Site formatting updated

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Site formatting updated

Post by Paul-R »

It's not strictly site formatting but I wonder if you could look at the parameters set for the "New Posts" button? I get the feeling that "New" is only an hour or two. It would be much more helpful if that could be extended to, say, 24 hours.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re:

Post by xantia_v6 »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:17 Okay, done that. Logged back in and all I get is two black strips with 'French Car Discussion Forums' and 'Members' Area' which, when clicked on, lead nowhere.

Sorry to be a pain, but can you go through the cache clearing steps again?

We had an issue this morning (my fault) which I have now corrected, but you could have picked up the bad data in your cache before I fixed it.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:21 It's not strictly site formatting but I wonder if you could look at the parameters set for the "New Posts" button? I get the feeling that "New" is only an hour or two. It would be much more helpful if that could be extended to, say, 24 hours.

I am fairly sure that the "new posts" search only shows posts made since the previous time you were logged in or active on the forum, there is no preset time.
For users who are more frequently active, I would recommend the "active topics" search instead, as that does show every topic that has been updated in the last week (in time order).
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I tried the Active Topics button earlier today but that didn't seem to pick up on everything as when I clicked on Unread Posts there was an extra item there. It's possible that was posted in between the two clicks of course!

The reason I like the New Posts button is because it shows posts I've read as well as those I haven't which neither of the other two options offer. I never log out so there must be some time after which the system "forgets" I've been active.

LATER EDIT

Maybe remove any limit on New Posts? I wouldn't mind if there were page after page listing the posts. I don't have to go down any further than I want to.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I have both my devices sorted now. I do say without thebguys that are computer experts keeping the forum going there may well not be a forum, and I do appreciate the time they spend on it, just for the love of the forum. I think both xantiav6 and givemeabreak must be pissed off with numpties like myself getting bogged down and criticising their decisions when I know SFA about it! I apologise if I have upset or annoyed them, I am not ignorant, I just find it very difficult to understand technology, and its also very difficult for me to understand the need for change. Every time there is what to me seems a massive change it makse me hit the "I havent got a clue and it makes me crack up" button
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s not an uncommon reaction Davie, and understandable, but we will always try to help members to resolve the issues.

Despite testing before changes are made, you can never fully iron out all the possible bugs that may present themselves, but we do try and minimise the disruption, and will always be on hand to help you work around any issues with specific devices wherever possible. :)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

xantia_v6 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 12:42
Paul-R wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:21 It's not strictly site formatting but I wonder if you could look at the parameters set for the "New Posts" button? I get the feeling that "New" is only an hour or two. It would be much more helpful if that could be extended to, say, 24 hours.

I am fairly sure that the "new posts" search only shows posts made since the previous time you were logged in or active on the forum, there is no preset time.
For users who are more frequently active, I would recommend the "active topics" search instead, as that does show every topic that has been updated in the last week (in time order).

^^That is how it works for me.^^
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can rarely access email notifications - not a forum problem but BT.
They recently introduced a 'log out' thingy after about twenty minutes.
When I go to log back in I get this:
Screenshot-2018-6-23 Email Login Page.png
Which is different to the usual log in screen and won't accept my details - either saved of manual input.

Tried to get some help from BT and the best they could say was to clear the cache :(

Doesn't work and recently I get this at startup so no BT email.

Sometimes works on another computer but not very often.
Grump grump grump.

So it isn't just this forum that has problems
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Right, sorted. Deleted the history again and all 'seems' well.

I second Davie's comments but reitterate that in order to help such changes we have to be able to understand what you want.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 13:16 I tried the Active Topics button earlier today but that didn't seem to pick up on everything as when I clicked on Unread Posts there was an extra item there. It's possible that was posted in between the two clicks of course!

The reason I like the New Posts button is because it shows posts I've read as well as those I haven't which neither of the other two options offer. I never log out so there must be some time after which the system "forgets" I've been active.

LATER EDIT

Maybe remove any limit on New Posts? I wouldn't mind if there were page after page listing the posts. I don't have to go down any further than I want to.

I agree that the "new posts" search is fairly useless as it stands, and a while ago I wanted to remove it from the header (which is much easier to do), but some people seem to like it. Modifying the behaviour of the "new posts" search is not likely to be a quick option.

I suggest that you try the "active topics" search again, as it does show the posts that you have already read, and I am sure that it does not miss any, because I have been using it every day for years and never had any surprises with the results.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A modification - I use "Unread Posts" not "New Posts" as they are endless.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, I have to use Unread Posts to catch all the, err, unread posts but I like being able to review the new posts that I have read as well.

If I read a post and then later on decide I want to read it again or write a comment having new posts display without any date limit would make that easy. As it stands at the moment if I'm too late for (the current) New Posts then I have to go hunt it out hoping I can remember which section it's in.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul, when see a post and want to come back to it, why not simply use the 'Bookmark' button? One click and it's on your list.
Bookmark.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Bookmark is a nice idea in principle but that presumes that I can plan that far ahead!

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

daviemck2006 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 15:03 ...and its also very difficult for me to understand the need for change. Every time there is what to me seems a massive change it makse me hit the "I havent got a clue and it makes me crack up" button

Software and hardware, just like us Davie, gets outdated and slow. Someone comes up with a more efficient, and in the IT world, more secure way of it, so we test it then change happens. Obviously we don't have a UAT group here (user acceptance testing) like we'd have at work but it's essentially the same. It's all for good reason, not to annoy us. Mike, Marc and the other admins are *very* efficient at it compared to most places I've worked too!

I know all about this because I'm the guy who gets to fix it when changes go wrong. I've just spent a few hours sorting out a critical Unix server at work because someone applied some patches to it without bothering to test and verify them first. It killed it. Wait... They're offshore. They can't do anything as it's no longer accessible remotely. Michel to the rescue.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I just wish that I could understand technology more. Its more myself I get frustrated at when changes happen, and I understand that things move on and change rapidly in this day and age. Im just glad that I am not the skipper of a fishing boat, I was on a mates boat a few weeks ago, he had just got his wheelhouse uprgaded with every item of navigational and saftey electronic equipment renewed. 14 bloody touch screens to control everything apare from forward, backward and steering. I wouldnt have known where to start, and there were 14 different mice and 14 keyboards as back up incase the touch screen fails or the skipper is a lazy git and not lean over to change something!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2