Turbo Core Cartridge Recommendations - Citroen C5 110 1.6 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlsberg101
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Turbo Core Cartridge Recommendations - Citroen C5 110 1.6 HDi

Post by carlsberg101 »

Hello,
New member so apologies if this is in the wrong section or has already been asked a thousand times. I did try the search but couldn't find anything.

So, bit of background, just bought 2010 C5 110 1.6 HDi tourer which shows new turbo fitted almost exactly 12 months ago and as luck would have it the turbo went whilst I was driving it home from the auction. Yeah, tell me about it. Bloody thing was quiet as a mouse and no smoke when they started it and drove it through the auction hall. Sounded like a wailing banshee with smoke pouring out of it 5 miles down the road.

Anyway, the nut has come off the end of the spindle and it is sloppy as anything. Interestingly a copper washer fell out of the outlet side when I laid it on the bench, I haven't opened it up yet but I'm curious where that has come from. The body looks OK, surprisingly clean so probably was replaced 12 months ago, so I thought I would just replace the core. I should add here I've owned and tinkered with Citroens and Peugeots for many years but this is my first experience with working on the turbo.

Any recommendations where to purchase the new core? I've been Googling and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choice. There are loads to choose from ranging from crazy cheap to silly expensive so any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Turbo Core Cartridge Recommendations - Citroen C5 110 1.6 HDi

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need the correct turbo first, post up the VIN and we'll get you a part number, then you can search on the correct model - don't rely on third party sellers as their databases are invariable wrong.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

OK thanks. VIN no. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] and the Part No. on the Turbo, a Garrett Remanufactured model 753420-9005S
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 19 Nov 2019, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: VIN masking
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so there are several numbers:

Garrett Part No: 753420-5006S

The Citroen part number is 0375J8

Garret Reman Part No: 753420-9006S

Model: GTA1544V

So you might be able to get some spares from these references:

One place here in the UK looks like they have a good catalogue:
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webshop/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

Check the injector clamp bolts as well , they at 7mm and are one of the main reason behind a turbo failure on that engine. The bolts slacken off and the injector works lose. This damages the seal and allows exhaust gas passed and mixes with the oil. The oil thickens and clogs the turbo oil feed line strarving the turbo of oil which hastens failure.
Simon
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

Thanks guys.
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

And so the fun and games continues.The stamped identification plate part number on my existing remanufactured turbo definitely ends "5S" whilst the correct part number should end "6S" as confirmed by Marc above and Garrett's website and apparently "5S" does not exist. So I have sent a message to Garrett to see if they can trace the part number for my turbo from the serial number.
Sods law if I get a replacement core for the "6S" it wont fit my dodgy turbo. I suspect it is not a genuine Garrett remanufactured turbo.
I'm beginning to think I have bought a lemon.
Also I checked the injector clamp bolts and they did seem loose. I've read they can stretch or snap if you over tighten them so I just gave them a tentative quarter/half turn or so.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just realised your location, i know Dorset it a reasonably sized county but if you need any help, Lexia etc i am in Poole, Happy to help if i can
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

admiral51 wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:38 Just realised your location, i know Dorset it a reasonably sized county but if you need any help, Lexia etc i am in Poole, Happy to help if i can
Thanks Mate. I've had Peugeot Planet before and I've just installed Lexia so I'm on a steep learning curve. However I might give you a shout if I get stuck.

Also for anyone else interested in this Turbo saga. Garrett have replied and the part number ending "5S" apparently is a genuine number (even though it wasn't recognised on their website search facility) and is compatible with the "6S". So next job is to order a replacement core.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

please make sure you flush the oil and i believe the vacuum methos is pretty thorugh for these engines. or maybe remove the sump and clean / replace the oil pick up . The turbo feed pipe gauze (there might be 2) will also need changing/ removing and cleaning however the engine side one i believe was removed during a service bulletin
Simon
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

Yep, I'm dropping the sump this morning but it has clearly been off recently judging by all the gasket sealant so I'm guessing that had it off and hopefully replaced the oil pick up when they changed the turbo last year. I will check though and any in-line filters.
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

Quick Update. In the end I went with Direct Turbo UK via their ebay page. Not the cheapest but not too expensive either, I wanted to keep the costs down as I'm not sure I want to keep the car. Details on their site were easy to follow, next day delivery and installation went without a hitch except one very very minor issue with the oil intake washer being too small but I re-used the original.
Overall I was pleasantly surprised that it was a relatively easy job with everything accessible, there are some very good Youtube videos to help. Now I'm just keeping everything crossed to see if it was just an unfortunate one off or I really have bought a lemon. I'm hoping it was the stray washer in the turbo that caused the failure as I really couldn't find any other clues.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Good luck with it. Despite the problems of the lube system and turbo, there are many around with huge mileage.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2