Fumes in the cabin + Citroen C5 2004

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchbulldog
My Cars: Citroen C5 2004 Exclusive 2.0

Fumes in the cabin + Citroen C5 2004

Post by frenchbulldog »

Hi, I have been struggling with the problem for at least a couple of months. My car is a Citroen C5 2004 Exclusive 2.0 petrol fuel
I have noticed fumes in the cabin immediately after I picked up the car at a garage where the high voltage coil has been replaced due to a sudden lack of power. I rolled the car to the nearest garage immediately as I noticed the problem. I have the car for at least 5 years and there's never been fumes in the cabin before. I reported the problem over the phone immediately, but the garage refused there could be any connection between the repair at the high voltage coil (a linear piece of assembly in this car, with 4 outputs, one for each spark plugs) and fumes in the cabin. Since then, I checked 4 items but none resolved the problem:

1- torque at spark plugs - checked
2- O-ring (rubber) of fuel injectors - changed
3- Catalytic converter - good
4- Lambda sensor- changed

I perceive the fumes already at the engine bay, from where they reach the cabin either via front windows down, or when air conditioner is turned on, even if the cabin air loop is closed.

So, I am reporting back to my original reckoning: it must have been the high voltage coil piece replaced, that is causing the fumes! There's nothing else possible... It must have some malfunction, or an open gap someplace ( in spite there are no high pitch noises from the exhaust pipes) that's letting the fumes scape directly from the combustion chamber...

I replaced the lambda sensor this week and risked a trip to a beach nearby and we suffered a lot with cabin being filled with CO2 fumes, specially when gas pedal is released and revs quickly lower, that's the worst scenario.

I appreciate any inputs from the Forum if that's even possible to have fumes leaking from the Citroen C5 2004 high voltage coil assembly, or any other inputs to help me follow this up.

Thanks much,
George
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Fumes in the cabin + Citroen C5 2004

Post by white exec »

So the fumes are exhaust, not fuel?
Just a long shot - check the tailgate is properly closed and its rubber seal is in place.
Chris
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It could be that the fumes are engine oil weeping from a camshaft cover and reaching the exhaust manifold which is hot enough to burn them (I don't know exactly which engine you have).
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd agree with the garage that replacing the coil pack is unlikely to be the cause. More likely a hose has bee disturbed and leaking exhaust if it isn't as Mike mentioned, oil dripping onto exhaust pipes.

I wonder if the PCV pipes have been damaged or dislodged.
C3Pre Own
My Cars: Citroen C3
Citroen Berlingo
Saab 9-3 convertible

Post by C3Pre Own »

I second the PCV system. Had an Audi a few years back that would sometimes get very faint fumes in the cabin. I eventually discovered a split PCV hose when I was doing work involving the head removal - I'd never have found it otherwise. Replaced that & never had fumes in the cab again. So it's definitley worth a look, especially if there are any hoses in the area that was worked on when fitting the coil.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Or leaks from the injectors - my first C5 had this,only slight but it could be heard and there was some exhaust under the bonnet, not enough to be detected inside the car though.
Mine are diesels though so the same may not apply.
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

Hi ,

I really apologize to all here for not getting back to this thread. I was expecting any posts would have appeared at my registered email, and it didn't happen. I received zero emails warning me of new posts. Maybe this is configurable at my account back-office.

I will take a look at each post and reply to each one...

Best,
George
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

white exec wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:33 So the fumes are exhaust, not fuel?
Just a long shot - check the tailgate is properly closed and its rubber seal is in place.

Hi Cris,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes it is fumes and not fuel smell... I investigated the exhaust system and the catalytic converter and all seems well in that area.
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

xantia_v6 wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 08:27 It could be that the fumes are engine oil weeping from a camshaft cover and reaching the exhaust manifold which is hot enough to burn them (I don't know exactly which engine you have).
The engine is petrol 2.0 with 4 cylinders 16 valve. Yes, this is a possibility and indeed there were some leaks from the engine , but a repair was executed , and the apparent leaks disappeared, but the fumes continued. There are apparently no ongoing leaks after this repair ... I am betting the fumes smell must have to do with a bad fuel mix or engine must be opned and repaired as t may be an internal problem. This is one part , and it was already happenning for a while ( the fumes), however the fumes smell inside the car via the air conditioner fan is something new.

I am thinking that maybe , the closing of the air stream loop at the air conditioner is not working or it is working with a gap .... hence the fumes now reach the internal cabin.
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

myglaren wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 08:47 I'd agree with the garage that replacing the coil pack is unlikely to be the cause. More likely a hose has bee disturbed and leaking exhaust if it isn't as Mike mentioned, oil dripping onto exhaust pipes.

I wonder if the PCV pipes have been damaged or dislodged.
Hi Steve, Yes it seems it is not the coil pack, but not the exhaust as well, I raised the car twice at those service elevators at a exhaust pipe shop and there's nothing wrong with the pipe and the catalytic converter. It may something where the fumes are collected by the exhaust... problem is that it is hard to check something like this without a lot of good will from the repair team.
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

C3Pre Own wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 22:32 I second the PCV system. Had an Audi a few years back that would sometimes get very faint fumes in the cabin. I eventually discovered a split PCV hose when I was doing work involving the head removal - I'd never have found it otherwise. Replaced that & never had fumes in the cab again. So it's definitley worth a look, especially if there are any hoses in the area that was worked on when fitting the coil.
I think this matches what could have happened when the team that replaced the coil pack looked around for leaks and sent me photos of some leaks that I already fixed in other shop . The may have bumped at the connection between exhaust pipes and the engine openings where the exhaust flows ... Thanks for the tip!
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

myglaren wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 22:42 Or leaks from the injectors - my first C5 had this,only slight but it could be heard and there was some exhaust under the bonnet, not enough to be detected inside the car though.
Mine are diesels though so the same may not apply.
I had read somewhere else about this possibility and already checked the o-rings of the fuel injectors . There was indeed one rubber o-ring damaged but the problem continued after I had the injectors verified.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

frenchbulldog wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 01:38 Hi ,

I really apologize to all here for not getting back to this thread. I was expecting any posts would have appeared at my registered email, and it didn't happen. I received zero emails warning me of new posts. Maybe this is configurable at my account back-office.

Best,
George
You need to go to your notifications settings at: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options and ensure that the disried options re ticked in the email column.
frenchbulldog

Post by frenchbulldog »

xantia_v6 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 05:59
frenchbulldog wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 01:38 Hi ,

Best,
George
You need to go to your notifications settings at: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options and ensure that the disried options re ticked in the email column.

Hi Xantia,

Thanks for the link ! I checked all options under email now ...

Best
George