Citroen C5 2007 H3+ problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walzca
My Cars: Citroen C5 Break 2007 HDI136
Citroen C5 CrossTourer 2014 HDI163

Citroen C5 2007 H3+ problem

Post by walzca »

Hello

I have an issue with my 2007 estate suspension. The suspension works as intended, except that the pump never stops running. In other words, it moves up and down and finds its specified heights. I suspect that it is a problem with the BHI brains, or the loom/connector to the BHI. The thin purple wire has a signal for the motor all the time, if everything is connected up. If I remove the big 40(?) pin connector from the BHI, the pump does not start (but the car throws a lot of different errors, or course. Serious suspension fault, brake fault etc.).

Does anyone have the pinout for the connector? Is the relay for the motor inside the BHI black box, or is there a separate relay in the vicinity? When activating the car (ie opening a door), a click can be heard. Hoping that it's a (somewhat) minor electrical issue, so that I can perhaps avoid completely replacing the BHI.

Thanks!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C5 2007 H3+ problem

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. While I cannot help you directly, I feel certain that somebody with far more experience of the Citroen suspension will be along soon to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi and welcome.
Post your VIN number of the car in question ( will be masked ) and some of our learned Admins will be able to give you specific info for your car.
As a quick reply you have H3+ so if memory serves me correct the sound of a click when a door is opened is normal
walzca

Post by walzca »

Thanks for the welcoming comments!
The VIN of the car in question is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Yep, happy about the clicking/switching, at least something is happening in the BHI =) Another thing that came to mind is that the pump does shut off (the signal on the purple wire to the motor goes down) when the car goes into economy mode! When the engine is running, the pump runs nonstop.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It sounds like bad news I'm afraid....

This is typical of a failed BHI me thinks. Normally it is the opposite, where the fuse is blown and the pump doesn't work - usually down to LDS getting in the motor and causing the bushed to gunk up and create overheating. In this case it it could be that there is a short keeping the pump working all the time or a fused realy which is integral to the unit - and of course that will very soon cause overheating and failure similarly.

I've heard of a few cases of this where the complete BHI needed replacing which cured the problem. There were no fault codes either (as you would expect, given there is no actual issue with the pump not working). Assuming the vehicle is lowering and raising ok, and the pump continuously runs - then you are on limited time before it overheats.

The complete unit is part number 5277E3 and is still available. It costs an eye watering £1.441.86 inc. VAT from Citroen which has nearly doubled in price to what they were 6 years ago - probably on account of diminishing stocks of these. So I'd start looking about second hand if I were you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
walzca

Post by walzca »

Thank you for the info. Yep, as you mentioned, no faults on the BHI with Lexia (there were some inconclusive errors pointing to the height sensors. Replaced the rear sensor, which changed nothing, but that was almost expected since moving up and down worked as intended). I was hoping for an external short or similar, as there was one (including error code) on the washer motor. That fixed itself with disconnecting and connecting a few times =).

Thanks for confirming the part number. I guess I'll be checking the wreckers, although I must say that you seem to be charged a lot more for the BHI in the UK. When the problem first showed up I took it to the authorized dealer, and they quoted be about 1500 € for the new unit, including labour. (Edit: I think that the service center might have tried to pull some wool over something or other. The price they quoted is the same as Servicebox shows, so even though the quote said Replacing HP pump, they probably just gave to pump price. )

Has anyone heard of replacing the relay on the BHI-logic board? I've heard rumours, but nothing I can confirm, that some independent mechanics solder in a replacement directly on the logic board. Could be worth a try, if I can find the correct component and a replacement part for it. This on the working notion that one can't really mess up since the unit needs replacement at the moment anyway, so if the board gets fried, nothing has changed as such =)

Thanks again!
Last edited by walzca on 06 Oct 2019, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problems - I've not heard of a board replacement to date - but I'm sure there have been some adventurous souls that leave no stone unturned! Good luck with finding one. That price was as of this evening - and they do fluctuate and get updated daily.

Marc
walzca

Post by walzca »

Does anyone know what the differences are between 5277E1 and 5277E3. The E1-model is off a 2006 saloon with 138HDI and AM6 gearbox. Just wondering if there is any chance of using that as a replacement =)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The differences are that:

5277 E3 is specifically for the DW10BTED4 engined Estate / Tourer
5277 E1 is specifically for the DW10BTED4 engined Saloon

You need the matching part.

Marc
walzca

Post by walzca »

Thanks Marc. I was afraid it was "that simple" =)