Citroen C5 X7 turbo error P0299. Need help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Yuri_L
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.2 Hdi 204Hp 4HL DW12C AM6

Citroen C5 X7 turbo error P0299. Need help!

Post by Yuri_L »

Hello everyone.
I have Citroen C5 X7 2.2Hdi, 204Hp, DW12C, 306800Km. Turbo TD04L - MHI with electronic actuator.

I'm sorry to bother you all, but I have to tell the whole story:
Everything was great until one day(approx. 306000Km) during the way home, I got an error about low level additive for FAP. I ordered and add Eolys (I have about 0.5L in tank - so it wasn't dry). I deleted the error and updated the level of additive. Everything was fine.

The car was left in the backyard for two weeks.
One day I had to drive and admitted that there was a lack of power, but no errors were found that day. After that I had a trip. I had got the P0299 error and power was gone when I reached the highway and accelerated.
I had got power back for about 1 minute after I had a stop on the highway. The car is still in this condition - the problem has not found.

The strangest thing that I still have power time to time (after engine starts I have about 2-3 mins of correct working turbine).

What was done after the error appears:
1) Fap was cleaned. Now I have 4-8mb at Idle. I feel that the car begins to breath easier.
2) MAP (turbo pressure) - works and give correct measurements. Once disconnected - give -40mBar and error.
3) MAF. I connected another one (used) and got the same value reading. One thing is very strange - the car starts and works fine, even without it (I disconnected it)
4) Electronic actuator goes fine. There no tremble on working engine. Actuator have movements when engine high revs (by value reading and visually).
5) EGR pass test. It is Ok.
6) Air doser pass test. It is Ok.

Is my problem in turbo and I have replace it?
But why I still have working conditions time to time and it gives pressure about 3000mBar by the value reading through the scanner.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Citroen C5 X7 turbo error P0299. Need help!

Post by EDC5 »

That deos seem strange. So you have no fault codes at the moment?

If your turbo can still produce 3 bar of boost then I struggle to say that there is anythign wrong with it.
Yuri_L
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.2 Hdi 204Hp 4HL DW12C AM6

Post by Yuri_L »

At this moment I still have fault P0299.
Turbo works after start the engine(1-3 minutes) and error codes have been erased before it.
The fault code back when I give a load to the engine.
pdawson0
New User
My Cars: 2007 C5 II SX 2.2 HDI 6 Speed

Post by pdawson0 »

Hi,
I am having an identical problem with my C5 II 2.2 HDI.
Checked for boost pressure leaks but none found.
I did discover the DPF was reading 69% blocked and the car would not run a regen cycle when I took it freeway driving, so my mechanic used his computer to run a forced DPF regen cycle which made a big improvement - power was good and the P0299 code went away - for a few weeks. Now it's back but not constant like before.

My question is - how did you solve your problem?

All I can think of is a mis-reading boost pressure sensor or a sticky wastegate actuator. EGR would throw an OBD code. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated