Abs unit ATI MK60 pump pistons corrosion issue!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Abs unit ATI MK60 pump pistons corrosion issue!

Post by Axa »

This I the pump in our Renault Espace. But I believe both Citroen and Renault cars are equipped with the same ATE MK60 unit? So asking here instead since unfortunately not so much activity in the Renault section's here..

I had the fault code for the pump motor sircut. Disassembling I found allot of rust inside from the drive bearing outer ring on the driveshaft. Cleaning off all rust and greasing the bearing the motor runs fine and and ABS works fine. But no TCS or ESP since they need the pump for working. (A bit funny this unit is sometimes called ABS pump when the pump is not needed for the ABS to function)

Scary thing is that both code, faulty ESP message AND warning symbolar are gone even ESP is not working. And the reason for this is the pump pistons are stuck inside the aluminium block due to corrosion.

Is this something that will be reconditioned if sending the unit to repair. Or will the block be replaced?

I have a few months before it will be stupid to use the car with non functional ESP and TCS when winter is coming. So far I have not decided if I should try to find a good looking non rusted second hand unit, or go for a new alu block and motor.

Since only the pump pistons seemes to be the issue, I'm leaning toward a second hand unit since that will give me a spare controller. And a motor I know the condition of as a spare part.

Am I correct in that PSA cars use the same ATE MK60 unit and that it will work without need for reprogramming?
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Abs unit ATI MK60 pump pistons corrosion issue!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although the system models may be the same type, it is the software and programming that will be different. So don't mix these up as they may have incompatible programming when used with another vehicle. These systems interact with the BSI and engine ECU units, so it is not really sensible.

Either replace the whole unit with the same Renault part number, or replace the block and retain your ECU. With PSA cars, if the ABS / ESP ECU is changed it must be programmed to the vehicle to have the correct options set. If you just replace the block and retain the original ECU then no programming is needed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Post by Axa »

Thanks Marc for clearing that up! 🙂
The problem is I have no clue what part number my ABS unit got. I just posted a new thread about that on case you can help out.. 🤞🙃
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Alas no :( As you'll see from my response on your other post unfortunately....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc