DS5 keys not working

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zipdip

DS5 keys not working

Post by zipdip »

Hi all thanks for the help with the door problem I had,but the car has decided that it will not see both keys,the car is unlocked ,no real problem as it is up my driveway,I have replaced both batteries in the key fobs still nothing,the car starts with either key in the dash,as you know these cars are keyless start,all the doors and boot are closed not sure just how to get the car to see my keys any help would be much welcomed. :)
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
zipdip

Re: DS5 keys not working

Post by zipdip »

Well just made it worse,thought just maybe the central locking was stuck so got the key out of the fob and put it in the door and I locked the car the wing mirrors closed the car is locked and now it will not unlock on the key
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Ok a update I managed to open the car with the metal key so I am back to where I was before,both fobs have new batteries,the car does not see the key when you are in the drivers seat,even when in the slot in the dash that message does not disapear,but the car starts if you push the start button,I have given one of the keys to a local mechanic who has a friend with a key reader so he can tell if the key is working,I suspect it is because the car starts ,I looked in the manual and it says unlock car with the mechanical key I have done that,place the electronic key in the reader that is putting key into dash,it then says switch on ignition by pushing start button the key will now be fully operational again,well it is not,then we get see a Citroen dealership,well given lockdown and the fact the nearest one is 20 miles away,I might have to live with it the way it is ,at least I can do some shopping in it,unless you guys have a way of sorting these keys out.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, a few posts to work through here....

Ok, so first thing I'll say is that there are known problems with this system.

Specifically, the door handles contain sensors and aerial wires for the detection of the fob for hands free access and also sensors to detect a touch on the handle button and handle areas for the locking and unlocking by touch functions. These are notorious for failing, leading to intermittent working.

The following areas are known issues on the DS:- the paint applied to the handles at the factory is too thick and secondly, the interior sensor cables are too tight, leading to snapping over time as they are flexed and unflexed during use.

There are plenty of cases where the handles have been replaced on these because of failure. It's not the immobiliser part or the fob as this is being recognised and the vehicle is starting when in the car.

When it is playing up with the driver's door, try going to the rear and passenger doors and seeing if it is the same. It is mostly the front doors handles that fail as these tend to get the most use.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Hi thanks for the reply,I did post the solution.it seems to have got lost in the web somewhere,ok it seems that you have to be very careful just how you put new batteries into these fobs,they are used on lots of models in the citroen range,the fob contains one battery,you take the back off and you can flick the battery out,now if you look there are two contacts on the bottom,but the contacts you have to be careful about are the two at the side,so when you put the new battery in angle it towrds thoes two contacts at the side then seat the battery down,I just pushed the battery in both fobs and bent the side contacts and so the fob will start the car but the rest is toast,thanks for the reply Marc hopefully this post will help others.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, thanks for the update - and I'm pleased it was not the handles as these are quite expensive to replace.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
when2meets2boy
New User
My Cars: Xantia, DS4, DS5. My first experience with the French being with the Xantia.

Post by when2meets2boy »

In short, therein lies the problem and herein is the solution, YouTube video link
Last edited by myglaren on 07 Jan 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video link
Ltp
New User
My Cars: Ds 5 2012 2.0 Tdi

Post by Ltp »

Very helpful post . Thank you.
Beahen
New User
My Cars: DS5
Peugeot Boxer

Post by Beahen »

Thank you for posting this video. It has saved me £600 as my dealership garage said the problem could not be fixed and I needed new jobs. Very grateful to have found the video and this forum.