DS5 intermittent working satnav/radio

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

lime
My Cars: 2013 DS5 1.6THP

Re: DS5 intermittent working satnav/radio

Post by lime »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 09:55 Eli

These faults are purely related to a major firmware update. All major firmware updates can default some of the Head Unit ECUs parameters to default values. You need to have the correct parameters configured as per the exact options your vehicle has. This can be done with Diagbox. However, your firmware is still out of date for the RT6 - there is version 2.86 available - but this will also need a Bluetooth calibration update applied that the dealer can do, otherwise you will get a Bluetooth echo.

If you don't have access to a Diagbox diagnostic tool, it may be worth you getting the dealer to do the latest update for you and they can also apply the calibration file from the PSA servers as this is not available as a separate offline update.
I spoke to my nearest dealer today, it's a smaller centre and he didn't sound like he knew much about it but he said he could probably figure it out by talking with Citroen and the national technical assistance manager. My concern now is that I will end up paying for him to learn the process and slowly complete the job. As far as that goes I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to install the 2.86 firmware + maps myself. That would save at least 1/2 hour of billing and might make the process easier for the dealer. Do you think that would be wise? How much should I expect all of this to cost at the dealer? I'm concerned it could blow out very quickly. I don't have a diagbox, but would consider buying one of the cheaper clones depending on how this pans out. I'm not familiar with PSA's software and process, this is my first PSA vehicle, I'm used to BMWs and inpa lol.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So the firmware update itself is relatively easy to do - but can be frought with issues if A) the media USB is corrupt or there are other issues with the RT6 beforehand that cause the update to go wrong. Citroen can order the update CD for you and you could try and update it from this media.

Secondly, the engine must be running and left for the update to complete - but I can almost guarantee that with update 2.86 you will have issues with the same equipment not working properly until the configuration options are corrected. But you still cannot correct the Bluetooth issue with Diagbox. This needs a calibration file applying that is only available via PSA servers after application of the 2.86 firmware update.

I would also advise strongly against using any MAC or IOS based system to copy files or format any media as this is KNOWN to cause problems with updates. If you wish to remove the windows System Volume Information files, just take ownership of the files and then you can delete them before removing the USB media.
A dealer will charge about £90 per hour labour - so if it is just downloading the configuration for the Head Unit ECU to correct all the options - they will hook up, run a Global diagnostic and then go into the RT6 ECU and download the file - then will need to manually check the options are correct - so at least half an hour, but depends on how long the process takes and the competence of the individual doing it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
lime

Post by lime »

Thanks for the info Marc, I updated the firmware to 2.86b today and installed the latest maps. Hopefully that will make the job simpler and less time consuming for the dealer. At £90 per hour I don't want them mucking around with things I can do myself :shock: I wonder if it might be a good idea to put together a full step by step walkthrough on how to replace the sd card and sort out the firmware for the future as I imagine this problem will happen more and more as these units and sd cards age?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 31 Oct 2019, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote (previous post)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I already did a guide on the SD card - it’s a sticky post on the eMyWay / RT6 Section:

viewtopic.php?t=63227

Firmware updates are pretty straightforward assuming you have proper media and here are no other internal problems that prevent the update.

Marc
lime

Post by lime »

That guide was definitely helpful but I think there is more info that could be added (although I imagine different for various models). For example right off the bat the first thing is to remove the negative terminal, I don't know about other models but it wasn't straight forward for my DS5 and required quite a few steps disassembling the battery covers and wiring etc and there is very little info around on how to do that. Then there's the fascia removal which wasn't too hard but there is the odd thing that would have been nice to know such as where to release the fascia clips, how to release the shifter lock so it can be moved, a couple of the wiring clips were in difficult positions too. I also think it would be a good idea to include usb firmware update instructions as that is how most people will do it and judging by other forums far more reliable than cd. Maybe also have a trusted source of firmware files? What do you think? I'd be happy to put something together, and I took a few photos of various things along the way.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the only thing it that the DS5 has an integrated RT6 attached to the fascia, whereas most other models have a simple key release head unit extracted forward, so there's no faffing with all that trim. I don't have the time to do a model by model guide as each has a slightly different trim fitting - so just focus on the issue. By all means if you feel a DS5 guide for removing the RT6 would be useful, please do post some pics up.

We can't put links to software files here as we can't vouch for the integrity of any of these. I recommend ordering a firmware update CD form the dealer which is only a couple of quid Euros. It's the safest way of ensuring the files are error free.

Marc
Etienne5067
My Cars: Citroen DS5

Post by Etienne5067 »

I have the same problem
The satnav/radio fails to start frequently. Often it will start after being left all night then when the engine is switched off from the 1st journey it won't start again.
The screen stays black and I can hear a whirring sound for 2 seconds and then repeated every 5 or 6 seconds even after the engine is switched off and the car locked.
The noise is reminiscent of something trying to engage but as it's all electrical I can't see what. I disconnected then reconnected battery hoping I might get a reboot but nothing happened. I have also reset the CPU

Any ideas guys. Also I wonder if this unit could be upgraded to the new Android system. If so is this just something a software installation would do?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No. not possible. The RT6 is a Magneti Marelli unit with a specific operating system for PSA cars. They cannot be modified.

Have you got a CD stuck in the unit that it is trying to read?

Marc
blueneil

Post by blueneil »

I was having same problems and Citroen UK have been so crap in liasons with me i found a solution by getting the radio sat nav unit refurbished at a fraction of new replacement or sending to clarion at a cost of £495 to repair it..

this is an address with a GUY WHO REPAIRS MAGNETTI MORELLO SAT NAV UNITS

IVE SENT MINE TO BE REPAIRED AT $300 including software updated+ return postage PLUS its cost me through DPD £20.65 to post it there including insurance protection
i hope this helps many DS5 owners with same problems as i was having with little or no help from CITROEN UK
Last edited by blueneil on 24 Feb 2020, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
Etienne5067

Post by Etienne5067 »

DS5 1st model 2ltr hybrid, The satnav/radio fails to start frequently. Often it will start first time in the day after which it won't start again.
The screen stays black and I can hear a whirring sound. the problem came after a very hot summer and I am not sure how I can sort this out. anyone could guide me, please?
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

This is exactly what mine was doing.
Start at the front of this topic and you'll see all the ways to try to get this to work. Failure to getting it sorted will inevitably mean pulling out for a recon unit. Mine was bought online from a Polish company and it arrived completely set up and a 12 month warranty. Latest post also gives details on getting it repaired. There's no easy way. As I found out, the unit has an analogue drive that is prone to overheating and the chances of recovering from that with any sort of firmware update is virtually nil. Just a damned pity that you can't swap it for a new digital unit with access to digital radio and quick boot-up time of satnav etc.
Etienne5067

Post by Etienne5067 »

Is there a solution for this problem? Are there shops that could do the repair?
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

None in the UK unless one has popped up very recently. A Polish company is selling reconditioned ones as stated elsewhere in the topic. That's the way i went. It's working well and carries a 12 month warranty as well.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Apart from trying the internal SD card replacement, there's not a lot you can do yourself.

Marc
Clogmaster
My Cars: Ds5 hybrid 2012

Post by Clogmaster »

I had the same problem as described above. The issue is with the hardware, flash memory chips etc going bad. Italian radio in a French car. Recipe for disaster.

I found a guy in France who fixed mine. Very good. You send him the rt6 unit, you can remove it yourself from the car with a hex key and common sense, and keep driving it during the repair.

I sent it by post from Malta, he kept me updated via WhatsApp. When it came back I installed it and it worked. Also had the software updated.

One issue, you have to parlez Francais a bit as his Anglais is non existant.

So, rather than messing about with updates on a half-dead system and possibly make things worse send it in to him. Save yourself the trouble.

He also fixes dead screen, boot lock, loss of satellite signal etc.

If you need more information let me know.