Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In a fairly loose definition of a vehicle to find a place for it in the electric vehicles infrastructure thread, shipping giant Maersk are doing this...
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Home Charging, Usually about 7kW, slow On-road /workplace charging posts 7kW, Rapid Chargers 50 kW, superfast Chargers 100kW or 150 kW, now proposed Hyper Chargers 1000 kW. All depends on what the vehicle is designed to charge at too.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest ... technology
Voltempo has launched a 1,000kW HyperCharging charger which it says will be able to charge the next generation of EVs in as little as six minutes.

Designed and built in Britain, the company said the system has been designed around the needs of service stations and fleets, and is suitable for cars, vans, trucks and buses.
How to fry lithium ion batteries in one easy lesson perhaps, or an unnecessary attempt to mimic a petrol pump.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Looks like I will have missed out (by choice) , but Gibbo got in just in time.

New EV purchasers will probably get the EV Home Charger as an upsell, or incentive through partnerships between manufacturers and the larger Home Charger players, but the first-time used EV buyer will now have to swim in the new grant-free pricing pond for home-charger installations.
From April 2022, the EVHS will no longer be open to homeowners (including people with mortgages) who live in single-unit properties such as bungalows and detached, semi-detached or terraced housing.

Installations in single-unit properties need to be completed by 31 March 2022 and a claim submitted to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) by 30 April 2022.

The scheme will remain open to:

homeowners who live in flats
people in rental accommodation (flats and single-use properties)

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

More Ospreys in the UK, easy to use, contactless PAYG, and dependable chargepoints in my experience.

Osprey to install fast-chargers at UK retail sites for Ediston

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A couple of reviews, one an Audi E-tron and the other a Tesla Model 3 on similar journeys comparing running costs and charger accessibility.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Having watched both of those reviews quite attentively I came away with 2 distinct impressions:
1. I am not ready for an EV while the potential issues encountered in the Audi charging sequences exist.
2. The driver spends far too much time looking at the display rather than the road, a major distraction from my point of view.

So, if I do make the switch to electric power it is only going to be when I can rely on home charging for 90+% of the time and when I can maybe complete the conversion of my MX3 or similar and thus maintain normal instrumentation as it has now!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think he might have done better if he had used the Pod-Point or the Zap Map apps to plan his journey.
https://www.zap-map.com/
https://pod-point.com/solutions/driver/network
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Nice flourish of posts Steve. I have watched many from Jordan's Artisan Electrics channel. Surprisingly I found the Driver Training guy a bit less irritating this time compared to his picking up the Tesla video.

Eventually prices for on the road electricity, vehicle taxation, fuel taxation, or pay as you drive road pricing are all going to catch up. The anomaly of home charging at domestic rates for electricity used as a "road fuel" will also be taken away in some shape or form.

The current phase is probably the best time to give electric a try, particularly second hand. The cheaper running costs enjoyed up to now will be eroded. I've seen them eroded in my short time so far of ownership. I enjoyed 18 months of free charging in Northumberland/ Scottish Borders, now gone in Northumberland, but still lingering on for now at some of the Borders rapid chargers with a chargeplace Scotland Card.

The road trip, how much it cost at the various chargers in the vid was interesting, but I find whether a Tesla or an E-tron does it cheaper a bit irrelevant when to have one of those vehicles close on £1000 exits your bank account every month and "buyers" choose them because they want them at that type of money and piddling differences in on the road fill ups is not that critical.

In contrast to those two cars, while he went wow at the TESLA saloon doing 3.64 miles/kWh compared to the Audi brick doing 2.95 miles/kWh, my current winter dial on the 6 year old Leaf shows 4.2 miles/kWh. :-D

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Feb 2022, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Disappointing Neil but perhaps it was due to his long journeys with only breaks for charging.
If he had been flitting about sightseeing it may have been different.

I feel that there is still a long way to go with electric transport.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another one with charging problems.

Looks a nice car but too much hassle.
I despair at all the 'apps' that now seem to be essential.
I keep them to a bare minimum, partly as I despised the name 'apps'. (-expletive removed-)!
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 12:23 Another one with charging problems.
Looks a nice car but too much hassle.
I despair at all the 'apps' that now seem to be essential.
A very fair video, and at least he did do his planning, but undoubtedly the problems he drew attention to on his return journey are commonplace.

One of them should never have occurred and should have been fixed years ago. The mandating of payment by contactless bank card. I reported on this thread that
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:27 Tagged onto the press release from the Department for Transport, Office for zero emission vehicles about the cut in subsidies for new EV's, was this on mandating contactless payment for all new chargepoints 7.1 kW and above. This has needed to be done for years, and I thought it had been, but its still "next year" so it not quite there even now.
"Meanwhile the government is also setting out that it will introduce new rules next year that will increase confidence in our EV charging infrastructure. These rules will mandate a minimum payment method – such as contactless payment – for new 7.1 kW and above chargepoints, including rapids. Motorists will soon be able to compare costs across networks which will be in a recognisable format similar to pence per litre for fuel and there will be new standards to ensure reliable charging for electric vehicle drivers."
Bit of charge point etiquette also required. Many do operate "If a charger is vacant I'm going to use it whether I need a charge or not". Northumberlandia is a case in point, you can park up plug in at the single charger and go for a half hour stroll around the site. I have seen E-trons, Jaguar I-paces plugged in with states of charge over 90% having only plugged in 10 minutes beforehand.

Dont know how they worked it but we arrived on our first out of area expedition at Morrisons at Elland in West Yorkshire at the Geniepoint Charger. Luckily a very helpful helpdesk person linked in our BP Polar plus card to the Geniepoint system and we were able to charge then and there, and ever since at Morissons Geniepoint Chargers.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey