FAPLite

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: FAPLite

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would just give a word of caution about hooking things up to the OBDII port - it is not designed to be active other than for controlled diagnostics - in fact Citroen now state you can void your warranty if you do - so be advised:
The fitting of electrical equipment or accessories not approved by CITROËN may cause excessive current consumption and faults and failures with the electrical system of your vehicle. Contact a CITROËN dealer for information on the range of approved accessories.

– As a safety measure, access to the diagnostic socket, used for the vehicle's electronic systems, is reserved strictly for CITROËN dealers or qualified workshops, equipped with the special tools required (risk of malfunctions of the vehicle's electronic systems that could cause breakdowns or serious accidents). The Manufacturer cannot be held responsible if this advice is not followed.

– Any modification or adaptation not intended or authorised by CITROËN or carried out without meeting the technical requirements defined by the Manufacturer will result in the suspension of the commercial warranty.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jay Farnsworth
My Cars: Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive 1.6HDi 2011 (Current)
Citroen C3 VTR+ 1.6HDi 2010 (Previous)
Citroen Xantia LX 1.9TD 1997 (Previous)
Peugeot 106 XND 1.5D Graduate 1994 (Previous)
Renault 5 GTD 1.6D 1986 (Previous)

Post by Jay Farnsworth »

Hi,

Been a while since I posted on FCF (not since back in my Xantia days :) ). However, as this thread has come back to life recently, I am hoping some of you might have experience of using FAP (or Diagbox) and the DV6 engines from around 2011 (pre-2013). Sorry if this is high-jacking the thread a little.

Also, in regard to the comment above. I'm sure Citroen would put a warning up about not using the OBD-II port, I am sure they would prefer to scare people into getting their £100 diagnostic done rather than reading the codes and keeping an eye on their vehicle themselves (although I accept there is also probably a 3rd-party equipment liability angle, love to see them prove that... pauses as he thinks about how they could do what Android did a set a ROM counter on the ECU software :cry: ).

Anyway, my exhaust temperature does not change from 149°C on either FAP or Diagbox on my 2011 C3 Pic 92bhp HDi. On my parents 2015 C3 Pic it does but that is a later ECU (and engine). I am trying to find out whether I actually have a problem with the EGT or whether it simply wasn't fully read on the earlier ECU. N.B. I have checked out the EGT sensor (1618NF), it has the correct resistance and it is receiving 5 volts from the ECU, there are no EGT error codes (there is p1401 and p1402 but they appear to be an unrelated circuit) and the car still apparently regens.

I am wondering if I do have a problem or not, or whether the EGT in the ECU only increases after a certain 'emergency' temperature like on early 2000s VAG vehicles. Any confirmation that anyone can give that they can read the EGT with FAP or Diagbox on their DV6 engine (Citroen, Pug, or even Ford/Volvo) of about this era would be really helpful [-o< [-o< [-o<
Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive 1.6HDi 2011 80k miles
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Jay Farnsworth wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:00Also, in regard to the comment above. I'm sure Citroen would put a warning up about not using the OBD-II port, I am sure they would prefer to scare people into getting their £100 diagnostic done rather than reading the codes and keeping an eye on their vehicle themselves .....
My warning wasn't to do with connecting diagnostic kit for diagnostic troubleshooting - it was specifically to do with what the OP was doing - connecting other devices to the OBDII port permanently while driving... which is not what it is for and what the Citroen warning specifically relates to. :wink:

Marc
Jay Farnsworth
My Cars: Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive 1.6HDi 2011 (Current)
Citroen C3 VTR+ 1.6HDi 2010 (Previous)
Citroen Xantia LX 1.9TD 1997 (Previous)
Peugeot 106 XND 1.5D Graduate 1994 (Previous)
Renault 5 GTD 1.6D 1986 (Previous)

Post by Jay Farnsworth »

Hi @givemeabreak :)

Yeah, I got the meaning of your post. I was more coming from the fact that as OBDII readers are now becoming more and more common knowledge, i.e., that rubbish you find on 'that site that rhymes with fish' and FB adverts, it must be in their conscious that more and more people can find out their own DTCs and read real-time data.

The current draw is so small I can't believe that the OBDII port couldn't sustain it. It is only a data port being read. Now if someone put a device that was dodgy and drew 2A, was badly wired or something that wrote to the ECU constantly slowing it down, in that context I can understand the reason for the caveat. However, there are plenty of systems out there that have been reading ODBII data while driving since the interface came out, I remember work vehicles switching over to an ODBII interface tracking system when the ports started becoming standard. No issues, manufacturer approved. I don't believe that a constant read has not been considered.

However, part of me has a suspicion that someone might also be worried about an income stream or that manufacturers might be worried that people won't pay for the higher-end edition of a model when folks can get the data the fancy version has on the base model with a reader and some software. The extra dashboard features, e.g., temperatures, mpg, voltages, oil temperature, etc., are a selling point on some models. OK, not the only selling point but it does loose them an angle to push the 'deluxe' version with.

Still interesting it is now a thing though and I appreciate you pointing out the warning.
Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive 1.6HDi 2011 80k miles
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll just say that raw connection to the CAN data on a vehicle from the OBD II port compromises the vehicle's safety and security if it has a device connected that sends that data wirelessly or via an internet connection. These ports were never designed for anything other than a plug in diagnostic and then to be removed after the session (including where driving for the purposes of testing / calibration). So without being paranoid, there have been studies and papers on the dangers of exposing the vehicle's systems this way.

Slightly exaggerating a bit - think of K.I.T.T. and his 'Microwave Jammer'... and you get the picture. :-D

Marc
ElioFernandes
My Cars: 308 t9 2.0 blue hdi 180 bhp

Post by ElioFernandes »

bobins wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 12:40 Prompted by Xantippa's request yesterday, I downloaded FAPlite to see what it could do - and it's actually quite good :)
It worked 'straight out of the box' for me using an old OBDII reader I've owned about 4 or 5 years:

FAPlite (as opposed the paid for version) gave me these readings straight away:
Not sure about the Fan Speed 100% reading though !!

If you go for the 'paid for' version you should get the following listed additions (note - some are already available in the free version)

I tried out the cooling fan actuator test incorporated into FAPlite and it span up the engine fan no problem.
FAPlite reported a preheat fault but wouldn't clear it - not surprising really as I think that's a spurious fault anyway !
FAPlite worked straight away on both my Samsung Galaxy A3 phone and Lenovo tablet running Android 6.0.1
I'm very tempted to go for the paid for version, although more out of interest than any real diagnostics necessity.

Note - diagnostics performed on 2009 C5 X7.
#hi there does it reset FAP fluid?
ElioFernandes
My Cars: 308 t9 2.0 blue hdi 180 bhp

Post by ElioFernandes »

does it reset FAP fluid?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Don't know, I'm afraid. I reset mine with a Lexia-Diagbox.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
207Peugeot14
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Peugeot 207 2011
1.4 hdi 78,000 miles

Post by 207Peugeot14 »

Jay Farnsworth wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:00 Hi,

Been a while since I posted on FCF (not since back in my Xantia days :) ). However, as this thread has come back to life recently, I am hoping some of you might have experience of using FAP (or Diagbox) and the DV6 engines from around 2011 (pre-2013). Sorry if this is high-jacking the thread a little.

Also, in regard to the comment above. I'm sure Citroen would put a warning up about not using the OBD-II port, I am sure they would prefer to scare people into getting their £100 diagnostic done rather than reading the codes and keeping an eye on their vehicle themselves (although I accept there is also probably a 3rd-party equipment liability angle, love to see them prove that... pauses as he thinks about how they could do what Android did a set a ROM counter on the ECU software :cry: ).

Anyway, my exhaust temperature does not change from 149°C on either FAP or Diagbox on my 2011 C3 Pic 92bhp HDi. On my parents 2015 C3 Pic it does but that is a later ECU (and engine). I am trying to find out whether I actually have a problem with the EGT or whether it simply wasn't fully read on the earlier ECU. N.B. I have checked out the EGT sensor (1618NF), it has the correct resistance and it is receiving 5 volts from the ECU, there are no EGT error codes (there is p1401 and p1402 but they appear to be an unrelated circuit) and the car still apparently regens.

I am wondering if I do have a problem or not, or whether the EGT in the ECU only increases after a certain 'emergency' temperature like on early 2000s VAG vehicles. Any confirmation that anyone can give that they can read the EGT with FAP or Diagbox on their DV6 engine (Citroen, Pug, or even Ford/Volvo) of about this era would be really helpful [-o< [-o< [-o<
Hi oldish post sorry to jump onto it..

Did you work out why your EGT sensor reads 149°c all the time as my car does the same thing, it's a 2011 207 1.4 Hdi with fault code P1490 showing which relates to "RISK OF PARTICULAR FILTER CLOGGING"

Any info would be very helpful

Thanks