xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: xantia rescue

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:36 I cannot see the solution or maybe there's just something simple that I'm missing, but the way to get it out is just is baffling to me.

Scott, I fully appreciate how tricky this is... It's been too long since I've owned any Xantia to remember off the top of my head exactly how but if you could take some good pictures it might jog our memories...

I know this will not be easy but it will help immensely to both visualise the area and thee issue and to assist in giving a solution...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 17:09
Scottculli wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:36 I cannot see the solution or maybe there's just something simple that I'm missing, but the way to get it out is just is baffling to me.

Scott, I fully appreciate how tricky this is... It's been too long since I've owned any Xantia to remember off the top of my head exactly how but if you could take some good pictures it might jog our memories...

I know this will not be easy but it will help immensely to both visualise the area and thee issue and to assist in giving a solution...
Ah no worries i fully understand, its just started snowing, but give me minuet and ill go fetch som pictures
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 17:16 Ah no worries i fully understand, its just started snowing, but give me minuet and ill go fetch som pictures
Perfect!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

okay I got some pics. the nut on bottom left is clear to get to, and all good, but its the one on the right that's the puzzle, I tried using a extension bar but the angle of the nut seems to be the puzzle, it goes of in the direction that's behind the pedal, very peculiar :-s
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

i got some picture to better show the angle and what its like when the socket is in place . hope these help :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Scott, I now see the problem...

You may find it will help if you remove the black plastic pushrod/plunger between the back of the pedal and the brake valve... It just pulls out from the back of the pedal and is in two halves with a spring inside... As an aside, it's a common modification to remove the spring and replace it with a length of 15mm copper water pipe. This sharpens up the brake response and gets rid of the slightly spongy feel imparted by the spring...

Removing the pushrod/plunger should allow a little more 'wiggle room' to get a bit more 'swing' on the nuts...

You may find a short 1/4" drive socket and a slim ratchet head or a cranked ring spanner may be better for the job as they will fit into more confined spaces, also, a 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint between it and the ratchet head may help too.

In the past, for such jobs I've had to make up special tools... One such was a special thin socket to undo Xantia cooling fan nuts. I did this by reducing the 'height' of the socket and grinding flats onto the socket so that it would fit tightly into the jaws of a spanner...

Hope that helps a bit, the photos certainly helped me :)
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 06:10 Scott, I now see the problem...

You may find it will help if you remove the black plastic pushrod/plunger between the back of the pedal and the brake valve... It just pulls out from the back of the pedal and is in two halves with a spring inside... As an aside, it's a common modification to remove the spring and replace it with a length of 15mm copper water pipe. This sharpens up the brake response and gets rid of the slightly spongy feel imparted by the spring...

Removing the pushrod/plunger should allow a little more 'wiggle room' to get a bit more 'swing' on the nuts...

You may find a short 1/4" drive socket and a slim ratchet head or a cranked ring spanner may be better for the job as they will fit into more confined spaces, also, a 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint between it and the ratchet head may help too.

In the past, for such jobs I've had to make up special tools... One such was a special thin socket to undo Xantia cooling fan nuts. I did this by reducing the 'height' of the socket and grinding flats onto the socket so that it would fit tightly into the jaws of a spanner...

Hope that helps a bit, the photos certainly helped me :)
Ah Jim your a absolute legend, thanks for that, that makes loads more sense now, ill get to and let you know how i get on.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey Jim I was hoping I could ask you one more question, I've been working away on the cylinder the last two days, and I got the plunger to look like this , getting it to come as forward as it could, I'm just a bit confused. as I think I haven't done it the right way. I cannot seem to be able to slide the cylinder out the back, the answer wasn't showing its self, so I thought it would be best ask for your opinion on how I should go about solving the plunger issue
many thanks Scott :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

to remove the cylinder/plunger Scott, lift the brake pedal as high as possible and then pull the plunger out from the back of the pedal...

It should not be too tight in the pedal and should pull out by hand... You may need to give it a bit of a twist and a jiggle...
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Hey jim good news i managed to get the plunger out, ive got to say that thing was really stuck in there.ive been reading all the posts on how to fix the retun line, and they say just keep wigling it out until you can fit your hands in, but it seems to be blocked by the air con pipes and i didn't want to push it, i was thinking just cutting some of the padding and see if it gives me more wiggle room,but I thought id ask the expert first :-D thanks scott
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great news on getting the plunger out Scott :D

Yes, I think you will be best off gently cutting the padding... I know it's been done in the past for similar work as one V6 I owned had the padding in that area cut and out of place...
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 16:14 Great news on getting the plunger out Scott :D

Yes, I think you will be best off gently cutting the padding... I know it's been done in the past for similar work as one V6 I owned had the padding in that area cut and out of place...
Ah great, well thats where ill start the weathers said to be good tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how i get on.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Hey Jim i got a chance to have another look a the doseur. i started cutting the pading, then playing around to try and move the return line to get as much space as possible but it just wont budge, i can get a little play but its like its stuck on something. i was wondering was the something like a third bolt i missed, do i need to disconnect the pipes, im trying to truble shoot what it could be but nothing clear is coming to me, and i was just wondering if you had any guess.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Scott, I'm sorry, I'm at the end of my knowledge now as I have no V6 Xantia I can look at to refresh my memory :( I know one look and I'd be able to offer some better advice but it's been a long time since I've had a V6 now and the memory is not what it was...

My apologies...

Shame you're so far away or I'd be round, once lockdown is over, to assist...
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 17:40 Scott, I'm sorry, I'm at the end of my knowledge now as I have no V6 Xantia I can look at to refresh my memory :( I know one look and I'd be able to offer some better advice but it's been a long time since I've had a V6 now and the memory is not what it was...

My apologies...

Shame you're so far away or I'd be round, once lockdown is over, to assist...
Ah its no worries I understand, I guess ill just have to try and fix it the old fashioned way( a hammer and a blow torch and a little bit of devine intervention :-D ). But in the mean time ill just keep at it and im sure a solution will pop its head up. I know its not the best way for a person to try and fix a car, over the internet but i just wanted to say i still appreciate all the help you've been giving despite that.
Thanks Scott