Concerned please help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Picasso Pain
Posts: 11
Joined: 14 Aug 2019, 18:29
x 1

Concerned please help!

Post by Picasso Pain » 18 Aug 2019, 08:24

1.6 HDI Xzara Picasso
Apparently some time ago the end of the oil dipstick broke off inside the sump!! The technician had said it was ok “probably came out in the oil change”...!!??🙈🙈

Please advise if it is in there still can it be sucked up into the engine or will the filter on the oil uptake stop that happening?

Are there any parts at risk within the sump area it will have fallen into?

Obviously Ill be dropping the sump to check it out/hopefully find it but concerned whether the car can be driven to my house like this?

Also any ideas about a better quality dipstick?

Thanks all

User avatar
Huskyxantia
donor 2019
Posts: 130
Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 22:11
x 10

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by Huskyxantia » 18 Aug 2019, 09:13

How much left in ?
A pal of mine took his sump off and found the last inch or two that snapped off, I'd go to the main dealer and see if they made a newer type as well.
.good luck .

P.s.

Try a breakers as well, also worth checking how hot your engine gets hot engine weak metal , even though rare ,
When this happen to a mate of mine several years ago I thought he was joking till I saw him removing the sump, don't forget to drain The oil first.

User avatar
white exec
Moderating Team
Posts: 4462
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 13:46
x 577

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by white exec » 18 Aug 2019, 10:02

Is the dipstick metal or plastic?

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 15841
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1471

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by GiveMeABreak » 18 Aug 2019, 10:05

It will be fine ignore it, the dealers do, this can be a common experience on some engines, but it will be trapped by the filter so can’t get into the engine.

There were so many of these happening that the dealers stopped bothering to fish them out. It may or may not come out at the next oil change

User avatar
Huskyxantia
donor 2019
Posts: 130
Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 22:11
x 10

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by Huskyxantia » 19 Aug 2019, 09:13

white exec wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 10:02
Is the dipstick metal or plastic?
My friends was a hard yellow plastic.

Silly design if you think
Even the refined hdi has a vibration.
I hope he gets it sorted

User avatar
Huskyxantia
donor 2019
Posts: 130
Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 22:11
x 10

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by Huskyxantia » 19 Aug 2019, 09:14

Picasso Pain wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:24
1.6 HDI Xzara Picasso
Apparently some time ago the end of the oil dipstick broke off inside the sump!! The technician had said it was ok “probably came out in the oil change”...!!??🙈🙈

Please advise if it is in there still can it be sucked up into the engine or will the filter on the oil uptake stop that happening?

Are there any parts at risk within the sump area it will have fallen into?

Obviously Ill be dropping the sump to check it out/hopefully find it but concerned whether the car can be driven to my house like this?

Also any ideas about a better quality dipstick?

Thanks all
Best of luck keep us posted

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 15841
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1471

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by GiveMeABreak » 19 Aug 2019, 11:22

Picasso Pain wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:24
Also any ideas about a better quality dipstick?

Thanks all
Pop your VIN up and I'll give you the replacement part for the dipstick - the year of your Xsara Picasso in your profile signature to the left is invalid - I think you mean 2002 not '92' as they weren't made then.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 8802
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 302

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by RichardW » 19 Aug 2019, 11:51

The original 1.6 HDi dipsticks were hard plastic yellow, and these were prone to snapping. I suspect because they want to twist when put in / out, but most people probably just forced them up/ down. My 307 was still on its original at 140k as I carefully let it turn as pulled in/out. The later version was metal with a plastic measuring end, and much less prone to twisting and snapping.

User avatar
white exec
Moderating Team
Posts: 4462
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 13:46
x 577

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by white exec » 19 Aug 2019, 13:17

PSA made some serious boobs with dipsticks, including some metal ones (eg for XM) - fine, except for the yellow plastic knob/handle, which was made of something akin to Edam cheese...
OE XM dipstick handle.jpg
OE XM dipstick handle.jpg (1.98 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Picasso Pain
Posts: 11
Joined: 14 Aug 2019, 18:29
x 1

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by Picasso Pain » 19 Aug 2019, 21:01

Thanks for all the replies guys!

It is a thin white fibreglass (gets splinters in my fingers from it too).. with a plastic end bit to read oil level...

I cut the entire rest if dipstick shaft off for now...

Thanks GMABreak ..Please do advise a good replacement dipstick thanks my VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

User avatar
Huskyxantia
donor 2019
Posts: 130
Joined: 30 Jul 2018, 22:11
x 10

Re: Concerned please help!

Post by Huskyxantia » 19 Aug 2019, 21:23

white exec wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 13:17
PSA made some serious boobs with dipsticks, including some metal ones (eg for XM) - fine, except for the yellow plastic knob/handle, which was made of something akin to Edam cheese...

Image
I think my old samba had a very weird dipstick ... Many moons ago