2008 radio problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kippax2710
My Cars: Citroen DS3

2008 radio problems

Post by Kippax2710 »

Hello folks,
The radio in my 2008 keeps on switching itself on and off. I spoke to my local dealer, who asked for £84 to look at it. I asked there must be a software update that I could solve this problem myself. He was adamant they need to look at first. Made several excuse as to why.
My question is this is there a software upgrade that I can download. If so how do I get hold of it.
My car is 66 plate 2008.
Thanks
Kippax2710
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: 2008 radio problems

Post by Paul-R »

Would you happen to be listening to one the BBC stations on DAB? There are many stories on the internet from people who are finding that happens on their SMEG+ and other Magneti Marelli systems. Does it still happen if you're listening to FM or AM stations?

If it's a SMEG+ system in your 2008 (I don't know I'm afraid) then check to see what firmware version is fitted. Updating to the latest 5.43.A.R2 seems to cure the problem. I believe that the same principle applies to SMEG+ IV2 systems. I'm not sure about earlier SMEG systems.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Kippax2710

Post by Kippax2710 »

Paul-R wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 18:40 Would you happen to be listening to one the BBC stations on DAB? There are many stories on the internet from people who are finding that happens on their SMEG+ and other Magneti Marelli systems. Does it still happen if you're listening to FM or AM stations?

If it's a SMEG+ system in your 2008 (I don't know I'm afraid) then check to see what firmware version is fitted. Updating to the latest 5.43.A.R2 seems to cure the problem. I believe that the same principle applies to SMEG+ IV2 systems. I'm not sure about earlier SMEG systems.
I drove the car the other day and it was happening when using a USB stick as well. How do I get hold of that software update.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

You haven't really answered any of my questions. Is it a DAB only or all frequencies problem when listening to the radio?

I've not heard of a problem when listening to music on a USB stick but I've had one thought - does it only happen when you switch from DAB to Music (i.e. DAB is on in the background) or when you switch from FM as well?

It would be really, really useful to know what infotainment system the 2008 has and what version firmware is fitted at the moment.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Kippax2710 wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 18:27 My question is this is there a software upgrade that I can download. If so how do I get hold of it.
I dont know your specific radio model but on older PSA radios you could buy the firmware updates from the parts department on CD/SD card for just a few pounds. From memory the updates for the original RT3 systems were around £3.50 for the disc.
Ask your Peugeot parts department.
Kippax2710

Post by Kippax2710 »

Paul-R wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 21:29 You haven't really answered any of my questions. Is it a DAB only or all frequencies problem when listening to the radio?

I've not heard of a problem when listening to music on a USB stick but I've had one thought - does it only happen when you switch from DAB to Music (i.e. DAB is on in the background) or when you switch from FM as well?

It would be really, really useful to know what infotainment system the 2008 has and what version firmware is fitted at the moment.
Update, my wife drove the car to work this morning. Kept the dab off bbc radio stations and the radio didn't reboot itself once. Funnily enough I listen to talksport in my ds 3 and now again bbc radio and have the exact same issue!!!! Anyway back to your point. From what I remember the radio was on then I inserted the usb. Switched the source to usb and then the problem started again. Everytime it rebooted it went to the usb as the last source I was listening to. It did this several times. I checked the software last night it gave the year 2015.
Hope this was helpful.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Sorry I haven't got back on this earlier but I've had no internet for nearly two weeks.

What version of firmware do you have fitted to the head unit? If you press the COG icon top right for 5 seconds, it should display what version of firmware you're on. If it's SMEG+ then the latest is SMEG5.43.A.R2 and this seems to cure the rebooting problem. You're almost certainly on an earlier version (actually certainly if it's dated 2015), possibly by quite a lot.

sacitroendriver
My Cars: 2004- 2.0.L 4 door Citroen hatchback, 4 speed manual.

Post by sacitroendriver »

Paul-R wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 18:40 Would you happen to be listening to one the BBC stations on DAB? There are many stories on the internet from people who are finding that happens on their SMEG+ and other Magneti Marelli systems. Does it still happen if you're listening to FM or AM stations?

Hi I can't tell you about any software upgrades, but i can tell you, that you can now buy a DAB am/fm bluetooth receiver (you stick it into the 12 volt plug) and that will solve your radio problems I think because the syncing device stop your radio from turning on and off all the time.. All you have to do is sync it in to your car radio and your phones blue tooth and then set it turn on when you start the car. If you want to turn it off, you just hit the button in the middle of the bluetooth syncing device. I have the device in my citroen as it did not originally come with bluetooth and it works well. I now have hands free phone and my radio reception is much better. I live 102km from the nearest capital city, so my reception issues were quite major. I could drive 5km down the road out of town and already have major reception issues. I hope this helps you out. P.S. just go online and google DAB Bluetooth radio/mobile phone syncing device and they will come up. They are not expensive. I paid under $60.00 for my unit (AUD) You might be able to get something cheaper.
Good luck.
sacitroendriver
My Cars: 2004- 2.0.L 4 door Citroen hatchback, 4 speed manual.

Post by sacitroendriver »

Sorry forgot to add, my 2004 C5 2.0L estate wagons car radio is Bang and Olufsen (is that pronounced right? Not sure) but that is the model of the car stereo. Not sure if that makes any difference?
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

sacitroendriver wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 01:43... i can tell you, that you can now buy a DAB am/fm bluetooth receiver (you stick it into the 12 volt plug) ...
There is a fitting guide somewhere here that Marc (Givemeabreak) put together a few years ago on fitting one of these. I also have one in my C5 X7.

As a workaround for the rebooting problem it does seem a touch excessive to pay out real money for something that can be fixed for nothing with a firmware upgrade!