Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I highlighted the chain of "ownership" from Hubsta/Mer up to the Norwegian State-Owned Energy Company StadtKraft.

viewtopic.php?p=709200#p709200

Instavolt offer quite a dependable network of chargers, but have been swallowed up.

In the UK, the English charging infrastructure provider InstaVolt now has a new owner: Zouk Capital has sold InstaVolt to the investor EQT Infrastructure. InstaVolt currently operates around 700 DC charging points with 50 kW capacity.

The new owner EQT Infrastructure says they have committed to invest in the accelerated roll-out of InstaVolt charging points in order to build a network of 10,000 fast charging points across the UK by 2032. The exact amount EQT paid for InstaVolt and the announced investment has not been revealed, only that it will be “significant”.
The curious can look up EQT Infrastructure but I guess they will navigate further interim stage of expansion before being swallowed up by the very largest players in the energy market.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Referring to the previous post, indirectly contributed to the sovereign wealth of the State of Norway, by using our Hubsta RFID card to get a top up from the 7kW charging post at the South Causey Inn. Also now have a "Mer" RFID card useful when out and about in NW Durham, where they have 7kW posts in quite a few locations.

There are enough alternatives now we have been doing this electric car thing for over 2 years to avoid range anxiety dramas. Some charging providers like Instavolt and Osprey are reliable easy to use and dependable. The previously free Northumberland CC chargers used to be a bit hit and miss, but since they moved over to being charged for haven't come across an instance where we have turned up at a NCC charger and it has been out of action.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Having a wander through the EV stuff this morning found this@

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 11:37 How soon before someone comes up with a "Box" between car and home, which could use the car to store the solar power, either for use in the home or to charge the car for normal use. :?: With out the need for an additional home powerwall or whatever. Maybe its happened already.
Looks like its happened Now!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Artisan Electrics installed one recently that included battery storage and thermal storage (hot water tank) and also could take power from the car if needed.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

That certainly looks good on the face of it. It does re-raise the ongoing question about standardisation of charging hardware so that the BEV newcomers do not have to worry about Type 1, Type 2 , CCS or whatever. I think cracking that issue will accelerate the development of many other devices which could be very useful, eg many people in this part of the world have their cars in lock up garage blocks with no services so being able to take your own supply down to the garage to run lights and tools etc. would be a great boost to going BEV!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

A product of pressing the quote button as opposed to the edit button...deleted duplication
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Feb 2022, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In the battle of Charging Connectors Chademo came first. As CHAdeMO was created by Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Fuki and Tokyo Electric Power Company, Japanese carmakers are some of the biggest adopters of CHAdeMO technology.

CCS rapid DC connector standard emerged later developed by various German carmakers, and was introduced in 2012 by Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, General Motors, Ford, Daimler and Porsche.

The CCS standard has become much more popular than CHAdeMO in Europe. However the pioneering Chademo has built in bidirectional V2X (ie Vehicle to everything!) and features in gibbo's video. Haven't checked up recently but I do believe the CCS standard needs development to offer this.

The road to bidirectional CCS electric car charging

...and as an item of Trivial Interest what do Chademo and CCS stand for :?:
Spoiler: show
Chademo-Charge de Move
CCS-Combined Charging System
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Has this been posted previously?

Electric made from Aloooominuminum.

American and a robovoice, possibly worse than plain American, stresses all over the place.

NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 19:11 Has this been posted previously?

Electric made from Aloooominuminum.

American and a robovoice, possibly worse than plain American, stresses all over the place.
Not that video Steve. You did link to an article on Aluminium batteries on the Batteries & Recycling thread Steve. I put a link on that thread back to here :-D

viewtopic.php?p=689238#p689238

Great if it makes it out of the lab and up to a commercial scale, but at the moment CATL the worlds largest Battery producer, is expecting, over the next 10 years or so, proper solid state batteries, and sodium-ion to be the next at scale stage of EV battery evolution.

Solid State viewtopic.php?p=709562#p709562
Sodium Ion viewtopic.php?p=709515#p709515

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 11:37 How soon before someone comes up with a "Box" between car and home, which could use the car to store the solar power, either for use in the home or to charge the car for normal use. :?: With out the need for an additional home powerwall or whatever. Maybe its happened already.
Looks like its happened Now! (2) and what's the vehicle :?: ...a good old Classic Leaf :-D (miles ahead of its time!)

In California

This is V2L (Vehicle to Load) not V2H (Vehicle to Home) as it says in the Video title

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Charging up didnt go to plan today on our trip out, couple of occupied chargers, one a Hyundai Kona, one a Skoda Enyaq.

First one, didnt know how long they were going to take, car was unoccupied. Had a walk came back after 15 minutes and no sign of owners so decided to move onto the next one seeing as we had plenty range to get to it.

Second one Skoda Enyaq was on charge at 34%. Dont know which version it was but could have had a 77kWh battery. Big batteries take a long time to charge. Still we were at out destination were going to spend at least 2 hours there so no problem just parking the car up and returning later to charge up.

The Skoda was at 80% when we returned, sort of the unwritten charging point etiquette level for bailing out of a public charger if someone its waiting. Unfortunately a brief conversation with the driver revealed he intended to charge up to 100%. He tapped away at his screen and said probably about 20 minutes to get to full charge.

Bit irritating to be honest, but a couple of takeaway coffees and a caramac blondie soon wound down the waiting clock :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I knew this would be on the way, little Hubsta now swallowed up by the Norwegian State owned Stadkraft and their offshoot mer.
temp2.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I read that the parking charges were limited to £50 max. Perhaps it is yet to be implemented.