C8 headlamps auto-leveller

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

C8 headlamps auto-leveller

Post by fastandfurryous »

I've had a look online and searched on the forum for this issue, but can't find anything specific to the C8.

A friend is having issues with the self-levelling aspect of the headlamps. On start-up, the motors move the lamps as you can see the dipped-beam cut-off move on a wall, but while driving they then sit far far too low.

I know very little about how the system works on these. Is there a height sensor on the rear (and possibly front) axle to determine how to aim the lamps? If this (or any other) sensor fails, does the system default to "lowest possible setting".

The headlamps are dangerously "short" on the road, and with winter fast approaching, it would be very useful to fix it!

Many thanks.
This is not a signature.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C8 headlamps auto-leveller

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’m assuming here your friend has the xenon directional lighting from your post. That being the case, there is s self-check mechanism on the directional lighting at startup when the lights are switched on. The motors move the lights up and down a few times and then return to normal position.

The front and rear height correctors tell the directional lighting ECU the heights of the vehicle in order to adjust themselves.

If the beam is out of alignment (possible by accidentally turning the adjustment screws in the lights), then they will need checking and setting with a garage with a beam setter. ATS and other MOT places have this kit for MOt checks and should be able to do this for you.

Another reason can be if the discharge bulb has not been fitted correctly.
A further reason is if one of the height correctors is rusted or corroded. However, if this is the case and the ECU is getting erroneous data, it should disable directional function and return them to static lighting. If the fault is still there then it is likely to be one if the former issues.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc