On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: On your Bike

Post by Timmo »

Cassettes often look like that when apart, 2-3 alloy spiders, spacers and loose cogs, when the lock ring is torqued up to 40nm as recommended, the cassette holds shape and doesn't move, you will often see wheel sets with Alloy freehub bodies to save weight advise only running alloy spider cassettes to save the steel ones chewing into the splines,
Some of the cheaper cassettes are the majority in a block with the last 2 loose, they are often held together with 3 pins, but as the cassette body is splined in a specific way, the pins are not needed other than for ease of removing the unit,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

old'uns wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 13:21 Cheers .... 😳
May be of interest

viewtopic.php?p=692274#p692274

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Unusual Norton video starts at starting up

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I don't know much about track cycling but I can recognise world class when I see it. Olympic Games track cycling this morning....totally dominant, awesome sporting performance by Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny, and with true class, gave the credit to their supporting team, and the role of the U23 team in their training and their coaches for the plan and its rehearsal and practice for the race. Sport at its best.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There is an endless stream of new design and innovation for two wheel products. Personal taste which you like.

As one commenter put it
"Companies are now really getting to a point where they are reaching past "Conventional" designs wrapped around legacy ICE Powertrains. There is no further need to be restricted to "Legacy Designs" as Electric opens up many options & possibilities."

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

This performs all of the functions for locating power train, steering and suspension while leaving space for an under belly pannier, a tank pannier and an under seat pannier - all without adding side panniers. If the under belly pannier was designed to in include leg shields or even a full fairing then this naked design could become a competent commuter/tourer with plenty of stowage space.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

got around to fitting/swapping bits last week...a little bit of tweaking on both but turned out OK.
not too sure i like the jump from 37>46 on the Shimano casssette, the Sunrace is a more natural even ramp at the top end with a 40>46, another Sunrace ordered and here if i need/want to change.
Oval chainring i'm not convinced about although i did wimp out and compromise....Oval and 28t. £30 for it so i may buy a 30t Oval and try it.

so basically the Felt has the Whyte Suntour 1x setup with new derailleur/ shifter the same spec as the Whyte, used cassette and chainring, new chain - due for replacement anyway
the Whyte has new cassette, chain, RaceFace Aeffect cranks, Superstar Alloy 28t Oval and new floating rotors/pads going on soon

i 'must' stop myself from looking for new wheels for the Felt...

pics when i can find them...new phone(s) so they could be anywhere!!
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

I have the same problem with my phones. I always promise to put all my photos on our main computer but never do so always playing hunt the photo/phone charger/data lead, sod it - where's the gin. Your point about Shimano gear ratios has just rung bells with my MTB/tourer. It has always felt like they missed a ratio out when going for the high range. Almost like going into overdrive.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A very odd experience today, we were just coming back from a 60km ride when a heavy thunderstorm rolled in. The last bit is a 1:7 climb into the town - by the time we got to it there was a veritable river running down it at quite a rate, which gave the very peculiar sense of riding backwards as the water was rushing downhill faster than I was riding up!! We were damp to say the least by the time we got home🙄🙄🌧️🌧️🌧️🌧️
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Harley Davidson re-invent the chopper

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

IMG_20210809_113333.jpg
IMG_20210809_113236.jpg
unexpected day off so a 12 miler around some parts of the Chase before the logging machines make the singletracks disappear, nice warm day, sunny until i walked through the door and the heavens opened..i was very lucky!
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
NewcastleFalcon

bikes with motors!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i used to find on a cassette that it felt like the gearing had been compromised in the middle, you were either spinning the legs or Grinding away, i think it was on a sunrace cassette and i swapped for a shimy one, 11 speed? cant remember exactly as was on the old bikes pre fire, i have just dropped the front ring on my more xc style bike to a 30 from a 32 as really struggled with it on a loop recently on the climbs (i Hate climbing at the best of times hahah!), was a lot easier to pop a new ring on than cassette as chain wouldnt be long enough to take a 46 on the back, the 12sp big Rowdy bike runs a 32f 11-51 rear combo, use first a suprising amount! but then, it is 16+kg of bike without me on it! add me and it takes a lot of effort to get up the hills!! :-D
i always got carried away looking for wheels, i'd set out a budget and go off searching for off the shelf ones, then see a Little bit more got a nicer hub, or double butted spokes, or rim etc. i started building my own in the end, gave the oppertunity to spec exactly how i wanted them, and i find wheel building quite theraputic!!
was reading something about the electric scooters this week after a teenager had one seized from him for riding it around Newquay, An e-scooter was seized by police in Newquay today as the rider did not have a licence or insurance to use it, - quote from the article on Cornwall live,
"The incident was recounted on the Devon and Cornwall Roads Policing Team Twitter account @DC_RPT at 9.48pm.
In order to ride an e-scooter in a public place or on a road in the UK you need to have the category Q entitlement on your driving licence, which is included in a full or provisional driving licence in this country.
If you have a provisional licence, you also do not need to show L-plates when using an e-scooter, which have a maximum speed of 15.5mph and must not be used on the pavement.
But you also require motor insurance to ride an e-scooter."
i did think it was quite interesting, would our Normal insurance cover it? asuming minimum of 3rd party liability required?? don't see half as many around here as i thought i would after christmas this year, perhaps the lack of useability affected the idea???
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

Bit about e-scooters as part of a Government trial from 2020....these areas covered
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-t ... rial-areas

As Timmo outlined you may use an e-scooter on the road (except motorways) and in cycle lanes.
You must not use an e-scooter on the pavement.
E-scooters must have motor insurance, but in the trial of rental scooters, this is this will be provided by the e-scooter rental operator.

Insurance/damage on hire is an area of the new mobility of which I have a major mistrust. If you are just going to hop on hop off an electric scooter you aren't going to examine the fine print of the insurance or contractual arrangements. Same with any of these shared use things whether they are bikes electric or fully pedal-powered, and even more so with the future vision of shared use cars/pods, or summon a car when you need one on some kind of instant hire arrangement.

Trials are taking place in these areas:
Bournemouth and Poole
Buckinghamshire (Aylesbury and High Wycombe)
Cambridge
Cheshire West and Chester (Chester)
Copeland (Whitehaven)
Derby
Essex (Basildon, Chelmsford, Colchester and Clacton)
Gloucestershire (Cheltenham and Gloucester)
Great Yarmouth
Kent (Canterbury)
Liverpool
Milton Keynes
Newcastle
North and West Northamptonshire (Northampton, Kettering, Corby and Wellingborough)
North Devon (Barnstaple)
North Lincolnshire (Scunthorpe)
Norwich
Nottingham
Oxfordshire (Oxford)
Redditch
Rochdale
Salford
Slough
Solent (Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton)
Somerset West (Taunton)
South Somerset (Yeovil, Chard and Crewkerne)
Staffordshire (Stafford and Newcastle-Under-Lyme)
Sunderland
Tees Valley (Hartlepool and Middlesbrough)
West Midlands (Birmingham, Coventry and Sandwell)
West of England Combined Authority (Bristol and Bath)
York
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 19 Aug 2021, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

I've been trying to persuade the wife to use an electric scooter for work :lol: It's only about 2 miles away and the Xantia's have hardly warmed up by then :?
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch