Citroen C8 noisy engine after timing belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chriscroy2010
My Cars: Citroen c8

Citroen C8 noisy engine after timing belt change

Post by Chriscroy2010 »

Hello all,

ive got an issue with my citroen c8 2.0 16v petrol 2005.
Ive changed the complete timing belt kit with water pump. And the car has developed these issues:

- noisy whining sound
- car doesnt respond to the accelerator as it used to be , basically it has lost the power, i can feel the difference also when stopping, engine is misifirng?

When i came to collect my car, the mechanic said that the timing belt has been changed quite recently by the previous owner (but hasnt changed the water pump) and it was set up incorrectly, that the top didnt line up with the bottow bit (marks done with a marker) , and he done it properly. The thing is that with the previous set up the car seemed to be allright, no problems with the acceleration or misfire. But anyway, i came back to him the next day, because of the whining noise , he checked it and called ECP and (sound was clearly coming out from the water pump ) apparently i gave him the incorrect spec water pump. He has ordered it the proper one , and he will change it tommorow. But im wondering if his timing belt set up is correct or should i ask him to go back to the previous one. Or maybe is it because of the incorrect spec water pump?

Thanks for reply and any advise.
petarc1971
My Cars: Renault scenic ph1 1,9dci

Re: Citroen C8 noisy engine after timing belt change

Post by petarc1971 »

It is amazing that the water pump is not suitable. The engine is not brought into phase and therefore does not work well. With that engine, the tool for bringing into phase is used, not the points marked with a marker, the lower pulley is tied with a crankshaft cable, but it has a movement and you should be careful with the work.
Chriscroy2010

Post by Chriscroy2010 »

Thanks for reply. Yes i was shocked today too, like how the hell he was able to fit that anyway... so you reckon the problem is with the incorrect water pump not the timing belt set up itself? He swore that it was done properly as it should be.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There are 2 variations of this engine timing setup, the later one has a floating crank pulley/pinion. If tippex or markers have been used id be amazed if it is set up correctly. There is a special tool to peg the flywheel & it must go fully into the hole till it is flush or again it wont be set up correctly.
Chriscroy2010

Post by Chriscroy2010 »

Hi guys, so ive replaced the timing belt again (this time was done properly + ngk spark plugs + mann air filter) the noise is gone thank god but the problem with lack of power is still there. Before i went for a timing belt replacement ive checked for any errors (wow diagnostic software) and i had just one p1622, but i deleted it 8-[ ive checked it today again but no errors are coming up.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the timing was incorrectly set up there may be slight valve damage. Seeing as there was no problem before the timing belt change I would do a compression test just to rule it out.