Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Interesting reading Chris. Now just imagine the UK does start to lead the world, and as such develops the finest electric vehicle recharging network in the world, and every home has an electric vehicle and a charging point.

Those homes are going to have to have a compulsory smart meter of some shape or form so that the appropriate "fuel duty" can be recovered from their "filling up" activity, and the overnight reduced demand period may well shrink as the plug-ins are plugged in overnight.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and that telegraph article.....only just realised that it was actually an advertising feature for this lot...with the most awful logo you could ever dream up...

https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/about-us

On a lighter note missed this at the time....The Smart Meter Gimmick
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Batteries

Came across this article which had this rather nice picture of the Johan Cryuff Stadium which I will borrow for educational purposes for a few seconds.

So what is the link with weighty Energy Matters Global and Domestic?
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So what are the oil companies doing.....still apparently rubbing their hands together if BP Group Chief Economist Spencer Dale is to be believed....thats not to say they wont be dabbling in renewables, or electric charging networks through various acquisitions. Basically they will be searching for and pumping out as much oil and gas as possible, and dont worry there will be plenty to go round. So even if he is right, lets say in 300 years of the worlds history we are going to consume most of the oil created over the previous tens, or even hundreds of million years. (surprisingly bang on for me! Just looked it up and apparently 70% of the world's oil was formed in the mesozoic age (252 Million-62 Million years ago).

So BP have come up with a series of lightweight videos released just this week with a few cartoons being drawn behind Mr Wooden presenter himself. This is number 1.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and what is BP's take on electric cars?
At the end of this Spencer Dale compliments his two illustrators work....

"I do like this, the journey from 5 million electric cars to 300 million electric cars.....but impact on oil demand and emissions really quite small...you have captured it perfectly! Really great job. Thank you"
Episode 2

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another thing that has been highlighted* recently is coal - particularly up near you Neil, where they are having much disagreement on a new opencast mine.
It appears that although they are going hammer and tongs to get as much coal out of the ground as possible, there is years worth of coal stockpiled for our remaining coal fired power stations, plus they are importing even more, at a time when we are supposed to be diminishing our use of coal.

As they so succinctly say, where there's muck there's money.

Either Change.org or 38 degrees, can't remember which now.
NewcastleFalcon

Yes Steve, very controversial-one of those jobs & investment versus environmental damage & climate change dilemmas.

3 Million tonnes of coal in the vicinity of Druridge Bay.

The plan was approved unanimously by Northumberland County Council, and by a subsequent public enquiry. It was then rejected by the Secretary of State at the time Sajid Javed on concerns over greenhouse gas emissions and climate change.

On Appeal by the Company, the High Court quashed the decision letter of Sajid Javed.

It now means the company’s planning application will have to be considered afresh by current Communities Secretary James Brokenshire.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Given the fact that it's inevitable that at some point The World will become more or less uninhabitable* due to overpopulation / dangerous atmosphere / lack of natural resources / plague / pestilence / name your poison, etc - how much extra 'lifespan' are we providing to inhabitable period of The World's existence with all the 'greenness' (stopping using plastic bags, electric cars, LED lamps, cutting down on coal, etc, etc) ? Is it going to be years ? decades ? centuries ? longer that human life can comfortably exist on this planet ? How much extra time are we actually buying ourselves ?

* - the point where it's really not a good idea to remain living on Earth.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 15 May 2019, 20:44 - how much extra 'lifespan' are we providing to inhabitable period of The World's existence with all the 'greenness' (stopping using plastic bags, electric cars, LED lamps, cutting down on coal, etc, etc) ? Is it going to be years ? decades ? centuries ? longer that human life can comfortably exist on this planet ? How much extra time are we actually buying ourselves ?

Wow weighty questions, what would Doris do?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Seems a long way off but from 2025, any new homes built will not be heated by gas boilers. (unless that gas is Hydrogen maybe)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gas- ... -s7kbtb6jq

Lets hope the Gas Boiler Manufacturers are a bit more on the ball than the Auto Industry in recognising that a significant change is on the way.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Lets hope there will still be plenty of trees to chop down.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If that Russian volcano does a Vesuvius who knows what the result might be.

When mankind starts to think he can control the climate he's kidding himself.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

white exec wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 08:40
- setting of a limit to the maximum power that can be pulled

I'm struggling to figure out how that will work or what will happen with your household devices if it did.

Power is voltage x current. They can't restrict the voltage, much equipment simply would not work at a lower voltage and if it did would still draw the same power. Besides that would require quite some more equipment than the tiny box they have installed. The current is driven by the load on the circuit over which they have no control. They can't selectively turn off devices or circuits from the meter. In short I don't think it is possible short of turning the power off for periods of time.

I can however see it being a serious safety issue if they ever did it.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Homer wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 20:20
white exec wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 08:40- setting of a limit to the maximum power that can be pulled
I'm struggling to figure out how that will work or what will happen with your household devices if it did.
In France you pay a certain amount for a KWh and you pay more for that KWh if you want to be able to pull 45A rather than 25A. I forget the exact numbers but there are bands which progressively charge more for each KWh. As we have an LPG cylinder and a wood burning fire insert we're on the minimum.

The EDF breaker is then set accordingly and you can see the maximum amperage rate displayed that can be pulled before the breaker trips.

About a year ago EDF popped a letter through our box announcing that they were fitting smart meters and would be coming on such-and-such a date. The chap who tried to sneak off after delivering the letter was still sitting in his van and I told him that we were there for another x weeks and if it wasn't done by then it would be months before we would be back. Nothing happened of course and we're still on our dumb meter.

But what does occur to me is that a combination of the smart meter, the variable amperage breaker and a system that already exists in France that charges different amounts for declared red, blue and white days could make an unholy combination that would do just that.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Homer wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 20:20
white exec wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 08:40
- setting of a limit to the maximum power that can be pulled

Power is voltage x current. They can't restrict the voltage, much equipment simply would not work at a lower voltage and if it did would still draw the same power. Besides that would require quite some more equipment than the tiny box they have installed. The current is driven by the load on the circuit over which they have no control. They can't selectively turn off devices or circuits from the meter. In short I don't think it is possible short of turning the power off for periods of time.

I can however see it being a serious safety issue if they ever did it.

Seems the EU see it differently........

bobins wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 15:00 A bit of background to why Smart Meters are being rolled out:

<much snippage>

Commission Recommendation 2012/148/EU of 9 March 2012 on preparations for the roll-out of smart metering systems (OJ L 73, 13.3.2012, p. 9–22).......
.........The meters must provide two-way communication for maintenance and control, support advanced tariff systems, allow for remote control of the power supply and/or power limitation, and provide import/export facilities."

Quoted from: https://www.emissions-euets.com/interna ... t-metering
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(