Does anyone run a C5 X7 diesel estate?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Does anyone run a C5 X7 diesel estate?

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Marc, I wasn't sure that's what it was. Thanks for the link too.

Peter
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: C5 Tourer Exclusive 2009, 2.0 HDi
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994
TVR Chimera V8, Tornado cam, Semi race

Post by AJM C5 »

Hi Peter,

I bought an X7 2009 142k (miles) in May, its the Tourer 2.0 HDi Exclusive.

On pick up I drove it 550 miles, knowing that there was `some kind of issue with the rear suspension`. But I bought it in the UK, and for the same car, its three times the cost here, so.

I knew it needed a cam belt change as there was no service history to say that it had been done, other history yes, but not on that crucial bit. So I did it along with all the other associated necessaries.

Before tackling that, the rear suspension went into 'Sitting on its haunches` mode, which means that it is undriveable.

But with enormous help from this Forum, mentioning no names ..GIVE ME A BREAK… and a couple of others, I got my way through that, solved the problems (see X7 Suspension Fun) and the one on the cam if you need it I can look it up - mine is manual GB.

There was a lot of cursing because I couldn`t undo the regulator solenoid - took me two days - and to be honest, a touch of regret that I'd bought it as it was primarily a vehicle I needed for usage, and it was holding me up. However, I built a pit to do the regulator/solenoid on the suspension (converted an old coal chute), no other way of doing it yourself really - but don`t let that issue put you off. I changed the Height Corrector too for good measure, and upon reflection, it was needed despite sucking and seeing the different bracket positions.

The regrets all disappeared when it started working properly again, and has done now for over a week since the fixes. I had to get Lexia DiagBox to help diagnose, and really is a must for the DIY mechanic on these, but as was explained to me, these ain`t no simple cars, and if you get one, be prepared - or at least prepared to take faults on, these are expensive cars, and after 10 years if things haven`t been done, well they`ll need to be, again though, don`t let that put you off, unless you are not into DIY mechanics at all or don`t have the time. Citroen parts are not cheap, the rear regulator was quoted to me at £595, but with help here I serviced it and the suspension now is just the best I could imagine, seriously - It is so smooth it is like floating on a calm lake, beautiful. The engine is excellent, clean and the most economical I`ve ever driven by x2 at least, as appears the rest. So from cursing it I now can`t believe how good it is, and driving today after picking up house DIY stuff I was looking for faults (because I'm that kind of guy) but can`t fault it. Its superb. I logged in here today to say as much but found your question, so posted here instead.

There are no problems with tailgate struts, engine, GB, wheels/bearings or anywhere, I know the steering rack has been changed - all works as it should. And I'm very picky - always looking for issues in cars, have plenty of experience with other favourite cars, but couldn`t now put any of them above this one. A totally different driving experience, and if you get the right interior, its sheer luxury for sixpence.

Hope this helps.

Kind Rgds

AJ
Last edited by AJM C5 on 09 Aug 2019, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi AJ

Thank you for that confidence inspiring report :wink: I have just been to Exeter and tried out an 08 metal sprung version in a lovely metallic dark red, I had no real intention of bidding on it, just wanted to drive and find out what they are like, well, my ghast was flabbered it gave the smoothest ride of any car I have ridden in for as long as I can remember, knocks spots off my Merc for ride quality.

The only thing I noticed is that the steering is very light, fells like daravi when its no working - unless of course its just that its so heavy on the Merc.

Do you know the symptoms of a dying steering rack?

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The only symptoms you'll get regarding the rack Peter is when you start getting the LDS fluid leak under the rack!

Thankfully, (if that's the right word to use), these tend to start of as slow leaks - but need to be addressed ASAP before the system gets contaminated. Best way to go is a refurb rack (generally a quarter of the price of a new one from Citroen) that have been treated and coated, then do the gaiter mod (a CV boot put over the pinion and lots of marine grade grease) to protect it for future.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Peter i have only driven 2 C5 X7 a 1.6 2008 HDI and a 2010 2.0 HDi which i think is the upgraded BHP version, both saloons and both on springs.
Mike T now has the 1.6 which i hope is still going strong, not heard of any issues since it was sorted.
The 2.0 is a much better engine, lots of grunt and knocks spots of the BMW my son had before he bought the C5.
As for the steering, it is normal, when you first drive it compared to other cars it seems as if there is no driver feedback but it is very light and soon becomes normal, it will go where you point it i promise :)
Only real issue i had was i did not keep up with regular filter changes etc as it never let me down, not once did i have a call from the wife to say its broken down in 8 years of ownership.
And if you get a Tourer i will keep an eye on your experiences as i will be in the market for one in about 6 months, think the C4 will be going, keeping the Xantia :)

Colin
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for all your help, at least a metal sprung one will be less complicated.

I am feverishly gaining as much information as I can tonight to determine whether or not I bid on it tomorrow. As I said, I didn't have any intention of doing so but having driven it has taken me back 50 years to a time when people didn't want to corner at 60 mph and cars gave a comfortable ride. I really like it and would probably buy it for the ride alone.

I will keep you posted

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I've heard great things about the metal sprung versions - and you are right in that it will be less expensive having less hydraulics to worry about and certainly an option if you are not fussed about the self levelling aspect.

The steering on most X7 models apart from the 2.7, 3.0 and one of the 1.6 variants is electrically operated - the others have one of 3 coupled pumps. The electrically operated steering has the benefit of increasing resistance as speed increases (a bit like Diravi, but without the self-centring), but can also be operated with engine failure as long as you have ignition plus.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Peter it will corner at 60 mph if you really want it to, but it was aimed at being a competitor for the BMW, even down to the 3x indicator signal when pressed once, it actually does what it was designed for, you get a lot of car for your bucks :)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've had one front spring go on my metal sprung one - no drama to fix. Front drop-links can go (as can rears, but rarer), tell-tale clunk from front when going over bumps. Check both air-con dials wind the temp up and down (if it's dual zone), I've had to replace my air-con control on the centre console as one of the dials stopped working reliably - easy fix if you can get a good reliable second hand unit (circa £50).
If you get one, step one is to go into preventative maintenance and put some grease or similar on the steering pinion shaft - less than 30 minute job but you do need to be a little bit of a contortionist :wink: There's the usual clutch slip to be expected - give it some welly in fifth and sixth gear from about 2k revs. I think the clutch slip is caused by the clutch auto-adjusting mechanism being a little slow to auto-adjust :roll: Mine's been slipping on and off for about 2 years and 20k miles, it soon sorts itself out :) Of course, if you're looking at an automatic then I'd suggest giving it a fluid change if there's no history of one being done.
If you're concerned about the steering rack leak, then keep an eye on the Fluide DA / LDS level in the small power steering pump reservoir located on the front left hand side of the engine bay as you stand looking at the engine. It'll either be the fact that the level drops, or that you have a small puddle on the ground behind and inboard of the front right wheel that gives the game away. It's also possible to see if it's actually leaking by shining a torch through the roadwheel in the direction of the pinion shaft - wetness in that area is a bad sign :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

2010 C5 Exclusive Tourer (163hp) auto here.
I bought it at 60,000ish miles about three and a half years ago. It's now on 93,000 miles and is the most comfortable and reliable car I've ever ran.
Personally I love the hydraulic suspension and the auto box suits the car perfectly.
(The auto in the X7 is a Japanese made item and is apparently a big improvement on the earlier autos for reliability)
I can't think of anything I'd replace my C5 with so I'll just keep on over maintaining it and keep it for another 100,000 miles or so.
Ceenine
Donor 2023
My Cars: DS4 Crossback 2.0l
C5 X7 HDI Exclusive 2.2l sedan
C4 1.6l HDI EGS
Peugeot 405 Mi16

Post by Ceenine »

Is the steering rack problem an early X7 malaise only or hasn’t it been been fixed on later cars.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

All ages it would seem - as those of us (including myself) with earlier X7s have even had the later 'modified' Citroen genuine rack and this failed with 2 years! We've had others with later models do the same and the rack is the same part number - so either a batch of those made out of the that dodgy Japanese steel (in the news a few years ago) or a design flaw.

Oh, to be in the USA sometimes would be a blessing - class action suits and the like - they wouldn't get away with it over there...

Marc
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

I came straight from a CX Safari to a C5 x7 Tourer with Hydropnumatics. I've got the 160bhp Exclusive (which is so unexclusive it doesn't even have satnav!). I bought it at around 110k and now it has 130k on it and it's still going well.

Comfortwise it's almost as good as the CX, and if you factor in the quiet (it's quiet) then it's more comfortable.

As a car, the C5x7 is easy to like, hard to love, especially in comparison to the CX, which just did everything so uniquely. The C5 isn't as clever, it's not as fun, it's not as big, and it's almost totally anonymous. The steering in particular is a massive step backwards...

BUT, it's just much much easier to live with.

I think actually - the best ever Citroen for the balance of citroenyness vs ease of ownership was the BX - it just hit the sweet spot on almost everything, but the C5 x7 with hydropnumatics comes as close as anything you can realistically run as a daily driver today.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks. I am mainly concerned with ride comfort but a little concerned about my unfamiliarity with the car, power train is OK its the rest of it that bothers me.

Anyway, I am still doing research and and only have a couple of hours to put a bid in so its a bit tense here at the moment. :? :o

Peter
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

It has been more than a couple of hours, pleased with it or did it get away from you :)