Xantia Front ABS Sensor Bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scropionking
My Cars: Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel

Xantia Front ABS Sensor Bolts

Post by scropionking »

Hi,

Well it that time for MOT and checking the car it seems the Front ABS has started playing up yet again. Ordered new Sensor for passenger side, but the mounting sensor seems slimmer. Began to fit any way and bolt sheared off.
Does anyone know where I can get a new bolt from, I have thought of using a normal bolt which should be ok. But I thought you guys might have some kicking around. Xantia X1 1996.

Thanks

Kevin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia Front ABS Sensor Bolts

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Try contacting a forum member by the name of citroenxm. He has a lot of bits, and may well have the right type of bolt you require.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Thanks Hell Razer, but I don't how to do that.

Thanks

Kevin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Up at the top of the page is the option "Private messages". Click on that, and it will open up the messaging page. Click on the "New PM" button, and then (in the "Add recipients" box) type in citroenxm. Now click on the "Add" button, and you will see that citroenxm is a recipient. In the subject box I would type in something like "Xantia Front ABS bolt", and in the message box I would explain what you are after.

I don't know how quickly he will answer, as he may be doing other things, but I have found that he normally responds within a day or two.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Thanks Hell Razor,

All done, lets hope I hear something, lost MOT spot now, was booked in for Monday.

Thanks

Kevin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

When that happened to me, I drilled the screw out to it's nominal size (4mm??) Then replaced it with a screw with a nut underneath,. There is I think only just room for the nut.
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Yes it would seem thats the only way left. I had about 5mm sticking out so got the mole grips on it but it won't move, just stripping more metal off. My own silly fault didn't realize that the hole didn't go all the whole way through. And the ABS Sensor I purchased had a thinner mounting plate. The company insist its the correct one and I thought they should also supply a modified bolt or a spacer, just thought others should be aware of this. The bolt only seems to go in so far and comes to a stop. But after some research it looks like they've sent me a rear one, even though the gromets appear to be in all the correct places.
Attachments
REAR ABS Sensor.jpg
Front ABS Sensor.jpg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Note also that Mk 1 and MK2 front sensors have slightly different dimensions, and are almost but not quite interchangeable.
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

The bolts on mine are M6, 8.8 grade. Closer to that you can use Stainless Steel A4 grade, which is suitable for elevated temperatures. I think you must use also a thread locking compound.
Regarding the front sensors, I think there is a difference in the mounting base lenght between saloons and estates.
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Thanks for that Ksanturion10, and yeah probably could use normal heat resistant bolts. As yet I've had no hope of getting these bolts anywhere. Unless someone knows of a place where I can get them. And had no luck
getting the old one out yet. Seems it's stuck solid. Perhaps I will have to resort to some heat at the weekend and try again. Getting off track a bit here, the other odd thing I've noticed is when I jack the car up and then losen the jack to come down the car comes right down on the jack and I have to start the engine to remove it. Can't say I've noticed this before, so is this normal or is something drastically wrong here?

thanks

Kevin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Do you raise the car to full height before jacking it up?
It should lock in that position until you start the engine and select another height position on the selector.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

scropionking wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 13:55 And had no luck getting the old one out yet. Seems it's stuck solid. Perhaps I will have to resort to some heat at the weekend and try again.
thanks Kevin
Xantia V6's approach to the sheared off bolt will work.
xantia_v6 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 16:54 When that happened to me, I drilled the screw out to it's nominal size (4mm??) Then replaced it with a screw with a nut underneath,. There is I think only just room for the nut.
But, you also may have other options in your arsenal.

It may be possible to weld a nut to the stub of the bolt. The localised heat will also contribute to removal of the bolt.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
scropionking

Post by scropionking »

Hi Neil,

Yes I also think it will work, as a last resort. Just trying not to create more work for myself. And to steve I wasn't aware it locked on full height. But no I didn't raise it to full height, should it always be raised to full height when working on any part of the car. I have heard of these sinking though, so I never take chances and always use axle stands.

Thanks

Kevin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You should definitely secure it with axle stands and never rely on the suspension or a jack to keep it up.
I was remiss in presuming that everyone would do this as a matter of course.
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

scropionking wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:59 should it always be raised to full height when working on any part of the car.
When you remove a wheel for example - it should be always with the corrector at full height. Mine has anti-sink sphere and still have to be at full height with the corrector at max lock. You should not drive the car at this setting!

Many people gave already nice suggestions about the removal of the snapped bolt, but still you can do also the following (I think there is a topic discussing this already):
1. If there is a stud hanging out, this would mean severe corrosion or severe corrosion + glued thread and this is where heating would help in both cases. Becareful, when you weld on the car, because you can make bigger troubles after that;
2. If this doesn't help, cut the stud to where it is possible and:
2.1. Make a center with a center punch, then find an extractor screw (those that screw-in, when you turn them CCW) for not more than 3 or 4 mm hole. The bolted residue should be M6 with 5 mm minor diameter. Try to drill concentrically :roll:. Before using the extractor screw try some spray for releasing corroded parts. There are many, important is to wait some 10-15 min for it to have an effect.;
2.2. If still no joy, I would drill with 5 mm and peel off the remaining thread with small sharp flat screwdrive.;
3. If the above is not possible, next would be to drill a 6-6,5 mm through hole and use bolt + securing nut (there are some with copper coating for high temps).;
4. And finally, you could drill with 7 mm (not sure) and tap it with M8x1, and use thread repair coil for M6 (think the M6 thread has 1 mm normal step, but you have to check the stepping of the bolts you will use first and then go from there). In a thru hole, the coil should be glued, probably.
Unfortunately, this is how it is - machine building ;)

BR
Martin
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P