lexia 3

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian M france
My Cars: dispatch 2007 scudo 2005 discovery td5 freelander

lexia 3

Post by Ian M france »

Hi all I have been looking at getting a Lexia 3 I have just finished changing the engine in my Dispatch van 2.0 hdi and it will not start, my fault code reader is not helping so think I need something better, I am not that good with computers so will have to get some help to get it to work,
There are many different prices, I need one that works on diesels, I have found one on Ebay for 114 pounds that claims to be the best but when you read the listing it seams to be badly worded and exactly the same as the cheaper ones, has anyone bought one at a good price which works on diesels and is in the EU so will not take 3 weeks to arrive any help would be great
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: lexia 3

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is a member recommended supplier here, which I have bought mine from, with a discount for members. There are of course other suppliers with units of varying capability and quality.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60765

Incidentally, I've assumed you are using a matched BSI, Key transponder and engine ECU?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

hi Marc
thanks I will look at that, I am using the original BSI and ecu and key that where on the Van I have fitted the old injectors so did not have to reprogram ECU, was a bit of a pain as was the same engine code according to seller but had to change the sump as the new did not have a hole in the right place for the exhaust bracket and the turbo as the fixing for the outlet where not the same
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

I have ordered one, tried to buy from Easydiagnostics but where out of stock on there site, I have been checking out all the connections and other bits to make sure all is correct, I have found 2 things, the EGR used make a small buzzing noise when the ignition was on and would carry on for about 20 seconds after the ignition was turned off, it now buzzes for about 15 sec then stops for 15 sec then restarts and again stops, now goes off when ignition goes off straight away, (EGR is blanked off I had a problem with the one in the old engine and thought I would leave it blanked off to start with then maybe take plate out when all is running okay) also the glow plug relay keeps coming at random for about a second, about every 75 seconds even if ignition is off, the battery was off for about 3 months, could the BSI not be talking to the ECU ?
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Hi all I got the Lexia took some help to get going but all works well. Now all I have to do is fix the van it has become a long term project!
Now any help or ideas to get to the bottom of my problem would be great, BSI talking to ECU and says ECU not locked so think that is not the problem, and all work okay before changing engine, I fitted a new timing belt on engine and all timing marks lined up, When I turned the engine over the lexia says that the cam and crank shaft are in syncro I expected to have low fuel pressure but it reads about 370 bar when cranking, so what does that leave, I have nothing it is not trying to start no smoke from exhaust I do not think the injectors are being fired but why? also I have something draining the battery I have no faults showing that will stop it starting, faults shown are 1 is glow plug relay which I am going to change, I have already fitted new glow plugs and other fault is EGR which is blocked off any ideas?
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Another update, took one of the injector leads off, put my meter on it, it have a peak volt setting and I am getting, no volts at the injector, I check the earthing of the white wire on the injector and all is connected to earth, so for some reason the ECU is not sending a signal to the injector to fire, I checked and rechecked all the connections and fuses and all good, I double checked the ECU is unlocked,the cam and crank are in sink when turned over, I tried with a different key, I then took electronics out of a key to see what happened if the key was no good and there was a warning triangle to tell you, with the key normal there is no warning triangle so think the is not a problem with key, voltage is dropping off as I try to start it, it drops to about 9 Volts but van turns over quiet quickly I am charging battery and will try when fully charged, the battery is brand new as other was a bit tired and thought it may be problem, could it be a problem with ECU the lexia says there are no faults with it, can I send it somewhere to be checked ? is there any other thing that will tell the ECU not to fire injectors? any ideas
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The only thing that comes to mind is the immobiliser. If the engine ECU is not authorising the start it will just keep turning over without starting.

Check to see what is happening when starting using your Lexia.

Try some tests on the injection ECU to see what is happening.

Marc
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Hi Marc
The lexia says the that the ECU is unlocked so should start, not sure the exact amount of fuel pressure I need to make it fire but think it is 300 bar and I have 370 the cam and crank are in sink today I used a bit of brake cleaner and it ran for a bit maybe 10 seconds, but think it just used the spray I am sure the injectors are not firing, starting to think I might try and find a company that will check and repair if needed the ECU
only other problem I can find is when I try to start it the volts at the battery drop,(to about 9.5V) I have a brand new battery I seam to have some kind of drain on the battery,if the battery is left connected it loses charge over night, will a drop in volts stop the ECU firing injectors?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

And if the battery is not connected to the car is it OK the next morning? A new battery doesn't guarantee a good one. Just something to check. If it is good, I'd suggest pulling fuses to try and pinpoint the problem area. Something is pulling it's juice. Do the simple things that are in front of you before going headlong into ECU repairs and the like.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ian, have a squiz at my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62530&hilit=drain+parasitic#p607777

There's a video in there about locating a parasitic drain and how to test for it. Your battery at rest on the car should be 12V or just over, and anything from 14.3 to 17.7 ish with the engine running. That will confirm it is at least charging. If you've done (or had done) any maintenance recently, it might be worth going over all the connections to any ECUs to make sure they have not been dislodged.

Marc
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Thanks Pete good advice
the battery does hold a charge when not connected, so think it is okay, I have been working the battery hard because of turning engine to carry out tests,
If I charge the battery I can see the volts dropping with a digital volt meter, I have taken glow plug relay out and also the ECU (when battery disconnected)
reconnected and it still drops, thought it could be that, I will start taking fuses out and see if I can find it, I am not sure if the current leak is related to not starting, but will need to find it before using van, could be alternator as that came with engine so might have a problem
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 May 2019, 20:34 Ian, have a squiz at my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62530&hilit=drain+parasitic#p607777

There's a video in there about locating a parasitic drain and how to test for it. Your battery at rest on the car should be 12V or just over, and anything from 14.3 to 17.7 ish with the engine running. That will confirm it is at least charging. If you've done (or had done) any maintenance recently, it might be worth going over all the connections to any ECUs to make sure they have not been dislodged.

Thank I had not thought about door being open thought as light turns off after a bit would not be a problem having door open,but had not thought other things where working because of it, battery is under drivers feet, so left open to charge, I think it still drained over night and think door was shut but not sure, something to watch,