Public and Commercial Transport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Public and Commercial Transport

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Remember the "Backbone of Britain" ads for the Ford Transit :?:

Its been some years now since Ford deserted these shores with their Car and Van Factories, and the Ford Transit is as British as the Doner Kebab. Thankfully there are still vans assembled in Great Britain, but those vans are in the main products of our beloved Stellantis, who despite a previous period of consistent whingeing and threats to do a Ford, have appeared to have settled down to "get on with the job" of making and selling vehicles in the United Kingdom.

Here's a little piece from Fleet News of the e-Transit from Turkey, anything but the "Backbone of Britain". No that particular accolade now better sits with our Netherlands-based congomerate Stellantis.
https://www.commercialfleet.org/van/rev ... sit-review
The launch of any new Ford Transit is big news for the UK fleet industry, with the iconic model range having been the backbone of the van sector for more than five decades.

However, for Mandy Dean, Ford’s commercial vehicle director for Britain and Ireland, the new E-Transit – the manufacturer’s first fully-electric van - is “massive”.
Really :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

couple of minutes read from Fleet news
DfT sets out next steps to decarbonise transport

or the full "brochure" from the Department for Transport
Decarbonising Transport A Better, Greener Britain One Year On

The usual waffle, but coming soon "The Zero Emission Vehicles Mandate 2024", Changes to driving licences, Local Authorities obliged to produce and implement Local Charging Strategies.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

From the 1920's on the roads of Northumberland
Type NN Renault Pick up 1920's I think
Type NN Renault Pick up 1920's I think
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just in front of the Renault was this steam tractor from across the pond.
By no means an unusual encounter at this time of year
By no means an unusual encounter at this time of year
Country road driving...
Always drive at a speed where you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear and...
Assume you will meet a large steam-powered road roller around every corner.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You might have already seen it but I just watched Gregg Wallace 'inside the factory' oop north building London's electric buses.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Good news for Stellantis. Seamless transition up here, virtually every Royal Mail Van you see is Electric now, and yes even the most rural of routes to all the remote farms, miles from civilisation, are covered without a hint of range anxiety, chatting with a couple of the lads the other day.
https://theenergyst.com/royal-mail-pass ... tric-vans/

In addition to the vehicles already in use, the business is announcing a deal signed for a further 2,000 electric Peugeot vehicles. The new vehicles comprise 1000 Peugeot Partner and 1000 Peugeot Expert models and are due to be delivered from August as part of the company’s plans to have 5,500 EVs by Spring 2023.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:51 My son-in-law has taken up a post in one of the air taxi companies. He will be involved in design and production of the craft using his composite materials experience. This is the company he starts work for on May 1st:

https://volocopter.com/en/

I look forward to some test rides in due course! :-D
Latest from Volocopter article in insideevs
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm not certain but I think the chap in the high vis with the mask over bushy beard towards the end is my son-in-law. He's not allowed to discuss his work at the moment so I won't ask him! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Down at the NCC MOT Testing Centre today for the Leaf, spotted the backbone of Turkey in the flesh, a single example in the yard emblazoned with e-transit stuff. I do hope Northumberland CC don't think they are buying British, by acquiring that Transit. :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 17:51 Remember the "Backbone of Britain" ads for the Ford Transit :?:

Its been some years now since Ford deserted these shores with their Car and Van Factories, and the Ford Transit is as British as the Doner Kebab. Thankfully there are still vans assembled in Great Britain, but those vans are in the main products of our beloved Stellantis, who despite a previous period of consistent whingeing and threats to do a Ford, have appeared to have settled down to "get on with the job" of making and selling vehicles in the United Kingdom.

Here's a little piece from Fleet News of the e-Transit from Turkey, anything but the "Backbone of Britain". No that particular accolade now better sits with our Netherlands-based congomerate Stellantis.
https://www.commercialfleet.org/van/rev ... sit-review
The launch of any new Ford Transit is big news for the UK fleet industry, with the iconic model range having been the backbone of the van sector for more than five decades.

However, for Mandy Dean, Ford’s commercial vehicle director for Britain and Ireland, the new E-Transit – the manufacturer’s first fully-electric van - is “massive”.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 12:12 Down at the NCC MOT Testing Centre today for the Leaf, spotted the backbone of Turkey in the flesh, a single example in the yard emblazoned with e-transit stuff. I do hope Northumberland CC don't think they are buying British, by acquiring that Transit. :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 17:51 Remember the "Backbone of Britain" ads for the Ford Transit :?:

Regards Neil
We obviously need the Donald Trump words to Ford when they were going to build a new factory in Mexico, "If you want to sell them here build them here."
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

The Tyne Tunnel

Not a suitable thread for it, and not worth a new one. Could have gone into Big Brother is watching you, your evidence please.

Today I had to visit Sunderland.

Indulging in normal behaviour, the route to choose would have been the A19 through the Tyne Tunnel.
After researching what was now required to use the Tyne Tunnel, having ditched the barriers automatic buckets and collection booths, I decided to boycott using it and took a circuitous route via the Tyne Bridge.

You are free to drive your vehicle through the Tyne Tunnel, no doubt there will be notices up explaining the payments system, but basically your vehicle details are recorded as you pass through the tunnel, and you have until midnight following the day of use, to use one of these 4 methods of payment
temp2.png
or you will get a...
UTCN that's an Unpaid Toll Charge Notification
The following charges will apply to late payments:

£30 (in addition to the original toll fee, if paid in full within 14 days of the date of notice)
£60 (in addition to the original toll fee, if paid in full within 28 days of the date of notice)
Please note: failure to pay an unpaid toll charge in full within 28 days of the date of the notice will incur a charge of £100 (in addition to the original toll charge).
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Northern Echo and presumably Chronicle is always churning up articles of how useless the charging system for the Tyne Tunnel is, and people being fined for being unable to pay due to the complexities.

It is years since I went through it, mainly because of the queues. I always drive the A1 and come off to drive the cost road, (A167) to avoid the Tyne bridge whenever possible.
The Team Valley ECP would be an easier destination for you, presuming they have your items in stock. Often quicker to go a longer way round, and less hassle.
My daughter does much the same to get to Seaton Delaval. A1/A19/A190.
NewcastleFalcon

Made a mistake on the way back, instead of going on the A19 up to Testos and heading for the Felling By-pass, I headed along the A1231 up to Washington to join the A1 North at Birtley ish. Huge queues, so went down to Birtley itself and onwards to the old A1 past the Angel of the North/Low Fell and onto the Tyne Bridge.

Sunderland was the only ECP in the Area with the driveshaft in stock today, Team Valley. Longbenton and Newburn were collect Thursday.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

As you may remember back in 2020, when we completed the September Stroll, one of the criteria for the route was to traverse the major river crossings that one or both of us had not used before. For that reason we routed through the Tyne Tunnel but I have no memory of paying a toll!! I certainly have never had a penalty notice for it so was it not in operation then, suspended due to COVId or did I get away with one? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 21:35 Made a mistake on the way back, instead of going on the A19 up to Testos and heading for the Felling By-pass, I headed along the A1231 up to Washington to join the A1 North at Birtley ish. Huge queues, so went down to Birtley itself and onwards to the old A1 past the Angel of the North/Low Fell and onto the Tyne Bridge.

Sunderland was the only ECP in the Area with the driveshaft in stock today, Team Valley. Longbenton and Newburn were collect Thursday.

Regards Neil
You passed within a whisker of my house then Neil.

There have been loads of problems with the A1 and A19 recently, mostly crashes closing the roads.