Computer advice needed

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Computer advice needed

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Steve, I have just checked, and your laptop is a 64bit system, so it will handle more than 4GB RAM. As it has 2 memory slots it will support up to 16GB RAM. Here is the spec list;

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/p ... _sheet.pdf
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That Latitude has a max memory capacity of 16 Gb in 2 banks of 1 slot - so I believe this needs pairs of matched memory. So if it's 16 Gb you want, you'll have to dump the existing 4 Gb (which will be 2 x 2Gb modules), and get either 2 x 8 Gb, for 16 Gb or 2 x 4 Gb for a total of 8Gb .

Crucial do a 16Gb kit (2 x 8Gb) for £85.19 or 8 Gb Kit (2 x 4Gb) for £50.39 inc. VAT.

You can always flog the old memory on the bay, as there are always people after cheap modules.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Marc, as I suspected.

I was expecting to dump the existing RAM and replace with a matched pair.
Those Crucial modules are cheaper on the Amazon site.

I upgraded a previous laptop, only had one 4Gb card so bought another. Wouldn't work when I plugged it in but was OK when I swapped the cards over in the sockets.

Flogging stuff on eBay is too much like hard work. Buying works but selling, nope.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D I agree with you there!

As an aside, I've just found out why there's a shortage of dried yeast for baking over the last 12 weeks during the Covid period....

A certain cohort of miserable individuals have been clearing the shelves in the supermarkets and flogging it at 4-5 times the price on ebay. A dead giveaway of profiteering as most of it is branded Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda..... Despicable practice. I believe ebay have made it clear they they won't tolerate it and to report the individual sellers doing it. So time for some payback and a great way to spend this afternoon reporting about 20 of them.

We regularly bake bread so it has been a pain for us as we are shielding and won't go into the shops, so rely on click & collect and home deliveries, but not had any yeast for the last couple of months. Flour has been an issue, so we ordered a sack of French Bread Flour and some organic yeast direct from the Mill. God that stuff honks though...

Rant over, but good luck with the memory Steve. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My Mum (who has been shielding because of her age) asked me, several weeks ago, to get her some more yeast. The ninth shop I went to had a load of 5g sachets (all of the others, including major supermarkets, had sold out), so I bought her 10 (they still had plenty left in the shop afterwards). She kept about half the yeast for herself, and shared the rest with the boating community where she was moored at the time.

On the memory front, I was using the information on the memory card Steve posted a picture of to make the search. I agree that you can find suitable memory at a better price, especially on Amazon.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm wary of buying memory from eBay, too great a possibility for it to be incorrect or damaged. The Hynix stuff you linked to was very cheap, suspiciously so.

I have three bags of plain and one self raising. I bought a bag of plain then discovered one at the back of the cupboard, then bought a bag of 'strong white bread flour' a couple of weeks ago - which was what my wife always used. Have dried yeast, bought to kill slugs with - a small amount, dissolved and in a bean tin attracts slugs that drown in the solution. Trouble is they stink to high heaven.

I've never made any bread (yet), only pancakes and Yorkshire puddings, rarely.
My wife used to spend all day Saturday and/or Sunday cooking and baking, lots of which would be frozen for later use. Very rarely bought anything other than raw ingredients. I never learned to bake, shameful really, must pull my socks up.

Off to see my daughter shortly - she's a baker so I can raid her kitchen :)

Amazon delivering again today, a ringflash that wasn't supposed to be here until next week and there will be no-one home.