2014 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive Boot not opening.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

noworries2004
My Cars: 2014 Grand Picasso

2014 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive Boot not opening.

Post by noworries2004 »

Hi

The other day i opened the electric boot on my C4 grand picasso. NO problems opening it, it opened as normal using the electric opening.
However when i tried to close it it just started beeping and it would not close.
I tried to close the boot manually using force but it was stuck in the open position.
I took off the passenger side strut and it was stuck in the open position and i could not get it to close.

Has anyone seen this before?
Is it a failing strut?

Boot Strut part numbers:
98 040 698 80
98 040 697 80

I can see the following on Ebay but it is s different part number: Are these compatible: Part number 98 040 690 80
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C4-P ... SwM0VeKvN1
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2014 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive Boot not opening.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Is there one long beep or 3 beeps in quick succession?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
noworries2004

Post by noworries2004 »

Hi

This gives 3 Beeps in Quick succession.
The Passenger side Strut is solid and will not close. So boot is open to the top.
If i remove the passenger side Strut and disconnect it the Drivers side Strut will close allowing the boot to close fully manually. The Electrics will not open/close the boot if only one Drivers side strut is connected.

If i disconnect both Struts and press the boot close button it still gives 3 Beeps in succession.

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Better late than never! :-D

Ok, so a couple of things as I can't locate any info on the beep sequence for the C4 Picasso, but on the X7 Tourer the only action following 3 beeps is:

Stopping of the movement of the motorised tailgate, followed by 3 emissions of sound alerts (1 beep of 1 second, 1 beep of 2 seconds, 1 beep of 1 second); The motorised tailgate ECU commands the going in of the motorised striker if it is out, declutches the tailgate mechanism and turns off the tailgate closing switch. The motorisation of the tailgate is no longer possible.

So unless you can get it diagnosed for a specific fault code - as there are plenty of these associated specifically with the motorised tailgate, we're not going to get any pointer. Also, a generic code reader may not be able to read the specific constructor codes for these systems - only basic engine codes, so really needs Diagbox.

Common issues relating to motorised tailgates are:

1) Something stuck or an obstruction, causing the obstacle sensors to kick in and stop the movement.
2) The battery has been disconnected and during this time, the tailgate has been manually opened / moved / closed - thus de-synchronising the tailgate position.
3) A weak or poor battery - most common, as over time operation of electrical features combined with all the other electrical operations that occur when the vehicle is not running can easily deplete a battery. Also, given that you have Stop Start on the Picasso, it's another thing to drain the battery.

So I would get my battery checked for health - does economy mode kick in pretty quickly after you have switched the ignition off and try to use the navigation system for example? How old is the battery? If it's over 5 years old - probably well due for a replacement.

Marc
noworries2004

Post by noworries2004 »

Great Thanks very much for the quick reply. (only took me about a year to reply :-D , ) Have been living without a boot for that long.

Ill get the battery checked and will also try and get it plugged in with Diagbox,
What i did notice is that when i press the Stop Button it doesnt turn off straight away.
I need to keep the Stop button pressed for around 10 seconds before the engine switches off.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's probably to do with the Stop & Start. It won't allow the engine to be switched off under certain conditions of which one is when the driver seatbelt is unclipped (risk of engine restarting) or the door open - there's a load of reasons but likely this is why if Stop Start is active.

Marc
shavy65
My Cars: Spacetourer `69 Plate

Post by shavy65 »

Hi guys, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

I`m currently struggling with a similar problem on our 69 plate Spacetourer. Tailgate opens no problem but when I push the button to close the tailgate it beeps 3 times and the little button flashes, the tailgate then refuses to close.

Any help much appreciated!

Davey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If the re is one short, one long and one short beep, then that usually means there is an obstruction or an invalid position of the tailgate. It may declutch and motorised closing is not possible.

The other possibility is that the main car battery is weak and economy mode has kicked in, preventing further discharge of the battery. If the battery is 5 years old + it probably needs changing as the overall health may be poor and the overall capacity has diminished. This is especially noticeable when a lot of electrical equipment is being used in wintry conditions / short journeys where the battery is unable to fully replenish the power consumed.

I'd get the battery health checked (measuring with a multimeter won't cut it, as this will only measure volts at rest or when being charged and not the general battery condition).

Marc
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

Thanks for the reply Marc.
It`s 3 short beeps and the little light on the button flashes as well. There doesn`t seem to be anything obstructing the tailgate so assuming it`s nothing to do with the anti pinch system.
I`ll certainly get the battery checked and report back!

Much appreciated.
krm70
New User
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (2014)

Post by krm70 »

Hi all,

Did anyone get a resolution for this? I have the same problem - 2014 C4 Grand Picasso.

When I press the tailgate open button on the key, it unlocks, but does not raise. I can manually open it, but it takes some effort to lift the tailgate. Pressing the button on the tailgate to close it - I just hear 3 short beeps and no movement. I can close the tailgate manually, but it takes even more force to do that.

I did have the battery replaced a couple of years ago, but I've only been doing short journeys recently, so I notice ECO mode doesn't kick in & turn the engine off when I stop. I've found this to be quite common in colder weather & when the start-stop function hasn't kicked in before, the tailgate still opened without problem.

The local Citroen dealer wants to charge £60 to diagnose. They'll charge £520 to supply & fit a couple of struts (!) or £230 to fit the motorised boot unit, depending on what is needed.

The part numbers on the gas struts are: Right: 98 040 697 80, Left: 98 040 698 80. I'm thinking of just removing them and replacing them with regular manual struts as a pair can be bought for £40 - £50.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Kevin
shavy65

Post by shavy65 »

Hi Kevin or what it`s worth I can give you an update on my faulty tailgate as I had the same issue as yourself with the 3 beeps but not closing.
Mine seems to be working again...and I don`t know why. I did ensure all the `obstacle sensor` areas were snuggly fitted and clean and checked the latch was moving freely. I wondered if my issue was related to the battery as well. My wife regularly does short duration journeys, like 2 - 5 miles before shutting the engine off and later travelling the same distance home, and also our Stop/Start never works.

Sorry can`t be anymore help, but I would appreciate an update from yourself once you get the issue resolved as no doubt this problem will come back to haunt me! :shock:
Waseem
My Cars: Citroen C4 grand picasso

Post by Waseem »

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 C4 Grand Picasso with similar problem. Boot doesn't rise automatically with key fob, you really have to use alot of effort to lift the boot up and close it.

Has anyone found any solution to this would be a great help.

Thank you
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Common issues are a weak / discharged vehicle battery.

Marc
sgthirkell
My Cars: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso

Post by sgthirkell »

Hi everyone, sorry to drag up a fairly old post but I am new to the forum and have the same issue where the boot unlocks but will not raise. 3 short beeps when I try.
I can move it manually against the strut motors so it isn't stuck and the battery is fine.
Anyone found the answer to this?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's difficult to say without a diagnostic as to what the issue is. A weak battery can be a cause, where operation of the motorised tailgate is prohibited if the battery is determined as being weak, to avoid other issues. It may be an obstacle in the way or another fault - but without a fault code I can't really be of more help. Be aware that a cheap diagnostic scanner will very unlikely be able to read the more advanced custom manufacturer fault codes either. It needs a professional tool like Diagbox.

Marc