On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 08:02I guess zwift is the cyclists Zoom! Both rocketed since the first lock down!
Indeed, there is a continuing world shortage of Turbo Trainers... Since lockdown they have been in very heavy demand and all the virtual cycling platforms, especially Zwift, have seen a massive rise in use... As has the use of the Discord system for chatting whilst on virtual group rides...

I'm lucky to have a semi-permanent Zwift setup in my conservatory. When I do go for a winter road ride I use my Propel aero bike - wholly unsuitable really but a lot easier than going to the trouble of dismounting my more appropriate TCR from the Turbo Trainer!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

How does the Discord thing work Jim? Is it like an open chat channel? Does it give the riders althat are around you as such or the whole shebang?
I know the turbo's and smart trainers hit the most wanted lists for people, did see how the deals available on them pre Christmas '19 suddenly dried up too! Like a lot of cycling related items! People will pay if they want them!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't fully understand how Discord works Timmo... It's normally the preserve of spotty kids playing Xbox games :lol:

A 'server' has to be established for your group and selected members can be invited in so it's not fully open. Once in you have full two-way speech communication with all other members of the group who are online, text messaging, video sharing and picture sharing... Messages can also be sent to group members offline...

It works well once you get your head around how it works. I use a headset when using it for chat... Then, it's just like you are with all the others :)

Yes, indeed, it seems a lot of bile bits are still in short supply - not helped by Brexit too if some social media is to be believed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

it does sound somewhat compicated! i guess it does go a lot further into making the experience more lifelike as such, they'll be on extra screens to the sides soon like the motor simulators! :-D

supply lines are taking a big hit at the mo Jim, transportation costs have become the hottest topic! lack of ships, lack of crews to man what is there, Lack of empty containers due to being stuck at the international port links have all pushed what was an £1800 box to starting bids of £10k! knock on effects are that the most basic bikes has jumped £100 and have a very minimal component spec, high end bikes have jumped over a grand in a matter of months, a lot of parts and tools have bumped back 2 months, most annoyingly, that includes the Shiny new tool updated sets i have been waiting on!!! a lot of items are pending june/july, hopefully, i have enough stock of the standard items to keep me going through! struggling this week with a bottom bracket named after a certain terrorist group! makes google searches interesting!! no supplier stocks till march at best, most alternatives not stocking thr 73mm, those that are available are Rediculously expensive! somewhat stressful in the shed! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 17:32 it does sound somewhat compicated! i guess it does go a lot further into making the experience more lifelike as such, they'll be on extra screens to the sides soon like the motor simulators! :-D
I'm quite surprised the extra screens have yet to make an appearance but I'm sure it's not far off and will add to the realism a good bit... It'll be the next big thing to be released with considerable fanfare I expect...

That's serious on the bike and spares supply situation... One can only hope it'll all smooth out in the not too distant but for now I'm glad I have a fair stock of running spares to hand and no intentions of replacing any of my bikes any time soon!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Making the most of the weather today :D
cliftonstrava.jpg
For the most part it was gorgeously sunny and warm and a real pleasure to be out and about...

I made the absolute most of it as things are due to change with snow and sub-zero weather on the way...

I got home just as the heavens opened - again!
cliftonbike.jpg
I'll be back on Zwift for the next few days...
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Good milage again Jim! I'll be out tomorrow morning, temps suggest 2-4 degrees feeling like - 1 to the giddy heights of 1! No doubt my riding buddy will suggest an exposed route like always when it's minging/freezing weather! 😁😁

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'd have been out today had I known what a lovely day it's been here today Timmo but instead did a 32 miler on Zwift...

Have an excellent ride tomorrow :D No chance of me going out tomorrow due to forecast snow but I guess you'll not see any of it down your way :)
Jim

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Missed the last 2 w/e's, one with snow and other with washing machine issues, weather looking cold tomorrow so off out in the mud and slop today
Screenshot_20210206_135749_com.wahoofitness.fitness.jpg
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good distance on an MTB Old'Uns :D Was that all off-road?
Jim

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

I'm about 5-600m away from a trail to get on the Chase so no real road distance.
Mix of gravel, fire roads, singletrack and forest trails and plenty of them that I don't think I will ever do them all.... some are too far away from Coffee and Cake 😀
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thats a nice loop old un, fair bit of climbing there!! :-O wasnt Cannock one of the if not The first Trailcentre in the UK?? know its reffered to a Lot when mtb uk history comes up! How are the trails in your area? all of ours have been mostly over walked and are now mostly stretches of boddy mud meanering through the tree lines!
sunday was Very fresh for half the ride down here then mostly shelterted so turned somewhat boil in the bag!! had a very non event off, not really sure what happened, trail ridden countless times, suddenly find myself on a mostly diagonally Over the bars into the granite undergrowth! sat there for a mo looking at the floor to see where i stopped, alas one of those things! subconciously must have grabbed a handful of brake! little achy yesterday and today! :-D still battling the toes issues, but seems to be down to lack of movement in the toes, wiggle them as much as you can in mtb shoes helps as does change of position to heels on pedals, which is very odd feeling! :-D
we did get some snow today Jim, settled on the patio slabs, greenhouse but not enough to settle on the car roof! the eldest did manage enough snow from the car windows to make A snowball, which was dutifully dispatched in my direction after i opened the shed door Stupidly on her request (excitedly!)!! cold enough but too wet for it to settle!

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You have the same issue with your toes as I have with my fingers when running in the cold Timmo... And yes, wriggling my fingers helps a little :) No problem with toes and feet when running as the running keeps them warm, unless you have to wade through deep water!
Timmo wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:04 we did get some snow today Jim, settled on the patio slabs, greenhouse but not enough to settle on the car roof! the eldest did manage enough snow from the car windows to make A snowball, which was dutifully dispatched in my direction after i opened the shed door Stupidly on her request (excitedly!)!! cold enough but too wet for it to settle!
Magic :-D What is it with snow and the urge to make snowballs and hurl them at people? :lol: Great fun!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You can get heated gloves and socks, should that be of interest. My Mum suffers from Reynaud's disease, which means that in cold weather her hands seize up and hurt like hell. Some years ago I got her two pairs of gloves that have heater elements all the way down to the fingertips. She reckons that is one of the best Christmas presents I got her! She was a bit bemused at first that she got TWO pairs ("I can only wear one pair at a time, James!"), to which I replied that when she wears out one pair she has a second pair to replace them. They are a bit heavy on AA batteries though. For people with Raynaud's you HAVE to get gloves/socks that heat all the way down to the tips of the digits for them to be more effective.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

I shall have a nose at the heated socks, the annoying thing is that it's Just the toes, rest of the foot is warm, they get to the painfully cold state if I've not stopped at all,

'58 C2 Code