Clutch squealing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Aideen2005
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2006 1.6

Clutch squealing

Post by Aideen2005 »

Ok please be kind here. Having a disastrous day as it is.
We recently bought a 1.6 C5 2006 diesel

It needed new brake pads on front and back. When we done the back the calipers were seized ( dont think pads were ever changed).
Anyway after snapped bolt and lots of leakage my husband managed to unsieze calipers, replace bolts, apply new pads and new brake pipes. All great. Topped up the fluid bled the brakes and all was perfect. This was done yesterday.
Today driving a mile or so from home in heavy traffic clutch smell. Home and I went to drive and the clutch is squeeling like mad but the gears are very smooth. The peddle was sticking a bit too.

Now before I give up the will to carry on (I broke my own mondeo on Satursday by letting it run out of fuel and destroyed fuel pump)
Could this simply be that the clutch fluid needs topped up. (Does the brake and clutch fluid use the same resovoir). I'm far from a mechanic simply the wife of a man who's been unlucky to have had so many cars with so many problems over the last 20 years who he insists assists with repairs.

Any advice really appreciated before I resort to never driving again and using only public transport.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Clutch squealing

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

Yes the brake and clutch system share the same reservoir and it is important the fluid is kept topped up whilst bleeding.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc