Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by mickthemaverick »

Neil, I've noticed tonight that when you have posted portrait pictures they are switching to landscape when you click on them. When that happens to mine I open the picture in paint and then save it again and it stays in portrait when clicked. I wondered if you could try that ? :) PS It did it when I quoted you in the next post and I did my paint trick to stop it! :)
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 10 Oct 2020, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 22:22 Well I've got my charging cable trailing across the grass from the wall mounted charger at Humshaugh Village Hall. Luckily no one tripped over it!
borrowed from Neil
borrowed from Neil
REgards Neil
I think this illustrates that it probably would be a good idea for charging cables to be bright orange in common with garden tools leads :?: :-k
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes I sometimes do that when I remember!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is a common problem with photo's taken on phones.
NewcastleFalcon

These are the additional chargers being installed by NECA and North of Tyne Combined Authourity in various North-East locations. Only had need to try them once.... and on that occasion in spite of a call to the helpline neither the PAYG or the App tried by another EV Driver worked. Put it down to teething troubles at that particular location.

Electric Blue Charger<br />App and PAYG
Electric Blue Charger
App and PAYG
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 22:22 Well I've got my charging cable trailing across the grass from the wall mounted charger at Humshaugh Village Hall. Luckily no one tripped over it!

You're forgiven Neil, it does not look like a public thoroughfare to me - unless you have grassy pavements up your way!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 17:48
You're forgiven Neil, it does not look like a public thoroughfare to me - unless you have grassy pavements up your way!
Thanks Jim, place was deserted, good job there is a decent length on the cable. Interesting little stop off place as just up the road at the Crown Inn were those 4 Microcars, and as mentioned on POTD the pub makes quite a thing of car meet ups/ tractor meet ups/ microcar meet ups etc. Dont know where all the money comes from for the assembling of their regular sunday supercar meet. Wall to wall Mclarens/Maseratis/Ferraris/Porsches etc. if their facebook page is anything to go by.

New charger today to tick off the "I Spy Northumberland Charging Points book!" Round the back of Wilko at Ashington and free-vend...can't complain. Very nearly done 10,000 miles of EV motoring now in the BB Leaf about 9.000 of which at least have been free fuel. I tuck away what I would have spent on the same milage in the Micra on petrol on a monthly basis and dont touch it. (well so far at least!).
NCC Number 4 bagged
NCC Number 4 bagged
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

New to our local Tesco car park.
Attachments
IMGP2191 (2).JPG
IMGP2190 (2).JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

It that the one at Chepstow Gibbo?

Pod-Point (now owned by Electricite de France) have been one of those "app" only providers and so far I have never been able to use their chargers. I'll have to have an investigative trip to the Newcastle one to see if the new installations allow payment by bank card, which was certainly the policy intention for new installations.

Plenty going on on the EV Infrastructure front, LIDL Morrisons McDonalds.....and Tesco wanting to be the biggest and best. Much more options for charging up on the road/days out even since we first took the plunge last November.
The Details

We're proud to partner with Tesco & Volkswagen to deliver the nations largest retail EV charging network.

The charging bays will be based in Tesco Extra and Superstore car parks throughout the United Kingdom and made up of:

7KW fast chargers - which will be free to use.
50kW rapids which will be priced in line with market rates.
22kW chargers where 50kW rapids are placed.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

In Lydney Neil but I believe the Chepstow store was also done recently.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Published by: Lawrence Allan, AUTOCAR magazine, on 15 October 2020.

BMW recalls all plug-in hybrid models due to battery fire risk.

BMW and Mini confirm global recall of every plug-in hybrid variant, affecting models built this year.

BMW has issued a global recall of all of its plug-in hybrid models due to a battery fire risk.

The recall affects petrol-electric versions of the 3, 5 and 7 Series, the X1, X2, X3 and X5 SUVs, the 2 Series Active Tourer and the Mini Countryman PHEV, if built between 20 January and 18 September 2020. It also affects i8s built this year until production ended in April. Roughly 26,700 cars are affected, with 2930 already delivered to buyers and the remainder awaiting delivery.

Engineers have found problems with foreign contaminants, which may have been sealed into the battery packs themselves during production. BMW sources its packs from Swedish third-party supplier Northvolt.
A brand statement says the PHEV recall and delivery halt is "a preventative measure" as "internal analysis has shown that in very rare cases particles may have entered the battery during the production process.

When the battery is fully charged this could lead to a short circuit within the battery cells, which may lead to a fire." German media reports that a fix is expected to start being rolled out by the end of the month.

It is not the first recall to affect BMW's plug-in models. All of the above models bar the i8 were subject to a recall earlier this year to remove welding beads left on the battery.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Whoops!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Think those dodgy batteries might end up here? :)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/re ... =msedgdhp
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 09:24
Engineers have found problems with foreign contaminants, which may have been sealed into the battery packs themselves during production. BMW sources its packs from Swedish third-party supplier Northvolt.
BMW and Northvolt have a bit more closer relationship than a "third party Supplier" with a major joint investment in the Swedish factory.

Northvolt raised $1 billion last year from investors including Volkswagen Group, Goldman Sachs and BMW to build the battery-cell factory in Northern Sweden.

May reduce the blame and litigation which would normally follow on from such things. Particularly seeing as BMW have awared Northvolt a 2 Billion Euros Battery supply contract

Regards Neil

VW also plan to spend about 1.35 billion euros to erect a joint factory with the Northvolt in Salzgitter, Germany.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 09:24 German media reports that a fix is expected to start being rolled out by the end of the month.
"I wonder if a hybrid fire extinguisher will be added to their extensive and expensive options list?"

nicked from the comments list following the article :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey