battery charging

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walbeck
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch

battery charging

Post by walbeck »

New owner of a Citroen Dispatch. Looking at the handbook it says disconnect battery before using a mains battery charger, then goes on to give dire warnings and instructions, it all seems a right faff never needed to on any other car. The reason I need to charge the battery because its going into economy mode after 2 minutes and only driving short distances. As a side issue is it possibly to reconnect the radio and electric windows to a non economy circuit
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: battery charging

Post by myglaren »

There is a recommended battery disconnect/reconnect procedure that is quite crucial. A pain but worse if it isn't followed.

Given your symptoms it is quite likely that your battery is past its best and the current weather will do nothing to help it.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I have seen advice that says it's ok to use an intelligent battery charger without first disconnecting the battery - that's what I do with my C5, but I dare say that could still cause trouble on some cars :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
walbeck
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch

Post by walbeck »

thanks for the replies
quote "Given your symptoms it is quite likely that your battery is past its best and the current weather will do nothing to help it" Your probably right but it starts the engine first time every time, which in my experience is a indication of good health?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just a quick question, what is the standard time for the vehicle in question to go into economy mode?
Is it possible that it is normal and the battery is fine ?
Agree with doing the disconnect/reconnect procedure though, well worth the extra time and effort IMHO :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Typically it is thirty minutes before the car goes into economy mode (but it is also linked to how long the engine has run before, as it takes time for the battery to get full charged after starting the engine).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Hell
So looking at OP saying it goes into economy mode within 2 minutes after driving only short distances and it fires up first time could this be normal?
Battery drain from start up, short journey not fully recharged battery so economy mode activated ?