EasyDiagnostics vs eBay etc for Lexia3

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: EasyDiagnostics vs eBay etc for Lexia3

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If I'd known about that OZ deal I would have asked my OZ visitors to bring one over for me. £47ish is a real bargain. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wfdTamar
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 Citroen C5 LE (150 kw)
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4
2002 Hymer Classic B584 (in the UK)

Post by wfdTamar »

There'd be similar on eBay UK I'm sure.
2015 C5 Limited Edition (2.2 HDI) 150 kW 450Nm (Racechip S 179kW 528Nm)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have two, one from China and one ED set, the China one does not connect to some cars I have tried it on............says it all for me really.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wfdTamar
Donor 2023
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4

Post by wfdTamar »

Well, that eBay one works on my car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well that's good - there are a lot of clones out there - so it is pot luck. i'm glad you have one that works. Normally when doing a Global test, you may find some ECUs not detected. Others are poorly made and the pins come away from the board due to poor soldering - so I would treat it with kid gloves and don't allow any strain on the connection to the VCI.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wfdTamar
Donor 2023
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4

Post by wfdTamar »

Ah yes the non detected ecu (I presume BCI is PSA lingo for ecu) was going to be next and how to interpret error codes (or where to find that info). Is it in Servicebox if you pay?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

BCI? Do you mean BSI?
If so, then not really. The BSI is the 'Built-in Systems Interface' It is the central controlling computer of the vehicle - your X7 will have anywhere up to 25 ECUs on the data network depending on equipment. The ECUs communicate with each other using advanced data networks, split into power train, safety systems and comfort networks. The BSI is the one that coordinates the information between these and makes decisions on what can happen and when essentially. It handles things like when you lights come on, how long for, whether you can operate your electric seats, starts up various other ECUs on the network when you open a door, gets the car ready for lift off etc.

As for error codes - post them up here - I have access to most of this information - or yes, you can opt to pay (timed access only though). Unless you know what you're looking for though it can quickly become expensive...

Marc
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

If the author doesn't mind,
did checked ED and some local (bg) sites, and I see, that a PSA XS Evolution version is offered with full chip rev. C hardware and online access to PSA servers. The description says, that programming is possible with this version. Had anyone tried the programming function, because I've seen recommendations here, explicitly not to try programming (downloading) with an Actia clone, which I presume even the Xs Evolution versions are?
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you are getting a little confused - I'll try and explain. All the Actia clones will try and contact PSA servers if allowed (when the internet conneciton is eabled during use). Many features of Diagox will attempt to contact PSA servers for configuration information or to log the 'technician's' username and password before allowing some procedures. When this happens, the servers will identify the Actia as a clone and very likely deactivate the software.

All the units offered for general sale are clones, as the original units used in PSA dealerships are leased out and replaced every few years.

The ability to telecode (change configuration parameters) will depend on the version of Diagbox you are using. For example, if you were changing a head unit for another model and need to change the VIN number and some of the head unit ECU parameters from the donor vehicle to match the options on your vehicle, you could do this via manual telecoding. However on later versions (Diagbox 7.65 and later), the abilitity to telecode some models has been reduced - requiring an online connection and account to do - and as I've said, if you do this it will deactivate your software.

Basically, you can't connect to PSA servers, as a) you would need to have a valid account with dealer access, user name and password and b) your clone may be deactivated anyway.

There should be no reason to go online to do anything really as it is the dealers who do this to apply software certain ECU updates - only where these are required.

Having said all that, there are some that have bought tokens using their PSa account to perform some functions - but sometimes this has worked and other times it has not and resulted in a mis-configured ECU. So generally it is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Marc
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Actually yes, I'm a bit confused, because all advertisements for an XS Evolution kit states, that it can perform nearly all dealer functions, which I presume, also must include reinstalling original ECU software, and this is the function I'm looking after. OK, I guess if this functionallity is true with XS Evo kit, and as I understand from the above - still not recommended, the data maps and MCU software, would be from some other source or best a copies of what resides into the PSA servers, which still would be great - maybe I'm wrong here also :-D .
The thing is I have second hand Rev. B clone and it does the job regarding reading/erasing fault codes, but won't dare to try it for downloading (writing to the inj. ECU) anything. So I was wondering if there would be any improvement (per ex. inj. ECU remapping) in functionallity with this XS Evo kit over what I have now (regarding pre 98 Xantia)?

BR
Martin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

For a Xantia, there would be no benefit in upgrading to later hardware or software. The only device that would be better would be a Lexia II (if you can find one that still works).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ksanturion10 wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 01:12 Actually yes, I'm a bit confused, because all advertisements for an XS Evolution kit states, that it can perform nearly all dealer functions, which I presume, also must include reinstalling original ECU software, and this is the function I'm looking after.
Any ECU software has to be done via PSA server connection which you won't have access to. But in asny case, this is also potentially dangerous if you don't know what you are doing as 'updating' an ECU can have a knock on effect on other ECUs / systems that could render them innoperative if the update is not intended to be applied to that specific vehicle, build date and ECU revision.....!
OK, I guess if this functionallity is true with XS Evo kit, and as I understand from the above - still not recommended, the data maps and MCU software, would be from some other source or best a copies of what resides into the PSA servers, which still would be great - maybe I'm wrong here also :-D .
ECU updates are only carried out from PSA servers and only where appropriate to do so - see my answer above.
The thing is I have second hand Rev. B clone and it does the job regarding reading/erasing fault codes, but won't dare to try it for downloading (writing to the inj. ECU) anything. So I was wondering if there would be any improvement (per ex. inj. ECU remapping) in functionallity with this XS Evo kit over what I have now (regarding pre 98 Xantia)?

BR
Martin
Again, you can't install anything from a Lexia Clone without connected access to PSA. Even if you could, a clone is not ideal, because it may not be compatible with all ECUs and cause a problem writing the data. We are already aware of some issues on later vehicles where some clone interfaces do not write parking assistance data back to the ECU correctly and leaves them in an unconfigured state. Not all clones are equal and some are better made than others. And here I am talking about telecoding manual parameters to the ECU and not software updates.

Here and generally after reading this last paragraph, I get the impression you are talking about tuning and re-mapping - which is not something a Lexia / Diagbox kit is designed for. A Lexia is designed for diagnostic troubleshooting, diagnostics and measurements, as well as the interface between the vehicle's ECUs and the PSA servers, and also for guided repair procedures. If you are talking about ECU mapping then that is not what it is designed for and a topic we won't discuss here for obvious reasons. I think having that conversation with a tuning company is probably better.

Marc
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

First I would like to thank you for taking time at answering my questions.
I'm not after tuning, but only reinstalling the original inj. ECU software, which was put at the factory.
Why, because I have the impression, that the maps have been altered already - the car has LPG injection ECU, and the way it works would need correction into the advance data maps. But this is only an assumption I have, based on the fact that the car can't lower the rpms under 1200 at idle, with the LPG inj. ECU disconnected. Ofcource the reasons for this behaviour could be a lot more.
From what I understand, for this service I should contact either a PSA dealer or a tuning company -> got it :wink: :).
Don't want to blurr the topic anymore.
Thanks once more for the thruall explanations and recommendations!

BR
Martin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Martin, if it is just a matter of reinitialising the engine management ECU, you don't need to download any software, it can be done using Lexia (within Diagbox) and performing a few procedures. If you have your VIN (to make sure I have the correct information) I can probably look it up and post the instructions here for you. :-D

Marc
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Hi Marc, would it be necessary to buy a Rev. C hardware with full chip, because mine is Rev. B and it has only 2 optocouplers?
Also, the version of Lexia within Diagbox, which is something like 500.xx should be used and not the stand-alone one, which is 345.xx, right?
I'm asking, because I have troubles installing Diagbox.
Is there an option to save the current configuration of the inj. ECU, and revert it if necessary?
Can you specify, what additional information you will need for the instructions you've mentioned, and I will try to derived it from my VIN.
Anyway, thanks for the hint :D

BR
Martin