there is no avoiding a lamp replacement.

Marc