Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm not sure if this is EV infrastructure but it was bloody hazardous on several levels...
Silver St. Tripwire...
Silver St. Tripwire...
I spotted this in the beam of my head torch during my morning run today...

An EV charging cable laid across the pavement form a terraced house to a car parked on the side of the road :twisted:

A good job it was orange...

Had I not been wearing a good quality head torch or had the cable been black I may well have picked up more gravel rash this morning...

Do any rules exist regarding EV charging cables fouling the pavement?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Don’t know about EV specific rules but running a cable across the pavement that’s not in a rubber cable ramp or cut channel is illegal as far as I know.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 07:39 Don’t know about EV specific rules but running a cable across the pavement that’s not in a rubber cable ramp or cut channel is illegal as far as I know.
Thanks Simon :D

If this becomes a regular happening (I run past the location almost every morning) I'll report it to the authorities...

It's potentially lethal...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It's a no no that cable. If any Essex girls were coming home from a night out, their stiletto heels could puncture that cable and fry them. :rofl2:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:02 It's a no no that cable. If any Essex girls were coming home from a night out, their stiletto heels could puncture that cable and fry them. :rofl2:
:lol:
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Whilst I can understand the safety issue here it. Is a problem which is stopping some, with no off road parking, from taking up a BEV. If the cable was lined with an LED light string and thus have a clearly visible warning, it could be red lights and could be flashing or rippleing along the length, would that make it acceptable Jim? Or would it LEAD to madness for the passing epileptic? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:23 Whilst I can understand the safety issue here it. Is a problem which is stopping some, with no off road parking, from taking up a BEV.
Fully and absolutely agreed Mick... And I do believe all effort needs to be made to make EV available to everyone who wants it despite parking and charging logistics... It's going to be a problem that will grow as EV uptake increases and needs to be addressed...
mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:23 If the cable was lined with an LED light string and thus have a clearly visible warning, it could be red lights and could be flashing or rippleing along the length, would that make it acceptable Jim? Or would it LEAD to madness for the passing epileptic? :-D
:lol: That did make me smile Mick :) Seriously, if the cable was in a proper rubber ramp road crossing device as Simon describes above and with a warning cone I'd have absolutely no problem with it...

Then it would be no bigger risk than negotiating minor roadworks or indeed rough areas of pavement and the latter is an everyday hazard...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

In the early days of discreet computing I ran a network installation company and working in older buildings without modular flooring we frequently had to run network cables in floor conduit which was as Simon described, rubber construction of trapezoid cross section giving a ramp either side of the central cable chamnel. Generally they were glued down and worked well but there was one unfortunate incident involving a tea trolley with small casters and an over zealous tea lady!! We were landed with provision of a replacement shredder and a minor rerouting job to accommodate the refreshment service!! :-D
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Years ago we had a guy running the cable the opposite way, from the street lamp to his workshop. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The well known authority "the EV Cable Shop" has this piece about it.
Intuitively should a tripping incident occur that incurs personal injury, the cable layer, is leaving themselves wide-open no matter what precautions they have taken to make it noticable or to minimise the tripping hazard. Any sort of home or vehicle insurance will walk away from any claim so if any legal action is successful, and there are plenty firms out there who will "help-out" with claims bogus or genuine, it could well be very expensive.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Oct 2020, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That is a good resource to have Neil which has passed me by until now. Thanks for the link! :)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I asked Mrs Bobins about that cable scenario. It's not an offence as such in that instance, but the householder would become liable if injury or accident occurred. Normally, you'd hope the householder would become 're-educated' by the relevant authority before anything happens. Ultimately, it's down to the courts to decide on whether any offence was committed.
Different rules would apply in the workplace, and different rules may apply up in Scotchland.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting on the legal side of it... Thanks all :D

I shall keep a look-out for it on subsequent morning runs and see if it becomes a regular occurrence...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well I've got my charging cable trailing across the grass from the wall mounted charger at Humshaugh Village Hall. Luckily no one tripped over it!
Humshaugh Village Hall
Humshaugh Village Hall
Hubsta Community Charging Point
Hubsta Community Charging Point
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey