Netbook for diagnostics

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Netbook for diagnostics

Post by moizeau »

They'll do it. I had a single core, 1.5 gb ram running it before I stole my current one when my daughter upgraded. It's just very slow. The second hand prices of old laptops mean you can pick up something that was top end in 2009 and cost nearly a grand for next to nothing. It will still be as good as the very cheap new ones, just more power hungry.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Each are different and the max capacity will vary by manufacturer and model. Some memory modules must be matched in pairs of the same capacity, again depending on motherboard.

Because older laptops with 32 bit operating systems such as XP or Windows 7 can only address the first 3072 Gb ish of installed memory, they generally only supplied these with the 2Gb installed to keep costs down, unless a greater amount was specified on order.

My Lenovo Thinkpad had 2 Gb when I bought it for my diagnostics, but I simply bought 2 x 2 Gb Memory chips and Bob’s your uncle. Memory for these older systems is dirt cheap nowadays.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Post by dave_xsara »

• When scanning using a Lexia, does it provide any detailed information as to what the codes are related to - or is there a data file provided which breaks down the meaning of the codes? (I'm not expecting diagnosis of what to repair/replace - just textual description of the code ID)
  • Should Windows Updates be turned off on the host laptop?
  • Should wifi be disabled in order to prevent Lexia updating (or can that be disabled as a menu option within the application?
Is there any guidance advice beyond the posts relating to how to avoid bricking the ECU and the diagnostic code identifiers.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The codes, when you click on them in turn, do give a bit more information. How meaningful that is does depend on your mechanical knowledge (and mine isn't that great!).

I always make sure Windows is fully updated before using the Lexia side of things. Then, when I am about to use it for the Lexia I turn off the wifi. (I also make sure the computer battery has a full charge before using it on the car).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

dave_xsara wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 15:07
  • When scanning using a Lexia, does it provide any detailed information as to what the codes are related to - or is there a data file provided which breaks down the meaning of the codes? (I'm not expecting diagnosis of what to repair/replace - just textual description of the code ID)
  • Should Windows Updates be turned off on the host laptop?
  • Should wifi be disabled in order to prevent Lexia updating (or can that be disabled as a menu option within the application?
Is there any guidance advice beyond the posts relating to how to avoid bricking the ECU and the diagnostic code identifiers.
To answer your questions in order:

First, be aware that the detail level of information you will receive is dependent upon the vehicle being diagnosed, its age and electronic architecture and of course the type of ECU and software level as to what you will get back. Obviously, the more modern vehicles have more advanced ECUs and more sensors so can therefore provide more detailed data.
  1. You will get a code and a descriptor for the code - selecting the fault will often give you some idea as to what is wrong with it or the conditions for it being flagged up - i.e. the expected readings or voltage are not within the reference values. Or it could be as basic as saying there is a short or open circuit - which could mean intermittent or non return of data for example.
  2. If you have a dedicated diagnostic laptop - get it fully updated before launching Diagbox / Lexia or going into a diagnostic session. You really shouldn't be using it for anything else, so you can really dispense with antivirus checkers and further windows updates. I do advise disabling windows updates if this is your scenario, as Windows Update is memory intensive and really does affect performance of Diagbox. You do not want the wretched thing active during a diagbox session, so set windows updates to never check for updates, then open the Windows Update service and set it to disabled, so that the service never launches. Obviously get the laptop updated fully updated (and ideally before installing Diagbox) first, then disable it.
  3. Your network adapter card must be enabled (some laptops have a switch that toggles all the wireless and radios off) prior to Diagbox installation. But that does not mean you must have an active internet connection (where you have provided a password to connect to your router or have the network cable plugged in). If you have already got an internet connection for updating the Windows system initially etc., disconnect from that connection and make sure you do not allow it to reconnect automatically. Diagbox needs an internet card active for installing but not an actual connection to the Internet.
  4. See above. There is no function within Diagbox to disable the internet connection - as I said do this before launching Diagbox. It is fine to have the network / WiFi card switched on - but there should be NO live / active internet connection to your router. Some options withing Diabbox will contact PSA servers automatically and if you have a connected internet connection - and it connects up to the PSA servers, it can disable your installation, necessitating you to recopy your licence file over or at worse a de-install and reinstallation pf the software and in some cases may deactivate your VCI.
As for your last point - yes, read the guidance I have already put up here. A few minutes spent reading this can save you a lot of heartache, as I've already had to deal with some members who ended up with a non-functioning vehicle as a result of 'experimenting'.

Lexia / PP2000 / Diagbox Warning
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc