DS 7 Crossback Head unit

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Christoff
My Cars: DS 7 Crossback

DS 7 Crossback Head unit

Post by Christoff »

Does anyone have any technical specifications on the head unit thats provided in the DS 7 Crossback? Model/Brand etc.

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS 7 Crossback Head unit

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These are the DS Connect Nav units - there's not really much out there at this time, apart from I know they have been made by Continental since the early units in 2016, but has far as I can tell are still made by them and have been further developed for use on the latest models. All I know is that they have a specific automotive Linux based operating system and conform to the GENIVI software standards.

The platform allows for and will continue to develop more and more vehicle integration. So apart from telematics and infotainment systems, you are starting to see integration of other vehicle systems - lighting, radar and camera systems, and you can already see customisable dashboard displays appearing. Soon you will have 'morphing' digital displays that will change the displays and controls as your hand approaches or based on voice control.

Although it sounds great, in practice I suspect it will be another matter. Feedback from some of the early units has been horrendous - the lack of a physical button to press to change the temperature and having to constantly take your eyes off the road to check which menu the screen display is on before you know where to press is an unwanted distraction to many.

Worse, I suspect is that when (not if) something gets a glitch, it will mean the car won't operate until it's fixed I suspect! Give me physical buttons any day! :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Iansel
My Cars: DS7, VW ID.3, Triumph TR3,
Gone - BMW 123, Megans , Grand Scenics, Xantia, Renault 21, Peugeot 405

Post by Iansel »

Marc, totally agree with you. In the showroom and test drive you don't realise how difficult it is to adjust things whilst driving. Things with physical controls on stalks or on the wheel or voice activated are relatively easy but anything on the main screen is difficult. in particular the select function touch sensitive buttons along the bottom of the central display mean that you can't put your thumb down as a steady to allow you to use your index finger to select for example to enter a post code. You need a co-pilot!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Being a bit of Star Trek fan, it reminds of the Voyager series where as you may know, all the control interfaces are flat LCARS touch sensitive displays (shown on the middle picture bottom) - but the Helmsman liked to act out his fictional 'Captain Proton' Holo-novels - akin to the old black and white Flash Gordon episodes at the Cinema matinees. In one episode they decided to design a new shuttlecraft and he couldn't resist adding in some retro controls from his holo-novel....
Lcars B.PNG
Lcars C.PNG
Lcars A.PNG
So in a very roundabout way and if Voyager is in anyway indicative of what the 24th century will be like, my message to future engineers is "Don't do it!"

Can't beat good old switches and buttons - something more satisfying about the sound of a click I think. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc